Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

Newbie question time ....

I have been reading my emails .... dont recall anything about the following ....

The race pack includes:

1.  Material race number ... is this pinned on the back of your riding top ?  Any issues if you layer up for a potentially moist ride ?

2. Small blank board with two holes ... ??

3. Page with various stickers ....

3.1 Long race number ... does this go onto the blank board?  Cable tied to the front of the bike ?

3.2 Route profile sticker ... keep aside as a memory item ?  As a FUN rider I am not too worried about the profile ....

3.3 Medical / ICE .... this goes onto the material race number  (perfectly explained)

3.4 Action photo sticker .... goes onto the helmet .... given the vent layout mine can only fit on top of the helmet, which should be visible from the front.  

Any input welcomed 👍

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Jbr said:

they scan it at the entrance but mine is on my bike, they said it's fine. No problem, except trafic in town, parking, walking all around the expo.... last year I cycled there it was much easier ;)

Where do people park for this? And is it obvious where to go? 'Cape Town Stadium' is a pretty broad location description for someone not from the area 😂

5 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Newbie question time ....

I have been reading my emails .... dont recall anything about the following ....

The race pack includes:

1.  Material race number ... is this pinned on the back of your riding top ?  Any issues if you layer up for a potentially moist ride ? As long as it's pinned to your jersey, Never had a problem when i wore a gilet and it was underneath.

2. Small blank board with two holes ... ?? For race number

3. Page with various stickers .... Helmet sticker etc. 

3.1 Long race number ... does this go onto the blank board?  Cable tied to the front of the bike ? Yes as above, on the blank board, goes on your handlebars, seatpost, wherever as long as it's visible.

3.2 Route profile sticker ... keep aside as a memory item ?  As a FUN rider I am not too worried about the profile .... Yes thats fine, some stick it top their top tube.

3.3 Medical / ICE .... this goes onto the material race number  (perfectly explained)

3.4 Action photo sticker .... goes onto the helmet .... given the vent layout mine can only fit on top of the helmet, which should be visible from the front. Hardly any helmets it will fit on flush, Stick it on the front if you want the pics, It wont go anywhere.

Any input welcomed 👍

☝️

1 minute ago, tcr-rider said:

Where do people park for this? And is it obvious where to go? 'Cape Town Stadium' is a pretty broad location description for someone not from the area 😂

you follow the "cape town stadium" signs, they will take you right where you must go, where you see cars stuck waiting to get in a parking lot, that's where you want to go 😂

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/-33.909171,18.413633/-33.9049218,18.4121756/@-33.9112965,18.4124121,16z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0

They make you park opposite the road from McD

3 minutes ago, tcr-rider said:

Somerset Road Green Point has a few parking lots, outside Cape Town Stadium(mostly very full) Green Point Park if you feeling Touristy and it's a 5min walk, Moullie Point, V&A Waterfront...

1 minute ago, Jbr said:

you follow the "cape town stadium" signs, they will take you right where you must go, where you see cars stuck waiting to get in a parking lot, that's where you want to go 😂

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/-33.909171,18.413633/-33.9049218,18.4121756/@-33.9112965,18.4124121,16z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0

They make you park opposite the road from McD

Alternatively, Park on Signal Hill, Paraglide down to the Promenade, Take a scenic walk to the expo(about 10mins), Uber back up to fetch your vehicle again LOL

29 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Popped in at the expo after a meeting.

Finding parking was the worst part ... even that was only about 5 minutes.

The shoots start OUTSIDE the stadium .... here you show you vax card, or test result .... or are diverted.  I had my ID and vax card ready so it was but a few seconds.

As a first timer I immediately turned to the right .... to collect my RaceTec chip.  I was helped quickly.  Decided to go for an "ankle chip" ..... would it work if I strapped this low down on the frame ?

Mine has been on my shoe laces/mid velcro of my left shoe since forever. Same for my wife. It works fine…even though they’ll try and tell you it wont. To be extra ‘careful’ i just always make sure my foot is in the 6pm position when i cross a timing matt. Im not putting that ugly lumo orange thing on my bike.

Just to make sure - is there nice secure parking like usual for your bike if you want to ride down for registration?

3 minutes ago, dexterdent said:

Just to make sure - is there nice secure parking like usual for your bike if you want to ride down for registration?

There’s a designated and enclosed bike area yes, I’m sure they made sure it’s safe

Just now, SEANSTEP said:

Yep, the SPCA is there if one bored looking individual sitting on a bench counts.

5 hours ago, NicholasT said:

Can I add to your question please………

To anyone that has already been to the expo… did the SPCA have a booth/stand?

5 hours ago, MORNE said:

Mine has been on my shoe laces/mid velcro of my left shoe since forever. Same for my wife. It works fine…even though they’ll try and tell you it wont. To be extra ‘careful’ i just always make sure my foot is in the 6pm position when i cross a timing matt. Im not putting that ugly lumo orange thing on my bike.

Do you unclip and do a foot-throw when the rest of us do a bike throw for the line???

3 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Do you unclip and do a foot-throw when the rest of us do a bike throw for the line???

What I think about everytime I see someone with an ankle chip. Easy way to lose 5 positions in a bunch sprint 😜