Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

Just a shoutout to all the great volunteers who make this event possible. While we were swimming around the peninsula, they were next to the road treading water, assisting with a smile.

I snapped my chain as I crested the climb from Misty Cliffs dropping down into the Ocean View decent. Fortunately there was a very friendly mechanic at the Sun Valley waterpoint who managed to fix it.  I am very grateful sir. 

Edited by WIPEOUT 1000

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

@Long Wheel Baseand his stoker came past me purring like a Porsche GT3 passing Clifton. I was running out of gel power, hehehe.

Anyone know why so many have underreading on their ascent, including me 😇

everyone i see including me - all the altitude numbers are wrong...?

10 minutes ago, WIPEOUT 1000 said:

Just a shoutout to all the great volunteers who make this event possible. While we were swimming around the peninsula, they were next to the road assisting with a smile.

I snapped my chain as I crested the climb from Misty Cliffs dropping down into the Ocean View decent. Fortunately there was a very friendly mechanic at the Sun Valley waterpoint who managed to fix it.  I am very grateful sir. 

I also had great help with a brake problem. Thanks guys

13 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

Rain wreaks havoc with your headunit's barometer. It gets blocked by water and your reading becomes inaccurate.

I think you can do an elevation correction in Strava?

1 hour ago, WIPEOUT 1000 said:

Just a shoutout to all the great volunteers who make this event possible. While we were swimming around the peninsula, they were next to the road treading water, assisting with a smile.

This 😍

7 hours ago, HdB said:

Managed a 3h12, looking like an orange drowned rat. Entered and could have made it to the start in time for a second lap. No thanks!

20220313_061034.jpg

Hiehie .... For the 9:45 start, ie also the 2nd lap, thankfully the rain stopped shortly after Ladies Mile.

Droplets were STINGING on the downhill getting there ....

Punctured next to Ocean view and took me 12 minutes to get the new tube in due to a very cold tyre being stubborn, and a bomb freezing itself to my hand (seriously, had to tilt my bike to get my hand into the river flowing down the side of the road so I could get it loose). Not my favourite day ever on the bike but at least a funny story came from it.

Was fun. Forgot how congested it gets in the lower groups. Got the wife home 1h30m faster than her previous best, and she had a blast. Good day out on the bikes. 

ps: just incase you forgot

I TOLD YOU SO

🤣

2 hours ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

What is the correct elevation for this ride ?  

7 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Was fun. Forgot how congested it gets in the lower groups. Got the wife home 1h30m faster than her previous best, and she had a blast. Good day out on the bikes. 

ps: just incase you forgot

I TOLD YOU SO

🤣

YES, you did :whistling:

GLAD you had a good ride

2 hours ago, HenryS said:

I think Garmin uses air pressure to calculate elevation gain/loss, not the GPS signal. This weather probably messes around with that.

Garmin uses both barometric pressure and gps signal

Was supposed to start in 1C. Entered town and then realised any chance of a PB was out the window so dropped back a few groups and rode with some mates. 

Couple of things. My carbon rim brake pads held up way better than expected. Honestly thought I would have no brakes at all but I’m pleased they performed admirably. 

I didn’t see one accident today which I thought was pretty amazing. My 11th tour and this was by the wettest one so it just shows people can ride sensibly if they want to. 

Lastly, I couldn’t believe how freaking cold it was. 17 degrees and completely soaked is pretty miserable. That stretch past Cape Point with the droplets falling from the trees felt like hail falling down. 

Elevation fix on Strava

Elevation on Strava FAQs - The data recorded by my barometric altimeter is wrong, can I correct this?

If you suspect that your elevation data is incorrect, you can request an elevation lookup on the Strava website. Click on the three-dot action menu in the left sidebar and select the option to "Correct Elevation." This button will only appear for data collected with a barometric altimeter (or in rare cases where a previous automatic elevation correction failed.) If you change your mind, click the button again to revert back to the original elevation.

2 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

That stretch past Cape Point with the droplets falling from the trees felt like hail falling down. 

Experienced similar coming down the drop into Claremont ... think I may even have a swollen lip as a result. 🤦‍♂️