Help selecting a hardtail mountain bike

LivaN

Hey all

I'm new here and need help selecting a bike. I've narrowed the search down to a hardtail with an air fork and hydraulic breaks. I wanted something entry level, but it seems stock is a problem. I have visited or phoned all the bike shops in my city and found the average price to get those specs is R17,000 - R25,000.

I checked the second hand page on this form and found 1 option for my size in my region.

The local second hand bike shop literally has no mountain bikes at all.

So in the end my options seem to be these three at approximately the same price of R17,000.

1. Silverback Stride SX 
  2. Giant Talon 0
  3. Trek Marlin 8

Are they comparable? Should I just choose the one that feels best?

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Hey all

I'm new here and need help selecting a bike. I've narrowed the search down to a hardtail with an air fork and hydraulic breaks. I wanted something entry level, but it seems stock is a problem. I have visited or phoned all the bike shops in my city and found the average price to get those specs is R17,000 - R25,000.

I checked the second hand page on this form and found 1 option for my size in my region.

The local second hand bike shop literally has no mountain bikes at all.

So in the end my options seem to be these three at approximately the same price of R17,000.

1. Silverback Stride SX 
  2. Giant Talon 0
  3. Trek Marlin 8

Are they comparable? Should I just choose the one that feels best?

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

I assume you mean around R7k on those bikes and not R17k?

Edited by Mojoman

Nope, R17k is what those bikes sell for now, scary hey, last year the Stride SX was R12k

Sjoe....I didnt realise bikes had become so expensive like that. 

Under 25k I would have a look at Giant Fathom 2. A more fun all-round more complete package I know it's a little more than those but it's a lot more bike as well.

Other option to look at would be Merida SLX edition.

The bike shop guy recommended a large for me, I am 1.84m.

I searched hardtail, large, eastern cape and came up with one option.

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/c/hardtail-mountain-bikes?province=Eastern_Cape&meta_size%5Bis_multi_select%5D=true&meta_size%5Bvalue%5D=L

Should I not limit it by location? I was told it is a good idea to take the bike to a local shop for a once over before buying secondhand.

Edited by LivaN

Under 25k I would have a look at Giant Fathom 2. A more fun all-round more complete package I know it's a little more than those but it's a lot more bike as well.

Other option to look at would be Merida SLX edition.

25k is too much. Even 17k is technically overbudget, and I also need to think about a helmet, pants and a chain...

should I just save up for a better bike?

Thanks for the advice, I'm really new to this...only started looking at bikes a few weeks ago.

Myself and two friends bought bikes over the last couple of months. What I have learnt is that there some things that are non negotiable.

1. The bike absolutely has to have an air fork.

2. It has to have a proper groupset. No Shimano Tourney! Asking the gears to change and getting no response sucks.

3. Hydraulic brakes are really nice if you do some gnarly trails. Mechanical disc brakes are still pretty damn good but the pressure required on hydraulic brakes is so much less that on longer rides it actually makes a big difference.

All of this anly applies if you intend on doing trails. If you are just going to commute, ride around the neighborhood or ride light trails with the kids you can go for any bike.

The price of second bikes, similar to cars and motorbikes has escalated due to the inflation on new.

Hence tons of dealers are looking to buy your second hand one these days..

But value is there to be found if you are patient - not always easy though!

Does wheel size matter to you? I have an idea for a build that I am keen to do. I can build you a decent bike with way better quality parts than the shop stuff for way less than the number you mentioned. I can then box it up and ship it to you ????

I have a few carbon bikes within that budget for sale.

PM me your details and I can show you pics and specs

Thanks for all the comments so far.

I have visited a few more bike shops on the edge of my city. I found these;

• Merida Big Nine 500 - R19K. It has 2x9 gears so I assume it's an older model?
  • Merida Big Nine SLX - R22K. It has the 1x12 gears so new model I guess.
  • Titan Sonic Elite - R27K. This is a dual suspension with 2x9 iirc, but it is the cheapest dual suspension I've seen. Only problem is it's shocking neon green and medium, although it seems to fit.

@RobertWhitehead

I am looking to go for 29er. As I understand it they are common and easier to replace? Regarding assembly, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it myself but I assume it is something a bikeshop would assist with for a fee?

@King_Crispy

Are those new or secondhand bikes? Wouldn't an aluminum one have better components for the same price range?