GPS Watch - What to Buy?

Stretched@Birth

I’m in the market to buy a GPS Watch/Activity Tracker. I can’t bring myself to spend in excess of R12000 on the Garmin Fenix that I want, so am wondering what to spend my money on. 

I have to get do something about my general fitness, post COVID I’ve been battling and feel I need to become a bit more scientific about my training. In this me gone by, I’d start Strava on my phone to just track the activity. 

Activities are mainly cycling (MTB), a bit of running and swim tracking would be nice too (I will still swim Midmar before I die...)  

Is the Apple Series 7 worthwhile? What are the shortcomings for cycling?

If not Apple, what is the alternative? Garmin 745?

Budget up to R8k 

Any input and advice will be appreciated. 

29 minutes ago, Stretched@Birth said:

I can’t bring myself to spend in excess of R12000 on the Garmin Fenix that I want,

Budget up to R8k 

R8949 for an F6 ?

31 minutes ago, Stretched@Birth said:

I’m in the market to buy a GPS Watch/Activity Tracker. I can’t bring myself to spend in excess of R12000 on the Garmin Fenix that I want, so am wondering what to spend my money on. 

I have to get do something about my general fitness, post COVID I’ve been battling and feel I need to become a bit more scientific about my training. In this me gone by, I’d start Strava on my phone to just track the activity. 

Activities are mainly cycling (MTB), a bit of running and swim tracking would be nice too (I will still swim Midmar before I die...)  

Is the Apple Series 7 worthwhile? What are the shortcomings for cycling?

If not Apple, what is the alternative? Garmin 745?

Budget up to R8k 

Any input and advice will be appreciated. 

If you increase to R9-10k you might want to look at the Polar products (Vantage V2, Grit X, Grit X Pro or even a M2 for R5.5k)

https://ihfproducts.co.za/collections/all

Edited by TheoG

The 745 is a good device. Has more than what you stated you need.

I’ve had the 735 since 2016 as well as the Apple Watch 3 (and yes, it is suitable for what you need providing you have an iPhone to get the full “health data” benefit.

7 minutes ago, YaseenEnos said:

lots of nice options mentioned.

Consider the Garmin Instinct

Too many nice options these days .... 🙈.  Luckily I'm good for a while before need to make a choice again.

Edited by TheoG

If you can get your hands on a mint FR 945, that's your best bet. Even a mint 935 (predecessor). 945 can do everything a Fenix 6 can, just in a plastic case as opposed to metal, so obvs much lighter. 

Music? Check

Garmin Pay? Check

Traditional sport types plus 2 dozen others? Check. 

I also have a question regarding a watch. Do any of you use an Apple Watch? Is it any good compared to a Garmin, for example?

4 minutes ago, Razor1972 said:

I also have a question regarding a watch. Do any of you use an Apple Watch? Is it any good compared to a Garmin, for example?

It depends which Garmin. The FR35 and Vivoactive is about on par.

11 minutes ago, Razor1972 said:

My kids are both using the Apple watch 7 for running, swimming, gym etc.  All good,

( I must say the swimming tracks looks much much better than my Fenix 6's ows track.  But then again, they have to recharge the AW7's every evening)

Edited by Pieter-za

Wife uses the Apple Watch series 7 with cellular, so that she can leave her phone at home while training.

I'm leaning towards the Garmin Instinct Solar, coming from a Suunto Spartan Trainer.

If you want a watch that connects easily with your phone, get a Samsung or Huawei watch (if you have an Android phone) or Apple watch if you have an Apple phone. If you want a really good watch for sport, get a Garmin. I went for phone compatibility (Samsung) and regretted it. Tried a Garmin Vivoactive 4 out and, it is a much better watch for sport specific purposes. Garmin just works. No issues.