mecheng89

Good morning Hubbers!

So, when are bicycle lights too bright? When your mates complain? When the car flips you off? 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not about being too bright it is about adjustment.

You are travelling at a rate of speed lower than a car you do not need to blast HID level light 400m ahead on the road.  Have your secondary flashing led aimed higher for visibility and adjust your beam light down to actually illuminate the road is my 2c.

Well this morning I though it was a car coming towards me with bright lights on the opposite side of the road, it was  2 bicycles.

Depends on the purpose...

For road use a nice narrow 400 lumen beam is more than enough (possibly even that is excessive). For high speed single track in the middle of the night, as wide and as bright as possible (5000 lumens works perfectly if you have the option!)

I think I might have p'd off a few motorists when I first got my lights.

Had the light level on the front. 1000 lumen lighting up infront of me, but could not understand why I could not see the road properly, then pointed it downward one day and I saw the light.

To the OP
Be specific: Your mates, who are behind you, feel the rear light shines in their eyes and is a safety concern. It's not your front light that concerns them.

Don't be a tjop - listen to your so-called mates, and adjust your light so it's not a risk them.

Edited by Frosty

Depends on the purpose...

For road use a nice narrow 400 lumen beam is more than enough (possibly even that is excessive). For high speed single track in the middle of the night, as wide and as bright as possible (5000 lumens works perfectly if you have the option!)

on a quiet road 400 might be sufficient, but when there are other lights around coming and going it messes with your eyes a little bit and going from rather bright down 400 lumen feels a little to dark, especially at speeds over 25-30kph. 

I found a number of times I would see a pedestrian on the road, a car would drive past in the opposite direction and I would lose sight of the pedestrian, it would then take a good while for my eyes to adjust before I could see that pedestrian again.

Potholes are even worse.

on a quiet road 400 might be sufficient, but when there are other lights around coming and going it messes with your eyes a little bit and going from rather bright down 400 lumen feels a little to dark, especially at speeds over 25-30kph. 

I found a number of times I would see a pedestrian on the road, a car would drive past in the opposite direction and I would lose sight of the pedestrian, it would then take a good while for my eyes to adjust before I could see that pedestrian again.

Potholes are even worse.

All true... I would only ride on roads I know well in the dark and stick to safer areas (both in terms of security and space/visibility). I guess that cuts out some of the risks you mention and reduced my need for bright lights (I stopped road riding long ago). The south of CPT has very few potholes, the roads are generally fairly quiet early in the morning, and mostly have wide, clear shoulders to ride away from cars and pedestrians.

Once again, it comes down to the intended purpose. 

Most important is to angle your light correctly when on the road. And don't use helmet mounted lights on the road - when you look at the oncoming cyclist/driver you will be blinding them.

Its not about being too bright it is about adjustment.

You are travelling at a rate of speed lower than a car you do not need to blast HID level light 400m ahead on the road.  Have your secondary flashing led aimed higher for visibility and adjust your beam light down to actually illuminate the road is my 2c.

So on the rare occasions I find myself on the bike before the sun is up, I don't use a front light for illumination, but for visibility. I only ride roads I know with sufficient street lights to illuminate my travel.

I want it as bright as possible and shining directly at car driver eye-level. Pretty much the same for the rear light.

I'm using something called a Blindeye, with what they call 1 watt led's and visible up to 1.5km away. I guess they're pretty bright, I've had other riders comment on how bright they are.

Edited by TNT1

This! We have a great purpose-built cycle track here in Qatar, well lit with street lights every 50m or so and its for bikes only, two wide lanes, one out and one back, no real need for front light at all but there are still guys who insist on running in excess of 1000 lumens of rapid strobing!!! Drives me nuts :angry: I purposefully shade my eyes as they pass, hoping they get the message! :lol: