The great HRV thread

The Ouzo

So am I in trouble, or am I doing well? 

Taken from new Forerunner 955. 33ms seems low from the reading I've done. 

2.PNG

Capture.PNG

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

2.PNG

Capture.PNG

my understanding, dont compare your value to others. As long as it is consistent you are ok. And when it does climb or fall you need to be able to identify why (i.e. sleep, meds, alcohol, stress etc.)

I can clearly see my sleep patterns with my tracking, consistently higher when I sleep well and consistently lower when I dont. If I correlate it to RHR I can also see where stress has been a factor.

Tracking HRV is about the trends rather than the value of the actual number.

Does anybody know whether the Forerunner 645 will be getting wrist HRV? That's the one feature that's making me keen to upgrade, but I heard hints they'll be pushing it to older models. 

1 hour ago, mecheng89 said:

2.PNG

Capture.PNG

At just over 6 hrs per week for the past 4 weeks I think it spot on.  You're under trained...

Between Feel and RPE (on the days I did ride) as well as looking at the upward trend on both Resting HR and a declining HRV, I was able to make a call to rest rather than train. So the green is when I decided to take days off the bike, and it helped me stay on track more than if I had continued to push through. Two rounds of sinus headache with some dehli belly appeared a day or after I decided to stop training.

The last indicated bump was international travel, so I'm sure that it was just the stress and strain on the body... no sleep and long days working. The final one I can feel currently is pure work stress, which is why I've skipped a couple days of hard workouts.

image.png.249e204933aae2026868912ebc09f1f0.png

On 7/27/2022 at 5:10 PM, Underachiever said:

At just over 6 hrs per week for the past 4 weeks I think it spot on.  You're under trained...

Quality over quantity? 🤪

Got night time HRV on the Fenix 6 now via the Beta software from the F7 trickle down. Interested to see how it plays out over the next couple of weeks. 

i just manually loaded the new software to get HRV onto my Epix Gen 2

looking forward to seeing the data

1 minute ago, Furbz said:

Yup, alpha version via manual upload, beta via app since weekend. 

Did not have a good night sleep in the first part of the evening last night, but slept from early hours this morning. So much so that I slept through my 5am alarm to get up and go for a ride.

HRV this morning is WAY down, RHR is still in line. 

Not sure if this is a place to post but my using HRV and the training today app on my Apple Watch my watch knew I was getting covid long before I had any symptoms…. 

so I flew into Jhb on the 29th and did 2 really hard rides (up and down) poffadder a few times at vangaalens. According to the app already on Saturday we t was telling to me take it easy but I just though it’s the altitude thing as it takes a day or two for my heart rate to settle. Sunday night my watch was telling me to rest. And Monday o was feeling crap. No amount of sleep would get my HRV off the “rest” line. Today I tested positive. 
I can also see how my RHR went from usually about 49 to 90 for the last 3 days and is slowly starting to drop. 

If you are using a HRV app and measuring device. If it says rest…. Rest…  a lot of smarter everyone have been looking into this. I just hope I did not do any permanent damage to my heart. 

I also get a very nice view of my HRV trend on my wrist for those of you that are using a Apple Watch 

8AC0032E-10D9-4E96-8A67-A5418D614B9B.png

33C7AEA2-2A73-4238-9E8E-B51B453DF49B.png

On 8/2/2022 at 3:06 PM, Furbz said:

Oof. First results are fairly rubbish considering I skipped riding this weekend. 
37 I feel is a little low

apparently whoops average for my age is 60! 

so I have some work to do

1 hour ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

No amount of sleep would get my HRV off the “rest” line. Today I tested positive. 

I can also see how my RHR went from usually about 49 to 90 for the last 3 days and is slowly starting to drop. 

If you are using a HRV app and measuring device. If it says rest…. Rest.

All the best with the positive. 

illness aside, don’t just look at your HRV score in isolation. You need to look at a few other things too, eg. RPE and Feel (subjective) as well as Power (if you have a PM) and your HR data. If they are all off (trending negative) the norm/baseline value, then you can rest.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent last week off the bike. From saturday I was congested, it never went below the neck but I could feel my body fighting it. HRV stats confirmed this. By wednesday I was feeling better and HRV stats were normalizing, but I stayed off the bike anyway as I was feeling a little more tired than normal.

Saturday morning I did my usual 27km loop at an easy pace. I did not feel 100% but put it down to coming off of the weeks illness. But saturday afternoon I was exhausted and had a power nap on the couch.

I was determined to ride yesterday, Epic ride weather was telling me that there would be a headwind out and a tailwind back. But I got out of bed feeling fatigued again, decided that I was in no condition to fight the wind.

HRV stats once again show the body has been fighting something the last few days. So clearly the illness is still lingering in my body.