• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, cmvdwalt@hotmail.com said:

Was such a nice guy! RIP Juan Gierz

Met him at the Boland 100 miler, so sad. :( 

Dont think he was in the group that caught us.

3 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Met him at the Boland 100 miler, so sad. :( 

Dont think he was in the group that caught us.

nah he wasn't... as mentioned by Glen, they were chasing back on the front group 

Regarding the bottles from the side of the road, I had no issues with it in A group, just that some seem to not think a lot about where they do this assistance, very hard to give a bottle to someone in a flat section where we're coming at 40+kph and don't don't really have a choice in the line you take. Just wait at the top of a hill or roller man...

Rest in Peace dear Juan. 

He was an incredible person - Iv had the pleasure of knowing him for many years, my husband and him trained and competed together in bodybuilding. Juan was a WP bodybuilder and year after year on the podium at national level. A few years ago, the cycling bug bit him and initially he started with mountain biking. He was a newbie, but his raw strength and fearlessness made him a machine. Last year he turned to road cycling - the rush of peleton riding, the high speeds excited him...On Friday he sent us images of his new carbon wheel...so excited for Winelands tour. And then he was gone. He will leave a massive gap in the world and our lives. A natural athlete, he was great at everything he did...but he was an even greater father. All the best to Mich and the children. 

1 hour ago, Glen De Goede said:

I was in the B batch with him all race. We still broke away from our split with 10km to go. I couldn't believe how strong this guy was! We were 5 guys and with 3km to go I called it a day and he still tried to motivate me to keep on but said they must go. 1min later this all happened. They turned right and the Marshal was almost directing immediate left again which caused the clash... his wife was with us on route handing him bottles all day.

The worst part is, the ambulance took 40min to get to him!!?

It's absolutely shocking and sad.  

I was with you guys until that break with 10km to go. Spoke to him briefly a few times, he was incredibly strong on the day.

40min for an ambulance to arrive at an event in the middle of a town, that's just gross negligence. I understand he would have lived if he received immediate medical attention. So incredibly sad for his wife & kids.

7 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

I was with you guys until that break with 10km to go. Spoke to him briefly a few times, he was incredibly strong on the day.

40min for an ambulance to arrive at an event in the middle of a town, that's just gross negligence. I understand he would have lived if he received immediate medical attention. So incredibly sad for his wife & kids.

Just gets sadder and sadder. 

Initialy I heard he crashed after Bothmans, I would have understood why the ambulance would have taken a while, but in that last corner right into town, especially since that corner was so dodgy in the last 500m... I'd assume they would have anticipated this could be a hotspot. The route we took in the rain/cold last time was a bit better even though I still crashed on the one turn in the last 2 km. Don't want to blame anyone, but this is tough pill to swallow.

Edited by Jbr

53 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

The 'golden hour' for paramedic intervention after a traumatic injury is precious, precious, precious.

22 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Initialy I heard he crashed after Bothmans, I would have understood why the ambulance would have taken a while, but in that last corner right into town, especially since that corner was so dodgy in the last 500m... when I saw we were coming back this way I thought wow that's a *** one in the last 500m I'd assume they would have anticipated this could be a hotspot. The route we took in the rain/cold last time was a bit better even though I still crashed on the one turn in the last 2 km. Don't want to blame anyone, but this corner in the finish was dodge.

The race should have finished 1-2km earlier at the top of the R44 or in Piet Retief street before the road goes down. Obviously traffic approval would've then been an issue but surely rider safety is too!

19 hours ago, Sid the Sloth said:

That finish felt sketchy, the cones were so close together leading into the final straight. Was not a huge fan of racing into that right hander 

12 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Condolences to the family & friends of the rider that passed away today after crashing on the final turn. Apparently he swung out for a rider that slipped in front of him and crashed into a stationary vehicle. Very sad to hear something like this.

What terrible news to read.

I have a lot of sympathy and understanding for anyone putting an event on in this covid times, with all the extra hurdles to navigate.

I really hope this is an accident, but the way it is reading it seems like a poorly designed course finish - I won't speculate further. The race was put on by a volunteer organisation, I hope for them that they have their ducks in a row.  

Sjoe to the family, strength and support in this toughest of times.

4 hours ago, Glen De Goede said:

I was in the B batch with him all race. We still broke away from our split with 10km to go. I couldn't believe how strong this guy was! We were 5 guys and with 3km to go I called it a day and he still tried to motivate me to keep on but said they must go. 1min later this all happened. They turned right and the Marshal was almost directing immediate left again which caused the clash... his wife was with us on route handing him bottles all day.

The worst part is, the ambulance took 40min to get to him!!?

It's absolutely shocking and sad.  

I also shaped to take the sharp left because the marshal was seemingly indicating so. Fortunately I was able to correct when I saw the crash scene.  That was really poor marshaling and completely avoidable. 

RIP fellow cyclist. This is truly tragic. Condolences to his family and friends. 

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

What terrible news to read.

I have a lot of sympathy and understanding for anyone putting an event on in this covid times, with all the extra hurdles to navigate.

I really hope this is an accident, but the way it is reading it seems like a poorly designed course finish - I won't speculate further. The race was put on by a volunteer organisation, I hope for them that they have their ducks in a row.  

Sjoe to the family, strength and support in this toughest of times.

In their defense - the same finish was used for the 2019 PPA One Tonner without serious incidents (that I'm aware off)

I feel that sketchy road sections are part of almost all road races and when doing sketchy road sections at speed (plus in a group surrounded by peeps with dodgy bike skills) you do take some of the risks on yourself.

What is incredibly sad for me the rider fell within a kilo of a couple of hospitals but on the day the system just failed him, the fall didn't have to be a tragedy.

This incident explains the PPA post on Vleisboek. So sad to have a rider passing away. Another black weekend for cycling. Hit and runs drunk driving and we’ll let’s see what the investigation reveals. 
RIP Juan 

11 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

This incident explains the PPA post on Vleisboek. So sad to have a rider passing away. Another black weekend for cycling. Hit and runs drunk driving and we’ll let’s see what the investigation reveals. 
RIP Juan 

The PPA too busy checking single file on Chappies...