Most useful/useless trail-head maps

Karakoram

This is something I have spent an embarrassing amount of mental energy on myself. 

So many great trails, even brand new ones, are poorly marked, with poor maps, poor wayfinding, and very little information on what you're actually getting yourself into. MTO forests are in my opinion the biggest offenders, but even flashy new private trails get it so very wrong sometimes - I was very surprised to see one in the Cape with South pointing to the top of the page. I heard the ghosts of my university lecturers cry out in unison. 

In my mind there are 2 main kinds of trails:

• Ones where you follow a set loop, with potentially some extra loops coming off those that return to the main loop (most trail parks)
  • Trails where you can string together many different sections into whatever format you like, using a base jeep track or starting point (think Jonkershoek and all other MTO trails I've ridden)

The first type is easy. You should have a clear indication of what kind of trail you are one (length, elevation, technicality) and then crucially, very clear wayfinding at each split as others have alluded to. Where there are extra loops that are tougher or more technical, that should be made very clear. Great example: Cairnbroghie farm. Very happy taking first time riders there, because I can see exactly what we are going to deal with. Also makes it great for a mixed group, because you can choose how technical you want to ride and meet back up very quickly. Thaba trails also has this feature. 

The second type of trail poses a bigger challenge for mapmakers and users, but should allow for certain preset routes. Trailforks does this very well, but personally I don't want to constantly stop to check my phone at every intersection - the whole goal is to get away from technology. So again, wayfinding at each intersection, with a clear colour or name would really help. It's great if you're a local and stringing together your favourite course from memory, but Jonkershoek, Sabie, and Concordia were all absolute mazes to me the first time, and only constant GPS checking got me onto the best singletrack where I wanted to be. 

At the end of the day, the goal is to be welcoming to younger or less experienced riders, so there must be a very clear understanding of the trails on offer, and very clear wayfinding once you're there, otherwise things quickly become frustrating (especially once thirst and tiredness sets in). On that note, marking water points also helps!

Edited by Nico van Loggerenberg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind satellite versus normal, but please have colours indicate difficulty/technicality and not length. Length and elevation can be indicated by scale on the map and numbers where required.

55 minutes ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

This is something I have spent an embarrassing amount of mental energy on myself. 

So many great trails, even brand new ones, are poorly marked, with poor maps, poor wayfinding, and very little information on what you're actually getting yourself into. MTO forests are in my opinion the biggest offenders, but even flashy new private trails get it so very wrong sometimes - I was very surprised to see one in the Cape with South pointing to the top of the page. I heard the ghosts of my university lecturers cry out in unison. 

In my mind there are 2 main kinds of trails:

• Ones where you follow a set loop, with potentially some extra loops coming off those that return to the main loop (most trail parks)
  • Trails where you can string together many different sections into whatever format you like, using a base jeep track or starting point (think Jonkershoek and all other MTO trails I've ridden)

The first type is easy. You should have a clear indication of what kind of trail you are one (length, elevation, technicality) and then crucially, very clear wayfinding at each split as others have alluded to. Where there are extra loops that are tougher or more technical, that should be made very clear. Great example: Cairnbroghie farm. Very happy taking first time riders there, because I can see exactly what we are going to deal with. Also makes it great for a mixed group, because you can choose how technical you want to ride and meet back up very quickly. Thaba trails also has this feature. 

The second type of trail poses a bigger challenge for mapmakers and users, but should allow for certain preset routes. Trailforks does this very well, but personally I don't want to constantly stop to check my phone at every intersection - the whole goal is to get away from technology. So again, wayfinding at each intersection, with a clear colour or name would really help. It's great if you're a local and stringing together your favourite course from memory, but Jonkershoek, Sabie, and Concordia were all absolute mazes to me the first time, and only constant GPS checking got me onto the best singletrack where I wanted to be. 

At the end of the day, if the goals is to be welcoming to younger or less experienced riders, the goal has to be very clear understanding of the trails on offer, and very clear wayfinding once you're there, otherwise things quickly become frustrating, especially once thirst and tiredness sets in. On that note, marking water points also helps!

Thanks for the great feedback. It certainly is a challenging exercise to find the right balance of presenting useful information to trail users (of different skill levels) at an affordable level of effort to the trail owner. At the same time material used for trail signage shouldn't have any intrinsic value in order to discourage vandalism and pilfering - a very real problem in my experience.

The satellite image is by far the best one. It is also the easiest to read and locate. As long as the trails are adequately marked.

I have never had the need to make use of trailforks or any other gps map to find my way cycling. Recently we got lost in the cederberg and we had a jol. Not once did we bother to refer to a gps map. We just kept riding until we saw signage. Sadly the trails were poorly or rather insufficiently marked. Meaning the trail heads were alot further than expected. So a sign or 2 along the way to indicate direction to trail and possibly how far could work. 

Another suggestion from someone that doesnt do much offroading but has had to make use of jeep track to take the shortest route back to the start.

If a trail crosses a jeep track or shortcut back to the start, a sign there indicating which way would help

As someone who has an hons degree in GIS( basically mapping). My 2c is that well placed, well described route markers are far better than any map.

1- GPS generation, you will be surprised how few can actually read a map and navigate with it well.

2- The map is always at the start, never on a signpost there where you get lost. How many remember to take good enough photos of a map when starting and have you tried to read a picture of a map on a phone and use it to navigate.

Some trails have excellent markers, where extra loops describe how much it will add and let you make decisions in the field. Good marking that is clear and well maintained is most important.

Regarding the map input here is my 2c

A lot of mtb trails are in forestry and farming areas. So 1 fire, 1 harvest, a cleared field and that satellite image background is obsolete and a lot of people will battle with it if the picture says there is a forest and the they standing in a cleared field. You also very often have paths etc that are not on the colour coded mtb trails, that end up hidden under the the canopy on the satellite image and then when you there on the ground if the markers are missing you are not sure which path to take and if you had the map you would be no better because you can't see how many paths are on the map under the trees.

This all leads us back to something that is not a new concept and has been know to work well for years- as Shebeen pointed out - A topographic map.

Contours, rivers, roads, powerlines, buildings and fences are good handrails for most navigators and do not tend to change as frequently as vegetation, which satellite imagery is ruled by. Contours add value in knowing how much climbing/descending a route has as well as how steep it is. If well mapped then all paths can be included and you can see them clearly. People literally spend years planning topo map colours to make them easier to read and easier on the eye. All of SA's topo maps are available digitally for free, apart from opentopo, open cycle etc.

A QR code with a link to download a hi-res copy of the map onto your phone is a useful one, rather than taking a photo of a sign, scan the code and get linked to a good copy.

Is it a map if there is no scale, north arrow and legend? Many will tell you it is just a picture without those.

Anyway, that is my 2c. A well done topo map that you can download. But rather spend the money on route markers that are fire, theft, non degradeable, non edible and idiot proof. If you think you have enough route markers, order double.

2 hours ago, dexterdent said:

I don't mind satellite versus normal, but please have colours indicate difficulty/technicality and not length. Length and elevation can be indicated by scale on the map and numbers where required.

Ironically, length and elevation is more critical for the shorter routes .... kids and newbies trust this data ....

Signs at exits of trails pointing/guiding to the direction of the next trail and then as mentioned signs giving direction to trails on connecting jeep track etc. 

"Well marked" trails is common theme. The follow-on question is, what would the attributes of good trail markings be? Perhaps the following:

• Placing of trail marking boards to afford maximum visibility to the anticipated use speed of the trail.
  • Fixture height of the board between .8 and 1.5 m above ground.
  • Colour of the board support post - bright contrast to surroundings perhaps yellow.
  • Board size adequate to host the content.
  • Legible fonts at a distance of 4m.
  • Board background - white.
  • Board content - Trail direction arrow - black.
  • Board content - Trail difficulty grade in accordance with IMBA standards.
  • Board content  - Route colour code.
  • Board content - Text descriptor of route destination at regular intervals.
  • Board content - Trail owner details
  • Board content - Additional reflective arrow for night navigation

3 hours ago, Karakoram said:

"Well marked" trails is common theme. The follow-on question is, what would the attributes of good trail markings be? Perhaps the following:

• Placing of trail marking boards to afford maximum visibility to the anticipated use speed of the trail.
  • Colour of the board support post - bright contrast to surroundings perhaps yellow.

Consistency.

Boards mounted on the same style and colour post throughout the network, at the same height.

Arrows: Don't use "up" arrows to show a trail continuing, and then suddenly place a directional arrow to show the route continuing along a road, I'm going to begin looking for a split.

Always place arrows at the same point of a corner or intersection. It drives me mad when they are always just before the corner but then randomly the arrow will be placed AFTER a corner because there was a convenient post available there.

As for the rest of your suggestions, I don't think it really matters, so long as your markers/boards display information the same way throughout the trails.

I should have to pay attention to the first board to see what information they contain and how they are laid out, but after that I should be able to gather any necessary information with a quick glance.

Edit. Mark EVERY intersection. What seems like an obvious route to you may not be obvious to me if a tree falls, grass grows or I just lose concentration and think I should be going a certain direction.

Edited by Trashy
Edit

14 hours ago, Karakoram said:

A map at the start of the trail is handy, confirming -

- distance

- elevation

- COLOUR for each route

546946584_HermanusTrails-24.jpg.6688e49263a9b81077f20d59a619eb3c.jpg

Then along the "coloured arrows" at those turns where the rider must choose between two options.

1180974939_HermanusTrails-23.jpg.a8d8b4ccee82393a6ce6f51b3f4a36fc.jpg

The "map" is repeated some spots for the Hermanus trails.  Nice, but not needed.  The well positioned coloured arrows are the most important part

At the trail head - sat map with color overlay and legend on color is my preference. Tips - a well marked "you are here" is always appreciated & preferably the map orientation should be similar to the trails, i.e. left of the map is to your left as you face the map.

On the trail - clear markings similar color coded to map. Tips - logical/universal colors, i.e. green is easy and black is for the insane & chicken run signs can be very useful for newbies to first checkout the level of insanity required. 

Not per se included in the OP question but to consider at trail head map - departure times for individuals looking for groups, say on the hour every hour. As such a newbie can then wait to see if anyone is willing to join a group ride. 

Edited by vanniri

At the start there should be signs with the various routes with their distances, difficulty level and elevation. Each route should be colour coded. A map is nice, a lot of people are into maps, but most wont remember it once they are on the trail.

Out on the trail, coloured arrows from start to finish should be used to indicate to a rider where to go. If certain section is used by different trails (e.g. the 35km and the 50km) then both colour coded arrows should be shown, not just one of the two and expect people to figure out which route they are now actually on.

The best I have seen (so far) are the signs at the Buffelsdrift trail head.

Mountain Bike Trails – Buffelsdrift |Gauteng South Africa (2019) – Mountain  Biking Across South Africa

Where the trail splits, they have the following:

split.jpeg.e439092f7f8ede948b910ef477513c8c.jpeg

25 minutes ago, KarlT said:

At the start there should be signs with the various routes with their distances, difficulty level and elevation. Each route should be colour coded. A map is nice, a lot of people are into maps, but most wont remember it once they are on the trail.

Out on the trail, coloured arrows from start to finish should be used to indicate to a rider where to go. If certain section is used by different trails (e.g. the 35km and the 50km) then both colour coded arrows should be shown, not just one of the two and expect people to figure out which route they are now actually on.

Mountain Bike Trails – Buffelsdrift |Gauteng South Africa (2019) – Mountain  Biking Across South Africa

This is nice signage. It has good stuff going for it. Would work well where the trail network is like a set-course dinner, but probably not as well where the trail network offering is more of a buffet-style (you can ride what you like - your choice of how you want to make up your route). It certainly has features that could be carried over when renewing the sign-posting of a trail network.

1 hour ago, KarlT said:

Buffels overall has the best trail markings out of any trail Ive ever ridden. 

One thing that nobody has mentioned here. The expense of signage. It's probably the sole reason for inadequate route marking. After building a trail network (it aint cheap!). Adding signage into the mix afterwards is often a thought that hasn't crossed the landowners mind and the expense and effort in erecting signage and keeping it maintained is a big one!