E-bikes on Strava

Velosauce

People giving OP lots of flak here.

Strava has an ebike ride option but it does require the rider to actually change the ride type to Ebike ride.

I have one guy I follow that rides an ebike and he always records it as an ebike ride and i give him kudos and enjoy him sharing his experiences

But One of strava big features is comparisons/competitions whether you into it or not and having ebikers filling up top positions among "normal" rides does dilute the value of this feature.

If you not using strava for this feature and only comparing you to you then thats all great and more power to you (I am with you in that) BUT dont criticize someone else who actually wants to use a feature that was intended to compare their results against others. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, YaseenEnos said:

Comon dude, is the Hub not part of Social Media..... 

Come On? 

Yep it is part of social media

Its also free isnt it?

How do you think they make money off this site and the reason they commercialized it? Dont think its the subscriptions now that make it work ?

I would strongly suggest you look at your views about "free" and "privacy" and then realize that if its free you are the product and that google and facebook have monetized your data in to a multi billion dollar industry which has long term and far reaching consequences for everything in society. you are the product mate. Never mind the attention deficit disorder and the fact that digital interface design is using the same pleasure sensors in your brain as crack cocaine does. You are part of a mass unregulated social experiment, but now i am starting to sound a bit crazy so will leave you to do your own thinking.

Go and google top most invasive sites in terms of data harvested and shared and you will see Strava in there. They have your private health data, just to start with. And they have a lot of it.

22 minutes ago, jannosmit said:

My idea is to have a default bike which is "E-bike" and not MTB/Road/Gravel as currently, and this would then automatically load as an E-bike activity.

I've communicated this to Strava before but with no luck yet. 

Use ActivityFix https://www.activityfix.com/

You can set up whatever rules you want to automatically assign a bike.

Even whether you make it public or mute.

Edited by shaper

45 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

I have spent a long time reading about how the social media becomes an attention sponge and how it robs you of time and enjoyment. I know its OT but Strava is like the facebook or Instagram of cycling. the hit of a PB is so addictive when we are out riding we even load Strava live segments and start racing people. All the enjoyment is gone. you are either going faster than your PB (big dopamine hit) or slower (bummed) in mid ride now. 

I live and work in the big/data/analytics space where AI's know more about you than you do yourself and machine learning will predict things you cant dream of.  I also run Strava live segments - initially it was fun, but now i am turning it all off. I love logging the data and seeing where everyone rode over the weekend plus comparing my segments and seieng what i did and working out who is improving.

BTW IN case you dont know it Strava is amongst the top 50 most invasive apps for data harvesting and sharing, it has a LOT of data about you specifically about your health etc. AI and ML can turn that in to scary predictions.

Sorry long post but you are right. Time to take all the connected features off and just ride. You can log the ride afterwards and keep a record . its always fun. 

But in the moment - go ride the bike in the sun, up a steep hill, listen to your heart and breathing and get in touch with yourself and kill the attention monster that has robbed you of the visceral experience of a ride when you clear a line or ace a drop off or hang with a faster bunch for the first time. All of this is actually why you do it.

Strava is a lot nastier and a lot worse than what anyone thinks TBH.

Rant off.

Lol... Uber Eats number 4 on the list 🤣

If you subscribe to any of the META apps I don't think you have to worry about Strava.

apps-sharing-to-third-parties.png.f7f168fb1496f626bee6e844e67f9270.png

Edited by _David_

different strokes different folks, honestly as said above e-bikes is 1 of N WAYS cheaters will cheat, I use strava to track and compare my activities and guys I ride with, in my mind if I dont know you I couldnt care less if you pack 2" and you feel better about cheating yourself into a KOM you dont deserve,

9 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

So like umpteen threads on e-bikes before this the problem is not the e-bikes per se but some and only some e-bike riders?

Well I never 😳

Humans, the weakest link

1 hour ago, YaseenEnos said:

People giving OP lots of flak here.

Strava has an ebike ride option but it does require the rider to actually change the ride type to Ebike ride.

I have one guy I follow that rides an ebike and he always records it as an ebike ride and i give him kudos and enjoy him sharing his experiences

But One of strava big features is comparisons/competitions whether you into it or not and having ebikers filling up top positions among "normal" rides does dilute the value of this feature.

If you not using strava for this feature and only comparing you to you then thats all great and more power to you (I am with you in that) BUT dont criticize someone else who actually wants to use a feature that was intended to compare their results against others. 

I couldn't agree more. If people didn't care about it as much as they claim, then why even post?

I love the competitive aspect of strava and a lot of the people I know do as well. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's also completely voluntary. I've had battles with friends over segments that have gone on for years. Heck in some obscure segments in some small towns (the only place where I stand a chance) I've even made it to the top of the leader board. IT'S FUN to me! I've even become friends with random strangers because we've had unspoken battles on strava.

Yes people cheat, but like most games in life they are chops and they are in the minority. It's not a reason to give up on one of the main premises of the app. Some nice pro-active solutions provided by a number of people on the thread to help maintain the integrity of the results on strava, thanks! I think that is what the OP was after.

5 minutes ago, NickGM said:

! I think that is what the OP was after.

Uhmm nope don't agree. The OP wasn't after constructive help to manage STRAVA or accommodate guys with e-bikes on STRAVA.

He out and out wanted them banned.  He didn't want help to manage the perceived problem he wanted the problem removed.

Below is his original post.

Hey all, 

I'm sure this has been asked before, but do E-bike records belong on strava? (among normal pedaling records and people who drive their cars on roads with their garmins still on😁🤷🏻‍♂️)

I don't think so.

13 hours ago, Velosauce said:

Hey all, 

I'm sure this has been asked before, but do E-bike records belong on strava? (among normal pedaling records and people who drive their cars on roads with their garmins still on😁🤷🏻‍♂️)

I don't think so. 

I'm also quite concerned about the little old ladies on powerful e-bikes who have accidentally run me of off trails because they can't handle their bikes, but that's a whole different kettle of fish🤷🏻‍♂️

<looks for all relevant meme that illustrates where this is going to go but too lazy to actually do a search>