Is it available ?????

Mett

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Dirt Tracker said:

End of the day, 'is it available' is a fine icebreaker and a perfectly nice enquiry in a world where ALOT of items aren't still for sale and people don't pull those down / mark as sold / pending etc. Not like the guys have opened up with a 'hey D8ckhead, what do you think this piece of k&k is that you're trying to pass off as a world class item. I wouldn't pay that if I was the last clown on earth. Hope you slip and fall into a vat of rabid guinea pigs all wearing masks with your moms face on,  you fetid, lycra wearing, knob jockey '. 

Thanks
Now I have to wipe my lunch off my screen
????

Having done a fair amount of buying and selling on the various platforms, there is a definite different between "is this available" on FB marketplace, Gumtree and theHub.

On the Hub those are a valid query, and (when I actually see my messages) I will respond to them.

On FB, for every 30 of those I respond to, 1 might follow up with a response of any kind. I no longer respond to those on FB.

When I am interested in an item, it takes me mere seconds to type out "I'm interested in XYZ you have for sale, can I have more info" or the like.

People making ridiculous offers, expecting delivery, and wasting a seller's time is part of it because you're dealing with people.

4 hours ago, Mett said:

Am i the only one who gets ''Is It Available?'' and then no further reply or interest after that?, its like loads of hubbers are just out there to see the availability of items and not really interest in purchasing them????.

My question is : how do we deal with that? 

Do we just keep calm and say yes?, or make the first line in your ad description ''if  the ad is up it is available '' , or give the buyers a poor rating after just asking and then ghosting?  

On the latter, with regards to ratings, what if you give a buyer a poor review for a reason, as mentioned above, and out of spite he gives you a bad review. is there anything you can do with regards to that?

PS - Perhaps Bikehub could come up with a feature were you can update the status/availability of your ad daily or after a few days.

I recently had a guy…

Day 1 of ad: Is it available? Yes, the  nothing.

A few days later: Is it available? Yes, then nothing.

A few more days later: Is it available? Yes. Okay, I’ll take it. Then nothing. 

WTF??? 

I actually wanna leave the oke a bad review since we actually had agreed to a transaction which he backed out of, but I know he will just leave me a bad review in turn. And it’s just not worth it. I usually don’t let it get to me, but dam there was just something about the way this guy approached things that made me wanna reach through the phone and give him a PK.

Probably because I have had a few similar interactions in the last few weeks and this one was just the proverbial straw that broke the camels back. I just don’t get how some people operate. You see something, you want something, ask a few questions, and then take it or don’t take it, simple as that. But half the time you answer all the questions someone has and then they don’t even have the decency to reply. Hell just a simple thanks, but I am passing on this would do the trick.

2 minutes ago, Grease_Monkey said:

I recently had a guy…

Day 1 of ad: Is it available? Yes, the  nothing.

A few days later: Is it available? Yes, then nothing.

A few more days later: Is it available? Yes. Okay, I’ll take it. Then nothing. 

WTF??? 

I actually wanna leave the oke a bad review since we actually had agreed to a transaction which he backed out of, but I know he will just leave me a bad review in turn. And it’s just not worth it. I usually don’t let it get to me, but dam there was just something about the way this guy approached things that made me wanna reach through the phone and give him a PK.

Probably because I have had a few similar interactions in the last few weeks and this one was just the proverbial straw that broke the camels back. I just don’t get how some people operate. You see something, you want something, ask a few questions, and then take it or don’t take it, simple as that. But half the time you answer all the questions someone has and then they don’t even have the decency to reply. Hell just a simple thanks, but I am passing on this would do the trick.

you should try selling cars for a living. You'd think I'd have a thick skin by now, but damn.

The equivalent to "Is it Available" in car sales is an enquiry through our online presence (website, FB, IG etc.) and then the people dont answer any of the contact methods they supplied. The difference being these "leads" are monitored and if you dont make contact with the "lead" questions are asked. And if you cant get hold of the lead you did not try hard enough.

If we had comments on the ads, you would be able to see if anyone has called dibs, and therefore know if the item is still available and what number in line you are if you want to call 2nd dibs, 3rd dibs, dibs if he doesn't take it, etc. :ph34r:

Edited by Mountain Bru

11 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

If we had comments on the ads, you would be able to see if anyone has called dibs, and therefore know if the item is still available and what number in line you are if you want to call 2nd dibs, 3rd dibs, dibs if he doesn't take it, etc. :ph34r:

Ah yes, the dibs system.
Legally binding and all that...

Is it available, low ballers etc. I reply to all of them some I even entertain and others I just reply with a no thank you.

I am trying to sell something and so I will always engage who ever is interested. When people ask about the item and then lowball I will explain why I dont believe its worth that price. I have sold at slightly less then asking in similar instances. I have people ask is it available, replied and then lowball and replied with a no thank you and it ends there.

Buying on the classifieds is tough. Sellers end up selling to someone else despite you making arrangements to collect, wanting to view to possibly buy and so on.  I also only try to buy within driving distance and buy from people according the rouxtjie rule!!  

I do not accept dibs. I tell people if they should come and view or not depending if there are others interested and if the person does not take it, then I contact the other person interested.

Edited by Eddy Gordo