Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

There was an incident involving cyclists and motor bikes this morning on Chapman's peak.
They closed the road for a while.
Does anyone know anything more about it ?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, splat said:

There was an incident involving cyclists and motor bikes this morning on Chapman's peak.
They closed the road for a while.
Does anyone know anything more about it ?

Just know that the motorbike ended up on the wrong side of the road and was not doing the speed limit.

Wont share condition of the people as at this point what I have heard is hear say.

he incident involved motorcyclists in a head on scenario. Ebike and ICEbike collided. No word on injuries yet but it looked pretty serious for the road to have been closed to both cyclists and motor traffic

Ambulances also noted at Bootleggers heading back to Camps Bay - not too sure what was happening there either.

Strongs to all. 🙏🏻

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

he incident involved motorcyclists in a head on scenario. Ebike and ICEbike collided. No word on injuries yet but it looked pretty serious for the road to have been closed to both cyclists and motor traffic

I heard from a reliable source that the cyclist was hit head on by the motorcyclist while descending Chappies direction Noordhoek. Supposedly the motorcyclist was passing a car on a blind corner.

Note, I don't think the car in pic was involved, think it was just passing through afterwards.

IMG-20240218-WA0008.jpg

Edited by NC_lurker

1 hour ago, Thomo said:

Ambulances also noted at Bootleggers heading back to Camps Bay - not too sure what was happening there either.

Strongs to all. 🙏🏻

Supposedly not cycling involved. It sounds like an elderly gent passed away.

1 minute ago, NC_lurker said:

I heard from a reliable source that the cyclist was hit head on by the motorcyclist while descending Chappies direction Noordhoek. Supposedly the motorcyclist was passing a car on a blind corner.

IMG-20240218-WA0008.jpg

May the fleas of 2024 camels infest this cretins leathers boots and helmet, that he scratches himself till he bleeds to death. 
every decent down chappies is a battle to avoid an accident and nothing gets done about the motoring public disregard for the speed limit and staying left of the white line. 

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

May the fleas of 2024 camels infest this cretins leathers boots and helmet, that he scratches himself till he bleeds to death. 
every decent down chappies is a battle to avoid an accident and nothing gets done about the motoring public disregard for the speed limit and staying left of the white line. 

But there is a sign...

IMG-20240218-WA0010.jpg

Just now, NC_lurker said:

But there is a sign...

IMG-20240218-WA0010.jpg

No one driver or motorcyclist adheres to it. That speed is sufficiently slow to demand all traffic only crawl up slowly. But every day it’s a race track with motorists forcing cyclists against the wall. 
but remember to ride singlefile because not adhering to that Karen interpretation of the law makes you the biggest most vilified criminal in the world 

So friends of mine were driving on chappies this morning and were overtaken by the motorbikes on a blind corner a few seconds before. They noted that the guys were flying and commented how risky it was. Then came around the very next corner and found that is exactly what happened 😞 not a great sight for a family with 2 young kids (or anyone for that matter) to witness. Absolutely terrible, hoping by some miracle the cyclist is ok 🙏

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

No one driver or motorcyclist adheres to it. That speed is sufficiently slow to demand all traffic only crawl up slowly. But every day it’s a race track with motorists forcing cyclists against the wall. 
but remember to ride singlefile because not adhering to that Karen interpretation of the law makes you the biggest most vilified criminal in the world 

There is a reason its 20km/h as on those roads, those cars cant stay in the lane.

37 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

There is a reason its 20km/h as on those roads, those cars cant stay in the lane.

Can bicycles be caught speeding? Pretty sure I go way faster than 20kph

I actually had the same question. But thought the "wound was still fresh".

Another example of this is coming down Helshoogte pass into Stellenbosch (or Sugarbush into Hout Bay). I believe the speed limit is 60km/h and cyclist normally clock north of 75km/h (me included).

Edited by Ncayi

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

I had a few words with some guys on twitter earlier today who seemed to think cyclists on chappies feel entitled and should go and ride somewhere else, I gave up very soon as it was the usual rhetoric and I did not feel like getting agitated.