What features make you smile

Being some what responsible adults now days and not high flying youths that spend most of the time on one or no wheels, I wanted to find out what do you enjoy the most when out on trails?

As a MTB skills coach I work with all levels of riders and it seams like there's no consensus as to what's the most enjoyable features trails. Some love the gnarly steep stuff, some line the manicured jumps others enjoy a challenging climb.

So my question to you is, what's you favorite feature to find on a trail and why?

Just being able to still ride is the best. There are nice stuff like, single track, long downhills, twisty routes, rock gardens, etc. But as I am looking after a lot of beginner mtb'ers, you still see their enthusiasm for the sport and that is the best, just to go ride. 

You've got me thinking.

I like variety mostly.

Do not leave out the techie bits where you have to apply your mind and have honed some skills to get through.

Hate it when they dumb down some parts of trails because it is too "difficult" or slows you down.

9 hours ago, Coach Eugene Elliott said:

Being some what responsible adults now days and not high flying youths that spend most of the time on one or no wheels, I wanted to find out what do you enjoy the most when out on trails?

As a MTB skills coach I work with all levels of riders and it seams like there's no consensus as to what's the most enjoyable features trails. Some love the gnarly steep stuff, some line the manicured jumps others enjoy a challenging climb.

So my question to you is, what's you favorite feature to find on a trail and why?

8 hours ago, FrancoisdeVille said:

Just being able to still ride is the best. There are nice stuff like, single track, long downhills, twisty routes, rock gardens, etc. But as I am looking after a lot of beginner mtb'ers, you still see their enthusiasm for the sport and that is the best, just to go ride. 

7 hours ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Downhill flow gets me going, I love a trail that keeps me engaged and sharp all the time.

Everything everybody said. 

When the ride so good I hear this song in my head and start thinking I'm on this level 🤣

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CbWycAOohU1/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Eugene with our schools group I regularly se people start from their first dirt ride .... especially the parents....

All too regularly people dont even know which side is which brake .... many dont know their gears .....

When you see people fall off A.frames ....

But you know the joy in showing them these basics.  Taking them through basic bike handling skills ....

Personally .... Hermanus Trails are my favorite 👍👍  Okay, Eselfontein is right up there 😁

And yet, that last section of Conties, after Cheeky turns .... I use the B.line around those jumps.  My friend grabs air at every opportunity ... I get to spare my knees from all the jumps. 

We are spoilt for choice ....  enough beginner friendly trails.  Enough trails that require your attention .... and a short drive when you need something more .... 

Variety ! .I never back down when it comes to the technical bits ,but i also know my limits and stay away from jumps .I love Magalies monster for the challenge and technical stuff up and down ,but i also like a lekke road race or gravel riding .I have all the equipment and use different bikes for their purpose .If i had to choose it will be XC mountain bike riding .My next adventure will be the e bike thing 

Edited by eala

24 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Climbing the old canary trails at Jonkers. 

I remember the lower bits of that  - rocky and tech as a climb. Loved that section if that's what you're talking about, with a real sense of achievement. Long gone sadly.

I like trails with the least built up look to them - features for sure, but those that use the natural landscape without resorting to huge piles of clay and manicured berms. For instance on TM,  as the jeep track degrades rocks appear and these make excellent kickers while dodging the rim bashing ones when you land. You can have a green trail with trailside features that are blue graded. In general trail builders overdo things IMO. That said, there is also a place for a flow trail with jumps for Africa. 

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Climbing the old canary trails at Jonkers. 

Ooo yes a good tech climb is always fun. I enjoyed Irish 7 & 8 in Jonkers this weekend its just a pity it take 300m of accent to get to them lol.