Thumb pain on MTB handlebars

Giant Moegoe

My thumbs are killing me riding with 9 degree bars. I think the problem might be that I need more sweep. I measured it roughly with my hands in a neutral position on paper and it seems to be 12 degrees. 

I've rotated the bar and I have moved the grips and lever inwards for a total bar length of 650 that gave a little bit of relief but not much. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Bike: Giant STP Dirt Jumper with Giant Contact bars, 19mm raise 9 degree sweep 740mm long. 

If you know where I can find 12 degree bars I'm willing to give it a go. 

TIA 

How wide are your current bars and how long is your stem? 
Do you have some spacers to play around with height?

A bike fit might be the first start.

Edited by Steady Spin

16 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

I agree the fact that going narrower helped a bit tells me that the length between seat and handlebar is too long, this means that a lot of the weight is being carried by the thumbs. A shorter handlebar stem might be required.

I reluctantly went for a Retul bike fit (paid R750), and the small changes and tweaks definitely made a difference to some of the pain I had in my arms/hands. Would definitely suggest it!

I think that getting yourself to a bike fitter is your best solution.

Having an issue in the thumbs isn't necessarily the origin of the problem.

Having said that, 12 degree bars at width "was supposed to be more ergo" than tradition 5-6 degree bars yet I've experienced the same issue.  Rolling them back or forward helped in someways and in others made new issues.  I can tell you that having a long stem and to much height can cause the same problem with a 5-6 degree bar, and having excessive seat height with the saddle more forward can cause the same thing.....

So, get yourself to a fitter who will look at your setup as a whole and then adjust to help you.  

Personally I have gone to a more neutral bar of 5 degree and found more comfort.

How do you bike fit a Dirt Jump bike?

I'm asking this seriously as you guys have all said 'get a bike fit' but show me one bike fitter who can successfully set up a Dirt Jump bike using?

Unless the OP is using his DJ as an actual MTB with a 900mm long seatpost, this will likely fall outside of the realm of a bikefit.

If he IS using it as a normal bike, then I would suggest getting a proper MTB frame, then getting a bikefit.

Otherwise someone could just point him in the direction of 12' sweep bars if they have or know where to get. I'd say Google but I'm pretty certain he tried that already.

Edited by Jewbacca

5 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I'm asking this seriously as you guys have all said 'get a bike fit' but show me one bike fitter who can successfully set up a Dirt Jump bike?

Unless the OP is using his DJ as an actual MTB with a 900mm long seatpost, this will likely fall outside of the real of a bikefit.

If he IS using it as a normal bike, then I would suggest getting a proper MTB frame, then getting a bikefit

Yeah, it might have nothing to do with fit and more a case of impact injuries, in which case rest and/or a doctor's visit might be in order.

17 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

17 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I'm asking this seriously as you guys have all said 'get a bike fit' but show me one bike fitter who can successfully set up a Dirt Jump bike using?

Unless the OP is using his DJ as an actual MTB with a 900mm long seatpost, this will likely fall outside of the realm of a bikefit.

If he IS using it as a normal bike, then I would suggest getting a proper MTB frame, then getting a bikefit.

Otherwise someone could just point him in the direction of 12' sweep bars if they have or know where to get. I'd say Google but I'm pretty certain he tried that already.

Spot on! My seat is slammed the stem is slammed and I use it for what it is intended for, being a hooligan. It's not supposed to be comfy or ridden around for hours around a trail. Getting air and then slamming it down is killing my thumbs. Bombing down stairs is just as painful. By the looks of things I'm going to have to get a handlebar imported or made locally. The other thing is it has to be rated for dirt jumping since breaking a handlebar on a landing will not be fun. ???? 

And yes I tried Google. 

Cheers 

24 minutes ago, Giant Moegoe said:

It's a dirt jumper the seat is slammed all the way down. ???? 

Maybe the seats a bit on the sharp side then?