Garmin Fenix 7 / Epix 2

Fisan

On 2/23/2022 at 2:55 PM, Furbz said:

Here is something a little special

The premium edition sapphire 7

20220223_144809.jpg.4de6b0499a73ff40eeeb785609fc0c16.jpg

20220223_144851.jpg.f34278120e6209c80d65940b11cba933.jpg

20220223_144912.jpg.db5630193c8e68ce76157b843dbfd020.jpg

Selling this on behalf of a client, he has now opted for a 7x unit.

pm me if interested 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the lil flash light a lot more than I ever thought I would. It’s one of those things you never knew you needed. 

Agreed, after living with it for the past few months, I am surprised that the touch screen hasn’t featured as much as I thought, but the light, use it super often. Even works if you stayed out to long on the front of the bike with the out front mount with the watch mount bracket. Also, unless I am missing something I thought we were going to see more in terms of mtb dynamics. I.e jump, airtime etc. like the edge, I thought I saw on the forums that it may be in the next firmware update. It was on the watch firmware on the 6 for a bit, but then they removed it with the next update. I am also enjoying the extended battery life and the wrist HR seems better

14 hours ago, Murrob said:

Agreed, after living with it for the past few months, I am surprised that the touch screen hasn’t featured as much as I thought, but the light, use it super often. Even works if you stayed out to long on the front of the bike with the out front mount with the watch mount bracket. Also, unless I am missing something I thought we were going to see more in terms of mtb dynamics. I.e jump, airtime etc. like the edge, I thought I saw on the forums that it may be in the next firmware update. It was on the watch firmware on the 6 for a bit, but then they removed it with the next update. I am also enjoying the extended battery life and the wrist HR seems better

Battery life is insane. Amazing how that has progressed. I agree, the HR monitor is leaps and bounds better. 

17 hours ago, Murrob said:

Don't have the X, so no flashlight...

The touchscreen mainly stands out during trail runs/hikes. The point-and-navigate have been useful for ad-hoc navigation on many occasions. I found the unofficially supported OSM maps just adds to the whole package as the offical Topo maps are really lacking in SA (applicable to older devices as well).

18 hours ago, Murrob said:

Also, unless I am missing something I thought we were going to see more in terms of mtb dynamics. I.e jump, airtime etc. like the edge

good point - also climb pro just doesnt seem to want to work for me either.

• 4 weeks later...

a great looking piece of kit - maybe not as sexy as the Fenix/Epix2 but all the features and its lighter.

29 minutes ago, Fisan said:

Obligatory DCR review of Forerunner 955

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/05/garmin-forerunner-955-solar-review.html

Some new training readiness features coming to the F7/Epix2 soon

on a side note, i have the following in stock if anyone is keen

EPIX 2 Sapphire black Titanium

https://www.garmin.com/en-ZA/p/760778/pn/010-02582-12

FENIX 7X Solar Sapphire Black DLC Titanium

https://www.garmin.com/en-ZA/p/735563/pn/010-02541-24

• 11 months later...

on a side not, for Garmin owners that want/need navigation, there is an app called maplily that workd wonders, you can even load courses you want to follow, the full version is like 10USD but its not needed.

16 hours ago, Craai said:

Hmm - interesting. Looks like the major diff is bigger screen, built in ECG (currently disabled) and updated HR sensor (not like the current one is giving me any issues). The rest seems to just be software which I suspect will come down to existing watches anyway. 

With a price tag of $1100 for Sapphire/Titanium - I can only imagine what this will cost locally. I guess around R24k - R26K? That is insane!! 

41 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Looks good. 

one item I concur with DC on is the flashlight. I thought it just a gimmick but use it regularly these days. Will become a standard I reckon. So useful. One of those things you never knew you needed. 

It was actually one of the main things that put me off getting the Epix and staying with the trusty old Fenix 3 (Waiting for the upgrade). The other feature I was keen on was the ECG functionality that should be along sooner rather than later once FDA certification is received

15 minutes ago, Craai said:

It was actually one of the main things that put me off getting the Epix and staying with the trusty old Fenix 3 (Waiting for the upgrade). The other feature I was keen on was the ECG functionality that should be along sooner rather than later once FDA certification is received

I work in the healthcare industry and am amazed at the functionality we have in these devices. It’s the future of healthcare I believe and will have functionality to predict various ailments and warn you. The tech and data is there already. Interesting space as populations increase and healthcare budgets decrease. Healthcare has to become smarter and wearable tech is a large part of the solution imho. 

Edited by IceCreamMan

29 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

I work in the healthcare industry and am amazed at the functionality we have in these devices. It’s the future of healthcare I believe and will have functionality to predict various ailments and warn you. The tech and data is there already. Interesting space as populations increase and healthcare budgets decrease. Healthcare has to become smarter and wearable tech is a large part of the solution imho. 

It's actually crazy how quickly these things have evolved. I remember upgrading from my Garmin 310xt (The orange brick) to Fenix3 HR and thinking how incredible this new thing is and that this must surely now be the pinnacle of what you can put in a sports watch. Not even 8 years on and ol' F3 feels like a Casio stopwatch compared to the new breed.

Edited by Craai

31 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Agree - downside is that price tag limits it to the top 5% of a population...whereas the people they may need it the most will likely never be able to afford it.