Training after Coronavirus

27 minutes ago, MORNE said:

We only got our messages last week. Since you’re not supposed to exercise for two weeks after the jab apparently, we are postponing it until after ctct. 

According to an article that was on News24 (https://www.news24.com/health24/medical/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/exercising-after-your-covid-19-or-flu-shot-may-boost-antibodies-study-says-20220301-2) recently, moderate exercise after the vaccination could boost antibodies. But yes, rather wait at this point, just in case you are unlucky and have bad side effects 😅

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/9/2022 at 9:12 AM, PhilipV said:

Well with being in bed and researching return to sport protocols after a gnarly couple of days wrestling with rona, I regret not getting my booster shot. 

Doc reckons I got one of the Deltas floating around, so much for my "meh, omnicrom is light music" attitude I had. 

I would gladly eat the humble pie, but the screws and crushed gravel in my throat makes it a bit hard to swallow right now. 

I'm just glad I got it after the one event I aimed for last year. Will find something to aim for and work up to it. Probably late in the year to give myself enough time to build up slowly. 

@PhilipVGet better soon, man. This gogga is still surprisingly prevalent. 

On 3/8/2022 at 9:55 AM, FondTF2 said:

Slightly off topic. 

Had my booster shot last week Friday and have never felt so crap in my life before. Even having Covid last year felt better (LOL).

Whole body ached, fever, Head Ache (Thankfully these have subsided), severe stomach cramps which are still persisting. 

Needless to say, have not been on the bike since last week Thursday.

Apologies if I missed the answer scrolling through the replies, but was your booster Pfizer or J&J (and what were your first two)?

1 hour ago, LazyTrailRider said:

Apologies if I missed the answer scrolling through the replies, but was your booster Pfizer or J&J (and what were your first two)?

All 3 were Pfizer.

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2022 at 9:21 AM, J Wakefield said:

Protocol returning after Covid is the following:

5 days of no riding

Day 5 - 8 light riding 1.5-2hrs zone 1 low 2

Day 8 build up to typical volume but no intensity. You have to build volume before intensity

However if symptoms remain or return you need to back off from exercise and training.

Is it after the 1st "symptoms" showed or after symptoms are gone ? Probably a stupid question ;)

Edited by Jbr

10 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Is it after the 1st "symptoms" showed or after symptoms are gone ? Probably a stupid question ;)

after symptoms are gone'

Just now, DieselnDust said:

after symptoms are gone'

yeah I realised as I edited, thanks for the confirmation

On 3/9/2022 at 9:21 AM, J Wakefield said:

Protocol returning after Covid is the following:

5 days of no riding

Day 5 - 8 light riding 1.5-2hrs zone 1 low 2

Day 8 build up to typical volume but no intensity. You have to build volume before intensity

However if symptoms remain or return you need to back off from exercise and training.

duration upon return would be dependant on the severity of the infection I guess. Ninety to one hundred and twenty minutes would have someone recovering from severe infection sleeping for a week after :)

12 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

Negative test actually 

ok thanks so that's more like 5 to 10 days after symptoms have abated which is in line with the medical advice I got from my GP. There was no talk of a negative test yet back at the begining of 2021.

Looks like I can make some room in my trainingpeaks then... Guess I was asymptomatic until yesterdays crit, I can still feel the consequences of doing 1 solo lap at max HR+10bpm... This morning after a *** night my resting HR also went +10bpm from the rest of the week so I went for a rapid test. Guess I'll go back every day till it's negative then 😅

Edited by Jbr

• 4 weeks later...

I am just curious to know maybe some Hubbers experienced the symptoms before going down with Covid. I was on a Traineroad program which I followed 90% to the T , as to be expected the program tapered towards my "race/adventure" date. The week before my adventure I battled to complete the intervals and bailed on more than one occasion due to "fatigue/weak/tiredness"  my heart rate did not show any abnormalities i.e. spiking or elevated more than normal. Then my first day of my adventure my HR was very high and it caused me to bail halfway on the course ( What I did "wrong"(out of the norm) the first day I had a huge supper the night before (Carbo Loading) and a big breakfast , dressed with a base layer and cycling top which made me very HOT, got rid of the top somewhere in the race. The next day was also a tough day but I indulged MUCH less and finished the race, HR not out of the ordinary . Then for the last day I repeated my previous regime and finished my adventure , HR actually on the low side 130....... that was on the Sunday. We left for home all fine and Tuesday I woke up with a funny feeling and the doc confirmed my fears that I am Covid positive. My question though could the Covid bug lingered  for so long in my body and only downed me after my immune system took a knock during my adventure?  

Just to add, there’s this nasty flu going around which has many floored-keep safe out there. 

am with @J Wakefield, after negative test depending on how you feel. 

A bit pointless trying to ride if you can’t breathe 🤷‍♂️

51 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Just to add, there’s this nasty flu going around which has many floored-keep safe out there. 

am with @J Wakefield, after negative test depending on how you feel. 

A bit pointless trying to ride if you can’t breathe 🤷‍♂️

Went to collect some meds at Dischem this morning, seriously long queue... the pharmacist said despite what I thought it was more flu cases than Covid ... now whether all those 'flu' cases had been tested she didn't know ...

2 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Went to collect some meds at Dischem this morning, seriously long queue... the pharmacist said despite what I thought it was more flu cases than Covid ... now whether all those 'flu' cases had been tested she didn't know ...

With 1 in 4 tests coming back positive in Joburg it is most likely many in that line were positive ....

What I have seen amongst friends .... second time round with covid people know what meds works for them .... they get their meds and wait it out without getting tested, especially if one in the family have already tested positive.

The scary bit now is people deliberately saying "flu", when they know there is covid in the house .... then continue to take the kids to school, even going to the office ... as their sick leave and medical aid is depleted ....

Stay safe out their Hubbers 👍

I didn't have any flu symptoms (no cough, runy nose, sore throat) so I didn't take any other meds than those to manage the headaches. 5 days after the fatigue was gone I went to see the doctor, he reassured me about the myocarditis risks (updated studies show the risk is MUCH LESS than what the initial studies did, almost non existant actually), listened to my heart, still did a ECG because it's cheap and quick, and off I went. He basically just advised to reintroduce intensity, monitor my HR during, after, resting HR, and if I felt tired the next day take a step back and try again a few days later. If I felt any chest pain to call him, otherwise just to get back to normal. Which I did.

I must say the 2 weeks off + 1 week of slowly going back into things did really affect the way I perform in my workouts (intervals), but I did race last weekend (just 1hr) and felt pretty nice. I think it's just a matter of getting back into the routine of doing these workouts.