Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

Indeed there’s something up with the seeding. Peeps who would usually be in the2s are now 1B to C.

99er also flattered to deceive. Fast times while being pulled along in a group isn’t indicative of the ability needed to get over Edinburgh , skits, chappies and suikerbossie. 
But it makes for good ride reports

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Aluman said:

Still don't understand that they ignore the 947 for seeding.

yeah that was rather sneeky. I suspect there are some politics at play with 947.

What it means is the only seeding race I did for this years CTCT was last years CTCT.

8 minutes ago, ouzo said:

yeah that was rather sneeky. I suspect there are some politics at play with 947.

What it means is the only seeding race I did for this years CTCT was last years CTCT.

The only seeding race I have done for CTCT for CTCT since 2016 has been CTCT! 

I reckon it's ok. Seeding races really help if you're coming out of retirement from racing but are strong as an ox, or you're in the front few batches and want to stay there.

Anyone playing in the 2s and 3s is probably where they should be in terms of strength and ability.

1 minute ago, Jewbacca said:

The only seeding race I have done for CTCT for CTCT since 2016 has been CTCT! 

I reckon it's ok. Seeding races really help if you're coming out of retirement from racing but are strong as an ox, or you're in the front few batches and want to stay there.

Anyone playing in the 2s and 3s is probably where they should be in terms of strength and ability.

or if you decide to take a slow CTCT like I did with my dad a few years back.

Just now, ouzo said:

or if you decide to take a slow CTCT like I did with my dad a few years back.

Ja, exactly. But 1 race will jump you right back into the 2s if that's where you belong. 

I was in the 5s last year after riding a teeny tiny kids trick BMX with slammed saddle in 2020. Jumped right up to 2B with 1 decent ride.

I will be on the same bike this year but with 1 or two 'upgrades' so could potentially shave a few minutes off October, but I'm honestly not sure how many. Going from 3:40 to 3:20 is a lot more effort that 4h to 3:40

You seem kinda screwed if you have not ridden any events since your last CTCT. So my last couple of consistantly been between 3 and 4 hours, yet my seeding for this one is BY FAR the latest I've ever started. 

18 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Ja, exactly. But 1 race will jump you right back into the 2s if that's where you belong. 

I was in the 5s last year after riding a teeny tiny kids trick BMX with slammed saddle in 2020. Jumped right up to 2B with 1 decent ride.

I will be on the same bike this year but with 1 or two 'upgrades' so could potentially shave a few minutes off October, but I'm honestly not sure how many. Going from 3:40 to 3:20 is a lot more effort that 4h to 3:40

yeah, I'm wondering how I'm going to get from 3:40 to under 3:30. The only place I can think of to make up the time is the hills. But I've left the hill training a little late.

17 minutes ago, ouzo said:

yeah, I'm wondering how I'm going to get from 3:40 to under 3:30. The only place I can think of to make up the time is the hills. But I've left the hill training a little late.

Everywhere... The hills are too few and far between to target. 

It's just a case of having more power, more matches to burn and a faster group. Or it's windy as my butt after a tin of beans and your time doesn't matter.

3 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Everywhere... The hills are too few and far between to target. 

It's just a case of having more power, more matches to burn and a faster group. Or it's windy as my butt after a tin of beans and your time doesn't matter.

but the hills are the biggest areas where I lost time, breaking away from the group (out the back) and having to find another after the hill.

5 minutes ago, ouzo said:

but the hills are the biggest areas where I lost time, breaking away from the group (out the back) and having to find another after the hill.

The Argus has less of these hills and more mountainish climbs. You’ll be able to sit in a bunch right up to Smitswinkel and then you can just set your own tempo up the climb. The beauty about the Argus is even if you get dropped, another big bunch will be right behind.

13 minutes ago, ouzo said:

You still have three weeks worth of VO2Max hill repeats to go ;)
Plus working on staying low for longer, so you arrive at the hills slightly fresher.

it's a bit different than that and I think that's why it's so difficult to stay in the front group till the end.

You pretty much have one all out VO2 max effort up Edinburg, then Smits is a 9-10mins effort in total but in 2021 it just started going fast on the last 4 mins so still technically a VO2 max effort, but if this year it goes like we've done Bothman's a few times in the last few months, it could be a 10 mins effort with a very very hard last couple minutes...

And chappies is a very hard 2 mins into a very hard 4 mins, but all in all you don't get to recover at all between little chappies and the main climb....

That's why I'm mostly working on my 10 mins efforts rather than very specific 4/5 mins efforts at the moment, also because there's tour du cap before and it has longer climbs as well...

Edited by Jbr

1 minute ago, K20Champ said:

What times of the 99er on Saturday past indicates that you comfortably on par for a Sub 3 ctct?

2h35 probably a good guess. 🤷‍♂️
Very little overlap in the requirements for the two races.

40 minutes ago, ouzo said:

Opening your parachute. . . .