The cost of keeping a bike on the road

FirstV8

It looks like some people think it's a measuring contest.

BTW, I got a bunch of golf bats plus a baggie for them for like R199 at Cash Converters.

I've got a bunch of bats sitting in my garage, they are covered with a black bag, I have not opened to look inside in many moons, they may not resemble bats anymore.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I save a lot of money by riding Only 10 Speed.

Lasts Much Longer and Costs Much Less to Maintain.

I have a cassette with 16000 Km that Still Looks and Works 100% on my "Spare Bike".

1X Chain Rings (Various Brands Purchased) however only Last about 5000 Km because they Wear in Sync with the Chain Wear.(about 12c per Km).

Many years ago I had my Bikes Serviced by LBS Yearly but every Service they Wanted to Change a Lot of stuff that was Still OK. Now I do Most of the Maintenance Myself. If I need work done on a Wheel I take just the Wheel in to LBS.

I've got a bunch of bats sitting in my garage, they are covered with a black bag, I have not opened to look inside in many moons, they may not resemble bats anymore.

Good thing we're not comparing the cost and size of bats? :ph34r:

All other things being equal, a MTB is more expensive to maintain than a road bike; a dual suspension more expensive that a HT and a complex drive train more expensive that a simple one.

Unless it is therefore necessary to ride my XX equipped dual-suspension bike I ride a HT and then only if I can't ride on a Single Speed HT.

I keep my drivetrains clean and well lubed and believe in prevention rather than cure. A new SS chain cost me R180 last week,

Like eddy mentioned. With the current prices of mtb components and their wear rate I am spending 80% of my training on my road bike. Least wear on drivetrain is using my road bike on the trainer...Sad, but true.

all i know is i dont want my wife here to see what you guys say it costs for me to cycle every month

i would far rather have her believe what i tell her it costs

all i know is i dont want my wife here to see what you guys say it costs for me to cycle every month

i would far rather have her believe what i tell her it costs

The more things change, the more they stay the SAME !!

Some 20 years ago a friend cycled to work.  Told his wife he was doing this to save money .... admitted to us that if she had any idea of the real costs of his cycling she would have him drive to work.   :ph34r:   :whistling:

Keeping a road /Mtb  roadworthy for everyday use . This question is for the non technical , non handyman or lazy  bike owner who has one bike or more that gets used daily or very often . The cost of using your LBS for servicing , fitting , fixing or even cleaning must be quite costly . It would be interesting to hear from cyclists as to what needs to be budgeted for . I know some months must be more costly if tyres , chains , cassettes , or even chain rings are replaced . .  

My road bike that is also on my IDT had a full service .The first in six years .Bearings replaced everywhere,cables replaced ,cleaned and greased .No drive train or tires replaced and the cost was R1600 .My 11 speed mountain bike is relatively cheap ,but the twelve speed cassette and chain haunts me .I service bikes only when the noises become to much to bear and that happens every couple of years 

Edited by eala

...2x6 speed 80s road bike. A new in box 14-28 shimano 6 speed cluster costs R130. A new 7 speed kmc chain with a quick link - R150. oldschool ball/cone bearings will outlast the cockroaches after the apocalypse.

I have just as much fun on this thing as any modern bike.

And i agree with SS mtb’ng, cheapest carefree dirty fun to be had. Mine is even rigid. At this stage the only maintenance cost on that is the water i wash it with and lube.

Pft..12k to keep a bicycle going a year? Fml, ill never.

I have just seen it...Anyone want to start a company thst sells bicycle maintenance plans to owners of R100k+ bikes? Lol. It’s coming, watch. Pets have medical aid now....

Crap just isnt built to last these days. You can make it as expensive or cheap as you like.

Edited by MORNE

I'm not going to trawl through this entire thread, but riding 2x10 on my mtb and 2x 9 on my roadbike keeps drivetrain things affordable. i don't think there' much of a performance upgrade to be lost here.

i just went 1x11 on a gravel bike with a goatlink magafter, so will report back in 6 months!

Is that the stick thing that you hit with?

And a compromised handicap...

The one batting cage, I mean driving range, has a great kids play area. I take the kid, she plays, I whack a few balls.

You guys are spending a fair bit monthly, or maybe I'm just not maintaining my bike like I should.

I also only do around 500km per month though.

Twice a month its a wash and lube and check chain wear. Tyres maybe every 18months. Sealent topup every 6 months.

Road bikes don't need much.

MTBs are a bit more pricey if ridden a lot.

My main costs on the MTB are suspension services and new drivetrain components. Oh and the occasional pivot bearings.

I budget €100 per month for my bikes.If I don’t use it then it just rolls over until I have some savings.

I also do all my own repairs and servicing except forks and shocks.

In summer I spend very little as it’s dry and bikes get a good service and clean in spring.