Rockbros photochromic glasses

Daniel Silva

Okay. And the next obvious question is what is the perceived lifetime of the product?

If I scratched around the garage long enough I'll probably find the boxed pair of original D'arcs some 20yrs or more later ... :D

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The photochromic lenses on the Rockbros adjust perfectly, i have Oakley Jawbreakers with Oakley photochromic lenses and to my untrained eye there is very little difference. I suppose the experts will tell you otherwise regarding the UV protection and so on, but i have really sensitive eyes and they both work really well for me. The Rockbros frame quality is also really good I'm very impressed overall.

They've done tests on cheapie sunglasses vs all the traditional brands and in terms of UV protection the cheapies just about all passed.

I think the technology is so mature it's not difficult or expensive to produce decent lenses any longer.

Finding myself wishing that my Jawbreakers were D'arcs.

Photochromic lenses appear to be developing "spots". :(

My two cents on this...i would be patient - there are often good deals on 2nd hand / lightly used oakley and 100% glasses on the hub and you can often pick up a pair for around r1000.

A little more than your budget but also better quality glasses

If I scratched around the garage long enough I'll probably find the boxed pair of original D'arcs some 20yrs or more later ... :D

Looong before 2000.... I remember the 1st lot of D'arcs were unboxed at roughly the same time as the cricket ball on an elastic that you set up in the garden and tried to kill your mates with.  I got paid in D'arcs by old man Hodson to be in the advert for the cricket thing with Jonty..... so I'm going 1993 ish

It means you don't actually know until you try and claim.... :devil: 

had a pair (d'arcs that is), frame snapped second time i used it. took it back to where i bought it, almost 2 years later and no reply. actually forgot about it till i saw this post 

had a pair (d'arcs that is), frame snapped second time i used it. took it back to where i bought it, almost 2 years later and no reply. actually forgot about it till i saw this post

Contact them directly. Or call Omnico, they will be able to assist.

Okay. And the next obvious question is what is the perceived lifetime of the product?

Until the item is discontinued, in this case though, they often assist by replacing with something of a similar value/style.

Finding myself wishing that my Jawbreakers were D'arcs.

Photochromic lenses appear to be developing "spots". :(

That's what pee's me off about Oakleys, you pay a fortune and can look after them religiously and then the coatings will flake off, so sad to bad..

I sent retailer (a well known LBS) a pic and got a response along the lines of "that's odd".

So let's see what else I get from them and indirectly the distributors of Oakley.

post-2688-0-29477200-1607940564_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thomo

I have a number of Oakleys, either at one point in time the lenses went mad or the frames started peeling. 

Just recently started cycling and bought a pair of Darc's and so far I am impressed with the lens quality as I have quite light sensitive eyes. 

But time will tell.

That's what pee's me off about Oakleys, you pay a fortune and can look after them religiously and then the coatings will flake off, so sad to bad..

Same problem with two pairs.

Decided yesterday afternoon time to try Revu for replacement lenses.

Pleasant dealings thus far and will report back when fitted.

I've bought 3 or 4 pairs of Oakleys over the years (as general sunglasses, not specifically for cycling). All of them had stuff peeling off the lenses. 

Looking to get myself a pair of photochromic glasses for mountain biking. The Oakley ones are wayy to expensive but I also don’t want something cheap and crappy that doesn’t work, I’ve found a decent pair on takealot for R800 and wanted to see what the quality is like, has anyone used these rockbros photochromic glasses before ?

I got these exact same Rockbros a few months ago. Also didn't want to pay for Oakleys and decided not to get Darcs either because, well, sometimes I just like trying something different.

I can feel it's not necessarily top quality, but so far the photochromic lense is doing what it's supposed to. Frame is also light and comfy. Also won't necessarily cry when / if they eventually break.

I sent retailer (a well known LBS) a pic and got a response along the lines of "that's odd".

So let's see what else I get from them and indirectly the distributors of Oakley.

That is especially sucky, it's not just peeling in isolated spots, it's over the whole lens. The coating has failed due to a gross lack of durability, I exact R50 fong kong glasses to do that.

Sunglass lenses should only die from scratches and that's it.