Wet weather gear

The Ouzo

With CTCT still looking to be a wet race I'm thinking maybe its time to buy, at the minimum, something for the top part of my body for wet weather riding.

As its not something I will use often, and the budget is pretty much zero, what recommendations for something cheap but decent enough that I can go out and buy today.

Obviously the cheapest option is a garbage bag, followed by a non cycling rain coat I already have, but something more cycling/sport specific would be preferable.

20 minutes ago, NicholasT said:

I use this https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/first-ascent-men-s-magneeto-cycling-jacket . It does a decent job of keeping you warm and dry. Though I have to add that my upper body getting wet doesn’t bother me. However, my shoes filling up with water makes me want to pull to the side of the road and phone my wife to pick me up.

Take those thin plastic bags that fresh bread and milk is packed in, put on a sock, put on a plastic, put on a shoe. 

Your feet will smell afterward, as they are not breathing, but they will be dry. 

32 minutes ago, ouzo said:

With CTCT still looking to be a wet race I'm thinking maybe its time to buy, at the minimum, something for the top part of my body for wet weather riding.

As its not something I will use often, and the budget is pretty much zero, what recommendations for something cheap but decent enough that I can go out and buy today.

Obviously the cheapest option is a garbage bag, followed by a non cycling rain coat I already have, but something more cycling/sport specific would be preferable.

If budget is tight go look at Decathlon's range. Great products at low price points. 
The thing is, a rain jacket lasts very long, so you'll be getting value out of it for a long time. I still use one that I bought in 2009. 

1 hour ago, NicholasT said:

I use this https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/first-ascent-men-s-magneeto-cycling-jacket . It does a decent job of keeping you warm and dry. Though I have to add that my upper body getting wet doesn’t bother me. However, my shoes filling up with water makes me want to pull to the side of the road and phone my wife to pick me up.

Proper roadie shoes have drain holes at the toes. Problem solved.

6 minutes ago, droo said:

I have proper roadie shoes with drain holes at the toes. But my proper roadie socks are absorbent.   Perhaps I should cut drain holes in the toes of my proper roadie socks. Problem solved.

+1. These are great, i have one for winter riding here in CT and got one for my wife on special last year for -50% lol. Still has the tags on, she’ll use it for the first time on sunday I think

19 minutes ago, NicholasT said:

I have proper roadie shoes with drain holes at the toes. But my proper roadie socks are absorbent.   Perhaps I should cut drain holes in the toes of my proper roadie socks. Problem solved.

yeah its the socks that are the problem more than the shoes.

Look once I've gotten my head around the fact that I'm going to be wet then I'm fine, I just ride and enjoy it, but having some better gear to keep a little drier makes it that bit more comfortable.

I have the Anatomic rain jacket. Fits in the back pocket and does enough to make riding in the rain bearable. Humans are waterproof anyway, so no need to worry about getting wet. Perhaps have a cap/casquette to help limit the amount of water dripping in the eyes.

Socks are going to get wet, so I wouldn’t even bother with plastic in the shoes. Just don’t wear your Sunday best, rather a pair you don’t mind getting dirty. The boot covers work, but only in the extreme cold.

More important to having access to your nutrition, so a rain jacket could make accessing your back pockets harder. Gels under the bib shorts is easier than trying to reach behind you.

Also consider an ass-saver, available at Decathlon, only R59. It prevents the rear wheel spray from hitting your rear end and helps mentally to keep the crack cleaner.

https://www.decathlon.co.za/mtb-mudguards/123846-18361-flash-mountain-biking-rear-mudguard-black.html#/demodelcolor-8327783/demodelsize-254?queryID=9bf0df7471fa27a38ea436fff0633463&objectID=577333

In that case, ride MTB in the rain in flat pedal shoes to give you an idea of what proper swamp foot feels like. Then the roadie shoes will feel great by comparison. Had a nice damp ride last week and those drain holes earned their keep.

3 hours ago, ouzo said:

Duvet, sleep in 

2 hours ago, droo said:

not related but we rode with tin foil over our socks in Mallorca. Worked like a charm. 

(I actually just wanted to drop the word Mallorca into this thread)

Mallorca.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

2 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

not related but we rode with tin foil over our socks in Mallorca. Worked like a charm. 

(I actually just wanted to drop the word Mallorca into this thread)

Mallorca.

1197370095_mallorca.jpeg.45ac24d3c6c8908ad8a03bd5ee1a3f40.jpeg67zv4l.jpeg.83f2b1878e4863156b39422485bcc2cd.jpeg