Plettenberg Bay to Stellenbosch (20 to 27 March) 742km & 10461m climbing

Heeldrop

That riversdale to swellendam elevation can’t be right

I've done that gravel road and it beautiful but I recall it being brutal - maybe it was the January heat but I just remember endless hills 

lovely route and great value for a guide 

11 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

That riversdale to swellendam elevation can’t be right

I've done that gravel road and it beautiful but I recall it being brutal - maybe it was the January heat but I just remember endless hills 

lovely route and great value for a guide 

We rode from Riversdale to Swellendam in TransCape and distance was 98km with 1356m ascent. Did include some tar around Suurbraak and single track just outside Swellendam around the dam.  

56 minutes ago, jcza said:

We rode from Riversdale to Swellendam in TransCape and distance was 98km with 1356m ascent. Did include some tar around Suurbraak and single track just outside Swellendam around the dam.  

So the elevation is correct - I’m used to much worse elevation for that kind of distance and I just remember it being such a tough day - rolling hills was what I was promised but  it was 40 degrees and one hill was nicknamed alp duez 

I must go back and enjoy it on a cooler day 

5 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

So the elevation is correct - I’m used to much worse elevation for that kind of distance and I just remember it being such a tough day - rolling hills was what I was promised but  it was 40 degrees and one hill was nicknamed alp duez 

I must go back and enjoy it on a cooler day 

Think it might be the gradient as well. The couple of rides I've done on that section have been tough. Hills might be fairly short, but they're proper steep. No long gradual climbs, just straight up and down, rinse & repeat stuff.

I am involved in the Cape Country Unplugged from Botrivier to Wildernis.This tour covers a large portion of the route.The Riversdale-Swellendam section has various options available,is very scenic and the distance vs elevation is quite rideable if you look at the rest of the proposed route.

On 1/13/2022 at 9:44 AM, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Any recommendations on getting me and my bike to Plett besides riding it there?

I will double check the elevation as per one comment earlier and confirm. I am thinking of a rental bakkie one way  to get from Durbanville To plet the BAZ BUS does not run due to covid. Once we know how many people go we can coordinate that aspect but its def not a show stopper and sharing the cost will help .........

On 1/12/2022 at 4:51 PM, jcza said:

image.png.27e6aba443a5ad102a17b5c1e0dc1c39.png

I wish I had known about that gravel track up to the dam it would have been a gamechanger for me this past week haha. Must check strava heatmaps next time...