Things you've heard people call parts or equipment

DR ◣◢

In fairness, that 99% refers to a "shammy". :D

Probably because it was such a horrible experience it can’t be forgotten. (I speak from experience)

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don’t ever ask to borrow a “star” screwdriver from me. I don’t have any of those. Phillips, Torx, Hex, Flat, Slotted amongst others I can try help but star, sorry you need a telescope for that.

Edited by WrightJnr

Was “hydrolic” vs “hydraulic” mentioned yet?

Hydrolic disk breaks

Is this thread supposed to be funny names people call equipment? Looks like it's turned into the grammar and spelling Nazi thread.

Cycling computer/gps = ‘Speedo’....is also a fun one. I guess it comes from a time where that was basically all they did

Clipless pedals? Should be clip pedals?

No, clip pedals refers to pedals with toe clips (like the ones on stationary bikes in virgin active). When we got rid of toe clips and used shoes with cleats it became clipless (ie: the lack of toe clips).

Please don’t ever ask to borrow a “star” screwdriver from me. I don’t have any of those. Phillips, Torx, Hex, Flat, Slotted amongst others I can try help but star, sorry you need a telescope for that.

Don't ever come ask to borrow a flat from me. Common.

As someone that uses tools to earn a living and always worked with my hands I have grown up hearing all these weird and wonderful names for tools.

Monkey wrench???? Multi grips!!!!!

Also there is a big difference between a plastic hammer and a mallet. 

I have heard a few funny names for a shifting spanner as well, the best being a vrystaat micrometer.

Don't ever come ask to borrow a flat from me. Common.

As someone that uses tools to earn a living and always worked with my hands I have grown up hearing all these weird and wonderful names for tools.

Monkey wrench???? Multi grips!!!!!

Also there is a big difference between a plastic hammer and a mallet. 

I have heard a few funny names for a shifting spanner as well, the best being a vrystaat micrometer.

Or a appy vernier  :D