Winelands Cycle Race in January

Paarl Rotary

28 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

Saw a super wife like 6 times out there today. Must be nice 

Yeah I need one of those… mine kept me awake half of the night, and not the fun way

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Condolences to the family & friends of the rider that passed away today after crashing on the final turn. Apparently he swung out for a rider that slipped in front of him and crashed into a stationary vehicle. Very sad to hear something like this.

Got the message in 1 of my whatsapps groups this evening... devastating as I literately spoke to the oke on route today. Recognized him from a killarney session where he was strong as nails. He was saying he is coming back after few months working off shore...

Condolences to the Fam!!!

7 hours ago, Sid the Sloth said:

That finish felt sketchy, the cones were so close together leading into the final straight. Was not a huge fan of racing into that right hander 

Not a smart run in to the finish, I agree.

That descend before the right hander made it dodge as hell... when I left the venue I saw ambulance picking up someone on the corner. Not surprised.

9 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Condolences to the family & friends of the rider that passed away today after crashing on the final turn. Apparently he swung out for a rider that slipped in front of him and crashed into a stationary vehicle. Very sad to hear something like this.

That's terrible news. It was also off camber.

I tagged on to the back of D batch as the starter counted down 4... 3 ... 2...1.... And despite my intention just to ride for the fun of it after Saturday's trailseeker found myself chasing little batches until the sheer futile foolishness was obvious even to a wannabe racer like me.

F batch caught me (no E apparently) and @billygoatannounced his presence with a strong sock game and a comment that the group seemed to think it was a crit race.

F batch left me at bothmas where the pain was real. Including my elbow where I gashed it on the trailseeker. I showed myself to be like the ZA labour market - a severe skill shortage.

A hot mostly solo time trial and a I crossed the line in 4 hours and change with the Garmin reading 40 degrees. 

He is one of my friends best mates, married, 3 kids… Just got into cycling not long ago, but was all in, apparently super strong already and looking to race in a team. I was so upset to hear the news yesterday couldn’t stop thinking about it… we all know it’s a dangerous, potentially fatal sport, but when the reality that you could one morning go out for a race and never come home hits, it’s brutal… so sad for his wife.

I was in the B batch with him all race. We still broke away from our split with 10km to go. I couldn't believe how strong this guy was! We were 5 guys and with 3km to go I called it a day and he still tried to motivate me to keep on but said they must go. 1min later this all happened. They turned right and the Marshal was almost directing immediate left again which caused the clash... his wife was with us on route handing him bottles all day.

The worst part is, the ambulance took 40min to get to him!!?

It's absolutely shocking and sad.  

Cars and race finishes shouldn't mix. This one is on the organisers. Shame on them. The finish of the Sportive in December 2021 was also dodgy as hell with guys sprinting for the line and cars inbetween. 

I know it’s nice to have someone following handing out bottles all day and we had a mom/dad following our bunch doing that.Only problem is it gets dangerous at times and we almost had the bunch taken down at one stage when dad was trying to hand out bottle on side of road while bunch came past at about 40km/h

Could of also ended bad.Imagine if all 30 guys in our group had a car following.

These wannabe pro’s in PPA  races🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Seeding is so important for these races. I had to start right at the back in H as it was my first race in 5 years and so many people just want free rides with no taking turns to pull at the front. Ended up completely burning my matches and underestimated the heat and was toast at 70km. Basically just crawled home from there.

40 minutes ago, Glen De Goede said:

I was in the B batch with him all race. We still broke away from our split with 10km to go. I couldn't believe how strong this guy was! We were 5 guys and with 3km to go I called it a day and he still tried to motivate me to keep on but said they must go. 1min later this all happened. They turned right and the Marshal was almost directing immediate left again which caused the clash... his wife was with us on route handing him bottles all day.

The worst part is, the ambulance took 40min to get to him!!?

It's absolutely shocking and sad.  

Wait, was he in the front of B at the end? I was caught by the front of B and there was an accident on the left going to the final long drag up, I stayed with the kid that crashed hard and rode with him to the finish. We were the last of the front of B over the line did not see anything. When we turned right though the traffic cop was in the middle of the road to the finish so it felt like she was directing us left. Caused some confusion, then someone did a u turn after the matts in front of the poor kid that had just crashed, was really shell shocked.

The start was also a little crazy, a mate got caught in someone falling and snapped his swift in a few places.

Very sad to hear of the riders passing, how utterly devastating for the family, RIP.

As to bottles being handed out... WTF? Is this a new thing because this was never allowed previously and sounds absolutely absurd in a funride? Have they done away with feed & water stations on funrides?

10 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Was such a nice guy! RIP Juan Gierz