Mates just shake their heads (BCD change on crank spider)

NotSoBigBen

25 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I was reminded this morning of that time my crank broke in half many years ago, went and found a photo ... it was not welded!

SmartSelect_20220407-092120_Facebook.jpg

did you try some Q20?

Not as successful as I had hoped .... 'top dead centre' is a tad off, apparently my 'spec' was not detailed enough. 

I guess it's really only a cosmetic matter if running a round blade but will really mess with the timing of an oblong one?

Anyway I'll fit it to my hardtail that I only ever ride occasionally and just happens to have a round blade

I'll post a pic of it fitted just now

20220407_094801.jpg

5 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Not as successful as I had hoped .... 'top dead centre' is a tad off, apparently my 'spec' was not detailed enough. 

I guess it's really only a cosmetic matter if running a round blade but will really mess with the timing of an oblong one?

Anyway I'll fit it to my hardtail that I only ever ride occasionally and just happens to have a round blade

I'll post a pic of it fitted just now

20220407_094801.jpg

Looks a bit odd, especially the bottom-left arm. But I assume he used the chainring you showed previously to allign the mounting points before welding?

image.png.3ef7dff3ab77da34f63d971b1ed1170d.png

3 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I was reminded this morning of that time my crank broke in half many years ago, went and found a photo ... it was not welded!

there is an Afrikaans saying " met genoeg geweld kan jy jou finger afbreek in jou eie hol "( spelling and something like that)

SIMPLY CANT HIDE BRUTE POWER

11 minutes ago, DIPSLICK said:

there is an Afrikaans saying " met genoeg geweld kan jy jou finger afbreek in jou eie hol "( spelling and something like that)

SIMPLY CANT HIDE BRUTE POWER

Haha ja ja ... I'm sure there was a 'fault in the metal at manufacture' 😜

4 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Krag, waar is jou einde!

1 hour ago, Vetplant said:

Looks a bit odd, especially the bottom-left arm. But I assume he used the chainring you showed previously to allign the mounting points before welding?

image.png.3ef7dff3ab77da34f63d971b1ed1170d.png

I think his main focus was that the chainring would fit and it'd be as round as possible ...

I'd be interested to know how closely the BCD matches spec.. .if it's out by more than say 0.2mm getting the bolt to go in will be tough. Getting it to snug down won't happen and there will be some creaking....