The cost of keeping a bike on the road

FirstV8

Riding style also comes into play, I've seen even experienced riders who are incredibly hard on their bikes. With little to no finesse.

The most common observation is accelerated gear wear by riding cross geared, too hard a gear and/or not replacing the chain enough.

Braking hard

Not keeping the bike generally clean, in particular the drivetrain. On MTBs, not keeping pivots/suspension seals clean.

Add to that the muppets that ride through all sorts of *** on the side of the road in the gutter (road riders here). Must go through tyres at an alarming rate.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently went to a LBS to buy some new tyres, and told the owner I had recently started cycling again after not riding for 20+ years, and griped about how expensive bikes were, he laughed and replied, "buying a bike is the cheap part, it is servicing and maintaining the bike that is the expensive part"... 

As someone who is not very "technically minded" (I would love to be), I recently did a bike maintenance 101 course, which has helped hugely, but most of the basic things spoken about in the thread I'm too scared to attempt on my own (change bearings, fit new cables, etc...). 

So for someone like me with very basic technical skills, I either need to learn more (not many bike "201", "301" courses around), or trust my LBS....

Fortunately after experiencing a few bull**** stories from bike stores about things that MUST be replaced on my bike, I have found a bikeshop that I can trust, and that gives me peace of mind... 

I hope in time that I am able to learn more, and do more on my own bike ;) 

I recently went to a LBS to buy some new tyres, and told the owner I had recently started cycling again after not riding for 20+ years, and griped about how expensive bikes were, he laughed and replied, "buying a bike is the cheap part, it is servicing and maintaining the bike that is the expensive part"... 

As someone who is not very "technically minded" (I would love to be), I recently did a bike maintenance 101 course, which has helped hugely, but most of the basic things spoken about in the thread I'm too scared to attempt on my own (change bearings, fit new cables, etc...). 

So for someone like me with very basic technical skills, I either need to learn more (not many bike "201", "301" courses around), or trust my LBS....

Fortunately after experiencing a few bull**** stories from bike stores about things that MUST be replaced on my bike, I have found a bikeshop that I can trust, and that gives me peace of mind... 

Even if you dont do the spannering yourself, make sure you have a good idea of whats what so the LBS cant spin BS stories to you....

My bike is very cost effective.

Tyres maybe once a year (I'm riding a lot more now, so probably once a year.

My last drive train I replaced exactly 2 years ago for R1100. 

Fork Service last year for R800.

The biggest consumable for me is beer and sealant.

Edit:

Like oom Ben says, If I had a "proper" bike according to current standards, I would have to rather take up action tic-tac-toe.

All my supposed "bike money" goes towards keeping the missus's steeds tip-top. But it's still not silly money.

Edited by RocknRolla

Bike shops need to stay in business, selling bikes and accessories is probably not the way, but maintenance is (or most probably a combination of all 3 is needed), so they need people like you. But people like you need good honest bike shops, so when you find the one you trust then by all means support them.

Even if you dont do the spannering yourself, make sure you have a good idea of whats what so the LBS cant spin BS stories to you....

If you don't know how to do the basics you might have a hard time arguing with the bike shop.

About 10 years ago, before I started cycling my friend told me his bike went in for a service and I was puzzled. It's soooooo simple. GCN videos cover most things very simply. Don't be scared, buy some basic tools and get stuck in.

Much less effort than booking your bike in, dropping it off and picking it up.

Edited by Andreas_187

If you don't know how to do the basics you might have a hard time arguing with the bike shop.

About 10 years ago, before I started cycling my friend told me his bike went in for a service and I was puzzled. It's soooooo simple. GCN videos cover most things very simply. Don't be scared, buy some basic tools and get stuck in.

Much less effort than booking your bike in, dropping it off and picking it up.

Some people, like Mark James above, are just not wired that way, same way some are not wired to sing or dance or other skills. Others would rather let someone else do it even if they could do it themselves.

Pyga ran at ~R1000/month at ~500km/month, ie R2/km (this is based on 5 years data so should be pretty accurate)

Road bike is about half that on a per km basis (over same time span).

I should add that I'm pretty anal; if the bike makes funny noises, i get it sorted out (small maintenance myself, bigger/more complicated stuff at LBS)

The R2/km quoted is ballpark but seems a bit low unless you do the majority of work yourself...  Assuming that derailleurs, brake pistons, cranks, hubs, rims, spokes etc. have infinite life (they don't, but most of us would replace entire bikes before we replace these items)

Drivetrain:

Chain: 5000km @ R1000 = R0.20 / km

Cassette = 10000km @ R2000  = R0.20 / km

Chainrings = 20000km @ R1000 = R0.05 / km

Brakes:

Pads = 5000 km @ R500 = R0.10 / km

Suspension

Pivot bearings = 5000 km @ R500 = R0.10 / km

Fork = 2000km @ R1000 = R0.50 / km

Shock = 4000km @ R1000 = R0.25 / km

Other

Grips = 5000km @ R500 = R0.10 / km

Tyres = 7500km @ R1800 = R0.24 / km

Sealant = 2500km @ R200 = R0.08 / km

Total parts = R1.82 / km

Service charge (~40%) = R0.73 / km

Total = R2.55 / km

If you do 5000km / year, it's R12740 or ~R1000 / month based on the estimates above and how often you prefer to replace certain items.

The R2/km quoted is ballpark but seems a bit low unless you do the majority of work yourself...  Assuming that derailleurs, brake pistons, cranks, hubs, rims, spokes etc. have infinite life (they don't, but most of us would replace entire bikes before we replace these items)

Drivetrain:

Chain: 5000km @ R1000 = R0.20 / km

Cassette = 10000km @ R2000  = R0.20 / km

Chainrings = 20000km @ R1000 = R0.05 / km

Brakes:

Pads = 5000 km @ R500 = R0.10 / km

Suspension

Pivot bearings = 5000 km @ R500 = R0.10 / km

Fork = 2000km @ R1000 = R0.50 / km

Shock = 4000km @ R1000 = R0.25 / km

Other

Grips = 5000km @ R500 = R0.10 / km

Tyres = 7500km @ R1800 = R0.24 / km

Sealant = 2500km @ R200 = R0.08 / km

Total parts = R1.82 / km

Service charge (~40%) = R0.73 / km

Total = R2.55 / km

If you do 5000km / year, it's R12740 or ~R1000 / month based on the estimates above and how often you prefer to replace certain items.

It also depends on what levels of components you are running and how hard you are on them.

As an example, for my bike.

Chain is around R500

Brake pads around R100 a side so R200

I guess you MTBikers are harder on grips because after 7000km the grip tape on my roads bike is not showing any need for being close to replacement.

The arrival of 12 speed groupsets have significantly increased my mtb bill... Chains and cassette prices are insane.

It also depends on what levels of components you are running and how hard you are on them.

As an example, for my bike.

Chain is around R500

Brake pads around R100 a side so R200

I guess you MTBikers are harder on grips because after 7000km the grip tape on my roads bike is not showing any need for being close to replacement.

Exactly. The Record Ultra chain on my one bike is on R1.5k, I could go to a KMC or Connex that's R500...

Looking at some of the costs, I am seriously considering to take up golf... :eek:  :D

Looking at some of the costs, I am seriously considering to take up golf... :eek:  :D

It looks like some people think it's a measuring contest.

BTW, I got a bunch of golf bats plus a baggie for them for like R199 at Cash Converters.

Edited by TNT1

It looks like some people think it's a measuring contest.

BTW, I got a bunch of golf bats plus a baggie for them for like R199 at Cash Converters.

Is that the stick thing that you hit with?

And a compromised handicap...