Titan Cypher RS Ultimate - A bike I want to try!

AllAboutRides

popped my head past Melo and i must say, while the colours on the empire are not to my liking they are not ugly by any stretch of the imagination.

really in the flesh looks good. not outstanding, but not ugly or offish.

it would not frighten me off buying one

Living in the platteland, purchase from pictures and hope for the best.

Travelling down to Cape Town this weekend, bikeshop high on my priority list.

Hopefully can see the empire in the flesh.

Edited by DJuice

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11.78kgs Titan Empire (R90k)

11.14kgs Spez Epic Evo Expert (R117k)

12.24kgs Spec Epic evo Comp (R83k)

9.95kgs specialized epic evo s-works (R200k)

the difference here is the frame on the Titan is heavy.

The lower spec spez bikes can get lighter by changing wheels and bars to carbon.

the Evo Comp with carbon wheels and bars can get under 11kgs.

lets also not forget that the Titan has the XO1 AXS shifting which is super nice and does not skimp on the forks as they are top of the line.

a very tough call to make here. 

i think if you can get over the weight the Titan is awesome value.

Edited by Furbz

I am actually surprised that you can't get a "specialized" XC bike anymore, only a S-Works ? I wanted to say this morning that it was weird comparing the Titan that only has one frame to the other brands that usually have a normal carbon frame and a superlight version, but it looks like at least at specialized you don't have a choice anymore ?

I'm assuming that making a frame that can allow a sub 10kg dual sus build requires a lot of R&D and knowledge and not anyone can do it (at east not safely)

11.78kgs Titan Empire (R95k)

11.14kgs Spez Epic Evo Expert (R117k)

12.24kgs Spec Epic evo Comp (R83k)

9.95kgs specialized epic evo s-works (R200k)

the difference here is the frame on the Titan is heavy.

The lower spec spez bikes can get lighter by changing wheels and bars to carbon.

the Evo Comp with carbon wheels and bars can get under 11kgs.

lets also not forget that the Titan has the XO1 AXS shifting which is super nice and does not skimp on the forks as they are top of the line.

a very tough call to make here. 

i think if you can get over the weight the Titan is awesome value.

This is a tough one. Bike Addict has the Empire for R90k which means it's closest competitor price wise is the Epic Comp and that's an easy decision.

If another R20k+ makes no difference to the buyer that Evo Expert looks damn fine and has nothing that will need upgrading that I can see.

i'm trying to find one to demo in JHB

i want to see exactly how it rides and hopefully debunk my initial judgments.

those being its still an emerging brand for high end-bikes and Titans R/D vs bigger bike brands 

i'm trying to find one to demo in JHB

i want to see exactly how it rides and hopefully debunk my initial judgments.

those being its still an emerging brand for high end-bikes and Titans R/D vs bigger bike brands 

It rides very well for me but off course it's best to test for yourself. I came from a standard Epic so not having the Brain was already a substantial improvement and it's just very planted when the terrain gets rough.

I bought it based on the if it it looks like a duck theory. I just can't see any massive difference in the suspension design between the Cypher and Epic Evo and the Cypher design is a year older so it's not an imitation either.

In December 2019 I bought my Titan cypher rs expert carbon I couldn't find any bike at that price point that gave me the same value and it came with a 5 year warranty on the frame that was transferable to the new owner if I sold it at a later stage and none of the other bike manufacturers offered that. I can't justify paying more than 50k for a "BICYCLE"

I've done multiple races and rides with my bike and I've had zero issues, I've raced with and ridden with guys that have the fancy Sworks, Look ,Santa cruz's etc. and they haven't had an superior advantage over me the biggest difference on any bike is the abilities and fitness of the person that rides it.

Personally i think we as cyclists get shafted with anything bike related ...parts from entry level to the best of the best are horrendously expensive and often don't justify the cost when compared to say a motorbike or a motorcar and those cost way more in terms of RD to develop and manufacture. 

I'm not trying piss anyone off just giving my two cents worth.     

Uhm ja .....

It seems Specialized stores SHOULD be showing the emblem of their 49% shareholder and manufacturer .... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merida_Bikes

Same as various other "top brands" should be showing the GIANT emblem as their manufacturer ....

While various companies were "building a brand" via sponsorship and sporting events, Merida and Giant got on with the business of making bikes ....

A little extract from - https://aushiker.com/blog/2013/03/19/where-was-my-bicycle-made/

Giant: ­ You may have ridden a bicycle made by Giant without knowing it! Giant is the world’s largest bicycle manufacturer with factories in Taiwan, China, and Europe. Giant, a Taiwanese company started in 1972, manufacturers their own bikes­ including the carbon bikes, which is unique in the industry (i.e., most other brands use other manufacturers such as Advanced International Multitech or Martec).

In addition to making their own bikes, Giant also makes, or has made, bikes for many other prominent brands, including Trek, Specialized [now part of Merida], Schwinn, and Bianchi. Giant’s claim to fame is that they have the most advanced and efficient manufacturing facilities in the bicycle industry.

To understand why people would pay more for the dentist bikes we need to disengage our logical brain and engage our emotional brain. Less engineer, more marketing. Less value, more yuppie.

Merida/Specialized

VW Polo/ Lamborghini Aventador?

:eek:

More like:

Merida/ Specialized

VW Golf / Audi A3

Polo / A1

Comparing a polo to an Aventador is akin to comparing a budget hardtail to an Sworks Epic.