Garmin Fenix 7 / Epix 2

Fisan

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/7/2022 at 3:58 PM, Chrisac said:

Through Momentum Medical aid. I got 40% off. Score!

Isn't it shocking how we've come to think that paying R12 000 for a sports watch is a bargain? 😁. (I include myself in this)

One week (8 days)  into my Epix 2 - and I am chuffed!! Have not missed my 7x large screen AT ALL! Used it on about 4 indoor sessions (outside on bike use my Garmin Edge). Started with 16 days battery life. Right now watch is on 42% (7 days) left. So battery good - check! Outside and in direct sunlight the display is VERY visible - check! Touch screen very smooth no lags/delays - check! Cannot yet download my fav screen (not yet compatible) - not checked! Do I feel I should have bought the 7x (I had a 6x) - ABSOLUTELY NOT! 

On 2/4/2022 at 1:52 PM, rudi-h said:

Please don't buy a Garmin.  I used to love the brand, but Garmin SA just makes it a liability to own one of their devices.  Useless aftermarket service combined with substandard product quality.

So I started another thread to deal with this.  It took 2 weeks, many emails and 3 in-person visits, but I did get my issue resolved.  The experience was far from perfect and started off much worse than it ended, hence I would like to retract the comment of "useless aftermarket service".  In summary, my watch "failed" / stopped working due to a software upgrade and I was told that the only solution is replacement of the unit at a hefty fee.  After a lot of arguing and dialogue, in-person visits and emails I can now confirm that they loaded some beta software patch and it is now working and the software re-load / diagnostics was not charged back to me.

35 minutes ago, rudi-h said:

So I started another thread to deal with this.  It took 2 weeks, many emails and 3 in-person visits, but I did get my issue resolved.  The experience was far from perfect and started off much worse than it ended, hence I would like to retract the comment of "useless aftermarket service".  In summary, my watch "failed" / stopped working due to a software upgrade and I was told that the only solution is replacement of the unit at a hefty fee.  After a lot of arguing and dialogue, in-person visits and emails I can now confirm that they loaded some beta software patch and it is now working and the software re-load / diagnostics was not charged back to me.

Good to hear it’s resolved.

frustration notwithstanding.

my experience with Garmin has been positive. Don’t have a bad experience to relate, 

On 2/11/2022 at 9:28 AM, Chrisac said:

Received my 7x Sapphire yesterday. The touch screen is a game changer for me. Amazing watch 😍 not sure if I would pay R20k though. But still awesome. 

8E8790A1-B28F-4A74-962A-6F3EF78DE72E.jpeg

97511E03-F64F-49CF-8A10-52FB47B2E546.jpeg

EE6140AC-D798-4B03-B025-F5F80960FD7C.jpeg

The touchscreen really opens the menu system up. I’m using the torch way more than I thought I would.

8 minutes ago, Kom said:

The touchscreen really opens the menu system up. I’m using the torch way more than I thought I would.

How bright is it?

7 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

How bright is it?

A bit brighter than my iPhones torch, it has three levels of brightness, and a red strobe too for running

How does this torch work ? DOes the screen just light up bright white or is there a Lens with A light source behind it ? 

8 hours ago, BaGearA said:

How does this torch work ? DOes the screen just light up bright white or is there a Lens with A light source behind it ? 

Dedicated LEDs on the front of the watch. Number of modes like strobe, or white light forward red light backward based on arm swing when running. It has SoS mode, different brightness settings. It can even strobe in sync with your running cadence.

66FF7203-2DDA-4B87-B278-1654E0E9D0DB.jpeg

B6C8A0C7-6AC6-4BDA-AB61-5E09ABE14A00.jpeg

On 2/10/2022 at 8:46 AM, lechatnoir said:

How many new Fenix 7 owners are looking at the new Instinct 2 with buyer's remorse? looks compelling at 1/2 price of the Fenix 7

The real answer? I doubt anyone.

The basis of your comparison could also be linked to another thought “how many fenix 7 owners could’ve just bought the top of the range fenix 6 on one of the many crazy sales being run” at 60% of the price it’s quite a compelling price for 90% of the features

owning a 7 is not about rationalising your feature requirements backwards, but specific to the touchscreen and the software specific features unique to the version for this watch.

In terms of remorse or doubt, i think going with the fenix 7 instead of the epix  is quite real though.

I think many will stick with the fenix for one other consideration, it’s proven past success and the ability to resale easily for a decent return for the next one 😆

5 hours ago, Kom said:

In terms of remorse or doubt, i think going with the fenix 7 instead of the epix  is quite real though.

yeah. My decision to go for the F7 is that I want something that can last 5 years or so. I'm still not convinced the AMOLED of the Epix would do that.

But the Instinct? Nope. The 2nd gen seems like a great watch, but I'm not down for the Casio look. But the biggest miss is the mapping features - understandably so for a B&W screen. If Garmin started releasing full mapping features to their mid-tier watches I'd definitely consider those options....

On 2/13/2022 at 2:57 AM, Kom said:

Dedicated LEDs on the front of the watch. Number of modes like strobe, or white light forward red light backward based on arm swing when running. It has SoS mode, different brightness settings. It can even strobe in sync with your running cadence.

66FF7203-2DDA-4B87-B278-1654E0E9D0DB.jpeg

B6C8A0C7-6AC6-4BDA-AB61-5E09ABE14A00.jpeg

Cheers, is it A lekker thing to have , the torch. Erming and ahming bout the 7 at this point and wondering if the 7x is that much better than 7. I have relatively thin wrists.