Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

56 minutes ago, dave303e said:

So you must get over yourself, same way cars must get over themselves when it comes to bikes and wait for a safe spot to pass.

I just smile and wave and pass when it's safe.

On my morning cycle route there are a couple of regulars who I greet every morning. The tannie with the brisk walk, the guy taking his three dogs (one of them is a tri-pod) for a walk while he listens to KFM on his phone. The same faces pedalling around the loop in the opposite direction. The MyCiti bus driver who always stops at the same spot and gets out for a ciggie. I manage two loops during his smoke break. The dude at the bus stop in his overall working for City of Cape Town. Then the dude and his wife taking a brisk walk around the same loop every morning with their somewhat chubby staffie cross. The same staffie that religously takes a dump in the road, slap bang in the middle of the path all the cyclists ride. I'm so accustomed to it I expect a turd in the road each morning, and I'm yet to be disappointed.

It's almost therapeutic to be honest. not the turd.  the ride.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I just smile and wave and pass when it's safe.

On my morning cycle route there are a couple of regulars who I greet every morning. The tannie with the brisk walk, the guy taking his three dogs (one of them is a tri-pod) for a walk while he listens to KFM on his phone. The same faces pedalling around the loop in the opposite direction. The MyCiti bus driver who always stops at the same spot and gets out for a ciggie. I manage two loops during his smoke break. The dude at the bus stop in his overall working for City of Cape Town. Then the dude and his wife taking a brisk walk around the same loop every morning with their somewhat chubby staffie cross. The same staffie that religously takes a dump in the road, slap bang in the middle of the path all the cyclists ride. I'm so accustomed to it I expect a turd in the road each morning, and I'm yet to be disappointed.

It's almost therapeutic to be honest. not the turd.  the ride.

Indeed, evidence that “normal” is different for everyone 

3 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

This has GOT to be my pet peeve. I am absolutely frustrated when I am approaching well left of where normal people cycle, only to be forced into the road because a runner is on my side of the road and refuses to move to let me past. 

If people insist on running on the wrong side of the road then they should consider the cyclist who they expect to either stop or veer into traffic so that they can be given the courtesy of being a chop, I mean pass.

. . . I dislike running. I will stop now.

I come to a stop in the middle, forcing the runner to move either side. I wont risk myself like that, unless it is extremely quite on the road. Which is why I predominately ride MTB. Roadies is for extra early mornings, and in the deep south. I just cant ride the Atlantic seaboard anymore. 

Edited by Eddy Gordo

this thread is starting to resemble drivers complaining about the amount of cars on the road causing traffic while driving a car on the road.

Other road users are other road users. Just because they aren't the same sub group as you doesn't make them less or more deserving to be there.

The traffic! The traffic! Says everybody alone in their car who IS the traffic.

It does also highlight a distinct irony that as cyclists you ask for better acceptance from cars to make the road safer while in the same breath say how annoying runners are for using the same road as you 

Anyway, as you were

4 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

This has GOT to be my pet peeve. I am absolutely frustrated when I am approaching well left of where normal people cycle, only to be forced into the road because a runner is on my side of the road and refuses to move to let me past. 

If people insist on running on the wrong side of the road then they should consider the cyclist who they expect to either stop or veer into traffic so that they can be given the courtesy of being a chop, I mean pass.

. . . I dislike running. I will stop now.

I had some fun on Sunday morning on Bottelary.

Seemed like a marathon, with groups of 3 to 6 runners, heading towards Brackenfell.

MOST were considerate.  They would leave space so you could still pass them, and remain in the yellow lane.

I most certainly DONT want to drive on the wrong side of that line along Bottelary  (for what that is worth)

TWO groups, the larger groups, nope .... They STAY next to each other, onto the yellow line.

I made eye contact, greeted them, then got out the saddle and went STRAIGHT (right along the very far left) .... It was that or stop until they passed me, for which they would have had to narrow their group in any case.

PITY that common decency is not so common .... (amongst ALL types of road users)

5 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I made eye contact, greeted them, then got out the saddle and went STRAIGHT (right along the very far left) .... It was that or stop until they passed me, for which they would have had to narrow their group in any case.

This is about the only time "hold your line" refrains in my ears. I am absolutely unwilling to venture into the path of passing traffic because a runner, who can see the oncoming traffic - go figure, won't be bothered to show common decency, as you say.

20 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

this thread is starting to resemble drivers complaining about the amount of cars on the road causing traffic while driving a car on the road.

Other road users are other road users. Just because they aren't the same sub group as you doesn't make them less or more deserving to be there.

The traffic! The traffic! Says everybody alone in their car who IS the traffic.

It does also highlight a distinct irony that as cyclists you ask for better acceptance from cars to make the road safer while in the same breath say how annoying runners are for using the same road as you 

Anyway, as you were

agree, agree - to the point that plenty of cyclists are super important people cos check my bike and kit out!

My pet hate also. Jogger running on the "wrong side" of the road. He/she has a direct line of view of vehicles approaching from behind the cyclist, but refusing to give a bit of leeway, forcing me (the cyclist) into the roadway.  And most of the time there is a sidewalk / pavement they can run on safely but insist to run in the roadway. (Sidewalk/pavement, not cycle lane)

We all know that dedicated "pedestrian" and cycle lanes are not an item that anyone uses in this country. You get pedestrians and runners in the road, some even just dart out in traffic and you get cyclists in the road despite the law requiring single file and use of cycle lane if there is one. 

1 hour ago, Wannabe said:

My pet hate also. Jogger running on the "wrong side" of the road. He/she has a direct line of view of vehicles approaching from behind the cyclist, but refusing to give a bit of leeway, forcing me (the cyclist) into the roadway.  And most of the time there is a sidewalk / pavement they can run on safely but insist to run in the roadway. (Sidewalk/pavement, not cycle lane)

This is going to be the next unfortunate incident we will read about on Chappies, if it has not already happened before...runners on the wrong side of the road coming up from Noordhoek to the view point....I have had many a very close call coming down from the viewpoint to NH and staying as left as possible to avoid the very real possibility of this latest incident only to be confronted by a runner or even GROUP of runners on the wrong side of the road...just because its "internationally accepted practice" doesn't make it logical...

On 3/5/2024 at 1:26 PM, V18 said:

Is there any way to expedite the man hunt for this hit and runner? I'm just worried they give the "cctv loop expired/overwritten" sorry by the time te docket ends up on the detectives table. 

Whats the going rate for a Private investigator? We may even have one here on this platform, I would gladly miss a cup of coffee and donate that to the PI fee and I am sure many would not mind too. Cowards like this need to have their day in court.

6 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Am I just doff ... it's 'normal' to run/walk against the traffic, always has been

So what is 'wrong way', running with the traffic?

In this case, cycling down on the lefthand side of the road and runners running up on the righthand side of the road...not walkers/pedestrians on a pavement...there is no pavement or shoulder along this part of Chappies and running on the righthand side of the road is really dangerous....

image.png.b936030e4c4e7ec5ebba449544f47955.png

45 minutes ago, capediver said:

This is going to be the next unfortunate incident we will read about on Chappies, if it has not already happened before...runners on the wrong side of the road coming up from Noordhoek to the view point....I have had many a very close call coming down from the viewpoint to NH and staying as left as possible to avoid the very real possibility of this latest incident only to be confronted by a runner or even GROUP of runners on the wrong side of the road...just because its "internationally accepted practice" doesn't make it logical...

This is why I don’t try to win the race to the coffee stop down chappies anylonger. To many moving obstacles. Everyone has a right to be there so just be sensible and ride only as fast as you can see

10 minutes ago, capediver said:

In this case, cycling down on the lefthand side of the road and runners running up on the righthand side of the road...not walkers/pedestrians on a pavement...there is no pavement or shoulder along this part of Chappies and running on the righthand side of the road is really dangerous....

image.png.b936030e4c4e7ec5ebba449544f47955.png

I recall a no pedestrian sign along a section 👍

8 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

This is why I don’t try to win the race to the coffee stop down chappies anylonger. To many moving obstacles. Everyone has a right to be there so just be sensible and ride only as fast as you can see

You right...partly:

From Chappies Terms of Entry site (https://www.chapmanspeakdrive.co.za/terms.html)

Runners:

Runners will not be permitted between Lookout Point and Noordhoek Corner (km 28,6 and km 33,1) during the following hours:

• Weekdays (off-peak season)
    07:00 – 08:00 & 16:30 – 18:00
    Hours of darkness
  • Weekends, Public Holidays & Peak Holiday Period (15 Dec - 5 Jan)
    10:00 – 19:00
    Hours of darkness

So yes, unfortunately they can be there when its busiest with cyclists...but logic should prevail...

Edited by capediver