The cost of keeping a bike on the road

FirstV8

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These exercises are fascinating to me and I’ve kept a spreadsheet over the last 18 months.

I have three bikes in the garage (2019 Stumpjumper, 2020 Diverge, 2017 Levo). Both the Diverge and Stumpy were bought during this period, with only the net cost of the Stumpy after selling the Enduro it replaced factored in. On the Stumpy and Levo I keep everything absolutely mint. I have fork lowers done every 25 hours without fail, cables whenever I feel just a little bit of friction, full suspension rebuild every 12 months.

In addition to this, there’s a long list of components I’ve upgraded as I found deals too good to pass up on, kit I’ve kept fresh (I’m a sucker for nice stuff), a new set of 2FO ClipLites, a road helmet, some low-light Oakleys and proper lights for pre-dawn riding, new carbon wheels for the Diverge, different bar and stem, etc.

All in all, my bike riding has averaged out to R7400/month over the last 18 months. When I first looked at the figure I thought “*%#* me”, but riding bikes has been what I do for 30 years so it’s just how my life is configured. Bikes and bike stuff is worth every cent to me!

I did not even read past the names of the SPEZ bikes  :whistling:

I did not even read past the names of the SPEZ bikes  :whistling:

Ha. You know what else is Spez? My helmet, bibs, jerseys, gloves, socks, shoes, jackets.

Gotta match, because.

I did not even read past the names of the SPEZ bikes :whistling:

If it fits your preconceived idea, then you will learn no more by switching off after SPEZ.

Zwift and cheap parts on the IDT bike have really dropped our month to month maintenance costs with higher km output and the 2 mtb's are in far better shape.

Zwift and cheap parts on the IDT bike have really dropped our month to month maintenance costs with higher km output and the 2 mtb's are in far better shape.

But now you spend more time on an idt and less time outside on your mtb.... your mental state must be in much worse shape  :ph34r:

But now you spend more time on an idt and less time outside on your mtb.... your mental state must be in much worse shape  :ph34r:

SO TRUE !!!

Last weekend we had a first timer joining us on the MTB trails.  Riding along a contour line I rode next to him and chatted a bit.  First thing he said: "This is SO much better than being on a trainer".

The way work and the weather is going I may be on the trainer sooner rather than later.  But I will be back outside as soon as possible.  :thumbup:

Keeping a road /Mtb  roadworthy for everyday use . This question is for the non technical , non handyman or lazy  bike owner who has one bike or more that gets used daily or very often . The cost of using your LBS for servicing , fitting , fixing or even cleaning must be quite costly . It would be interesting to hear from cyclists as to what needs to be budgeted for . I know some months must be more costly if tyres , chains , cassettes , or even chain rings are replaced . .  

Gravel bike - R700 over the last year 

Honestly if you just clean your drivetrain after every ride, it will prolong your wear and tear considerably. And degreasing and lube is something anyone should manage. For a road bike it don’t even need to be every ride unless it’s winter and you ride out in the rain. 

One thing that annoys me considerably if I take my bike for a service is a bike shop telling me I need to replace my cassette and rings when I swap a chain. A cassette should outlast a chain considerably if you maintain it properly and you replace your chain regularly. This idea that you have to change everything in one go is complete nonsense.