Training after Coronavirus

1 hour ago, JohanDiv said:

Nope I have not done an full-out hour session yet...before Covid I could hold 185bpm for an hour, and 183bpm for two hours. I'll report back once I've done an all-out effort again(Hopefully at the next Trailseeker at the end of the month) 

The test I'm referring to is not an all-out hour effort (FTP), but rather an easy ride below FTP (a long Z2 workout, - 5 zone model).
It's your body's ability to deliver and use oxygen to produce energy in the muscles.
Once your HR plateaus for several sessions, then it's time to change from HR to Power for gauging the workout intensity.

• EF = NP / ave. HR

An increasing EF over time indicates an improving aerobic threshold. 
Just like the FTP, this FAeT test is also a good one to do often, using the same conditions.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Frosty said:

The test I'm referring to is not an all-out hour effort (FTP), but rather an easy ride below FTP (a long Z2 workout, - 5 zone model).
It's your body's ability to deliver and use oxygen to produce energy in the muscles.
Once your HR plateaus for several sessions, then it's time to change from HR to Power for gauging the workout intensity.

• EF = NP / ave. HR

An increasing EF over time indicates an improving aerobic threshold. 
Just like the FTP, this FAeT test is also a good one to do often, using the same conditions.

Ahhh, interesting! No, I haven't done that before.. will look into it!

On 1/6/2022 at 7:34 PM, daveno7 said:

instances of long covid will be seen in health care systems for years to come...

experienced trainers/coaches will be learning about this and the body responses for a while yet....its going to make for interesting case studies..and for the everyday recreational rider....stay safe all....

1 hour ago, daveno7 said:

experienced trainers/coaches will be learning about this and the body responses for a while yet....its going to make for interesting case studies..and for the everyday recreational rider....stay safe all....

According to Dr Ross Tucker, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of studies that have already been done on athletes who have had covid, and the affects on training. Not saying it's a foregone conclusion, but as fast as the mRNA vaccine was developed, so too have the studies on exercising with/post covid. But, as always, it's a smaller sample of people that is expected to be applied to everyone.

4 hours ago, Frosty said:

According to Dr Ross Tucker, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of studies that have already been done on athletes who have had covid, and the affects on training. Not saying it's a foregone conclusion, but as fast as the mRNA vaccine was developed, so too have the studies on exercising with/post covid. But, as always, it's a smaller sample of people that is expected to be applied to everyone.

Tucker is worthwhile listening to....sensible and informative..

On 1/11/2022 at 11:07 PM, daveno7 said:

Tucker is worthwhile listening to....sensible and informative..

Any idea as to where to read what he is saying?

2 hours ago, reteid said:

Any idea as to where to read what he is saying?

There aren't any transcripts on the podcast website, so I assume one has to "listen" to him.
I often play the podcast a few times to get a good understanding of the subject.

On 1/19/2022 at 2:21 PM, Frosty said:

There aren't any transcripts on the podcast website, so I assume one has to "listen" to him.
I often play the podcast a few times to get a good understanding of the subject.

thanks for the feedback

I like the Common Morning Warning Indicators (Table 11.1 in Joe Friel's Training Bible). I won't post the table here, as I can't find it on the interwebs and don't have permission from him

The image below is not from his book, but from the interwebs, and is missing two indicators:

• HRV score (low)
  • TSB (below -30)

Table.jpg?format=750w

If you score 7 or more, then it's a good indicator that you should rest rather than ride.

Score:

• 1 point for each YES in lines 1-5, as well as TSB (TrainingPeaks.com) below -30
  • 2 points for lines 6-10, as well as a low HRV score

Here are comments from athletes that have contacted Joe Friel relating to Covid and Return-to-Training Comments
https://joefrieltraining.com/covid-and-return-to-training-comments/

From my own perspective (for what it's worth), I got covid symptoms on christmas eve and today is the first day I've felt complete normal while doing strenuous exercise. I didn't get especially sick: fever for a day and then a runny nose for 4 days. I had a few false starts trying to get back into it too early and seeing my HR shoot up after 10 mins of riding. But today I did a completely "normal" ride. All the numbers were as they would have been before covid, although a tiny bit (5%) slower, down to me not really having ridden for the last month. So I count myself lucky to have only caught this post-vax and getting a seemingly milder flavor of covid.

The best part is that the time off the bike has given me a serious "gees" to ride again.

p6pb14559034.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks for everyones replies and tips on this tread. I recovered a week ago and thought I would give the bike a go. Was an interesting experience. 
HR was high 191 where it was 144 on the last time I rode which was on 28 Jan. Or can I just get that unfit in a month?

I was out of breath and pushed my bike quite often. Was only a 6km ride but it is STEEP up and down. 

I also rode at 13:00 with the temp at 31 and a HIGH humidity so not sure if that had anything to do with it?

On 1/2/2022 at 5:00 PM, throttles said:

Hi all, I tested positive this morning.

Post nasal drip and groggy voice are the only 2 symptoms.

do I rest completely for the week or could I do cardio and or Zone1/Zone2 on the idt?

according to Apple no increase in HR and HRV is still improving.

Warm up 20m

4m @ 100-105%, 2m @ 70%
3m @ 106-120%, 2m @ 70%
2m @ 121-150%, 2m @ 70%
1m @ MAX EFFORT, 2m @ 70%
2m @ 121-150%, 2m @ 70%
3m @ 106-120%, 2m @ 70%
4m @ 100-105%, 2m @ 70%

Recover 10 minutes, and then Repeat once more!

2 hours ago, Pieter1 said:

Or can I just get that unfit in a month?

Yes, yes you can.

Slightly off topic. 

Had my booster shot last week Friday and have never felt so crap in my life before. Even having Covid last year felt better (LOL).

Whole body ached, fever, Head Ache (Thankfully these have subsided), severe stomach cramps which are still persisting. 

Needless to say, have not been on the bike since last week Thursday.