Intrinsic value

philippe484

I've worked in the high end cycling industry as a technician for more than 25years so the opinion I'm about to enumerate is deeply held and backed up with lots of personal history and pain.

It's understood that opinions will differ but if you have one on bicycle frame material, I'd expect that you've done your homework.. I have and I'm very definitely a steel man.

It needs to be recognised that there are a very wide range of steel qualities used in frame construction, starting with high tensile tubing and going all the way to titanium.

Not many shops offer their clients anything like decent steel framed bicycles and very few make after market frames available .. there are good reasons for that but I'm one of those guys who just hates new ****. My bikes last, steel bikes last !

There isn't a single bike I've ridden (and I've worked in Dubai, on the most expensive bicycles in the world) that I would take over my old single speeded chromoly Kona .. which is why bike builders use STEEL.

Maybe some of the people reading this recognise the bike, I've had it up for sale on this site before but no one was prepared to pay my price so I kept the bike .. happily, because I believe in intrinsic value and this bike like my Bridgestone has intrinsic value. It will also outlast pretty much any overpriced latest, greatest bike out there.

Are your other 28 posts also this weird?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive had the same with  two Cotics ive had on the Hub for more than two years. 

In the one case every now and then i get a message saying im asking way to much and i just refer them to  Cotics site to go buy a new one ( whitch cost a lot more)

In the other case i have declined to sell my BFe on several occasion since the buyers obviously did not understand why the bike is special.

Ive now decided to strip my solaris max and build up the flare max thats "to expensive" and ride that again  but wondering whehter its worth punting the Solaris max up for sale

Don't sell the Solaris max!  What am I going to ride when my fancy pants carbon frame is broken again?  I am so tempted to put in a preorder on the new Solaris Max.

For those that will be needing to google it like I needed to.

Intrinsic value
Ethics

Description
DescriptionIn ethics, intrinsic value is a property of anything that is valuable on its own. Intrinsic value is in contrast to instrumental value, which is a property of anything that derives its value from a relation to another intrinsically valuable thing.

For those that will be needing to google it like I needed to.

Intrinsic value
Ethics

Description
Description In ethics, intrinsic value is a property of anything that is valuable on its own. Intrinsic value is in contrast to instrumental value, which is a property of anything that derives its value from a relation to another intrinsically valuable thing.

I prefer this definition:

In numismaticsintrinsic value, also known as melt value, is the value of the metal, 

I think it renders the OP's bikes almost worthless.

The value is not always in the item. It's often in our minds.

https://toughnickel.com/frugal-living/How-to-Know-the-Real-Value-of-Things

What Something Is Really Worth

Since people have different views about the real value of things, it’s not easy to determine true worth.

However, by using the above information, closely examining products, reading reviews and talking to people who have purchased various items, you can get a pretty good idea about their dollar values.

In the end, it is you who determines what something is worth.

My mother wore a $10 wedding ring for all 56 years of her marriage. Nothing was worth more than that ring to her. I once offered to give her an engagement ring I no longer had use for, but she turned me down. The only ring that had value for her was the one that represented the love she shared with my father.

That's a story worth remembering when you are trying to find out how much something is worth. The value is not always in the item. It's often in our minds

Because it is a Kona ,i have to agree and i also like steel frames .There you have it! .I have two kona,s and a steel hard tail .They are not the same bike ,but when i dream about bikes ,those are the ones i dream about 

You obviously dont value your plastic bike either since you forgot it outside in the weather one night. Never mind the frame, your groupset and bearings are now all rusted and cracked at the joints. You are going to hell for that regardless.

/comic sans/

To be fair, good modern steel frames are all protected against corrosion...even internally.

Silly thread. Like what you like. I like my bicycles like I like my music - metal as f4ck. That doesn't mean i don't like carbon bikes though, i can appreciate some justin bieber every now and then too [emoji3526][emoji28]

It was all going OK till you mentioned bieber #SMK