PSA: Dishonest seller

CdT85

Hi Guys and Girls

This is not a rant thread, nor  me trying to get BikeHub all worked up. I am posting this purely to warn other buyer of dealing with a seller on the classifieds.

I recently purchased a second hand shock (a rare size I have been searching for for a while 152 x31) from hubber @Roux 1

He seems to be the owner of the bicycle shop Extreme Cycles in Klerksdorp.

The shock arrived Friday afternoon and on inspection I found that the shock is pissing oil from the rebound dial/ lockout lever and the stanchions is warn (refer to attached photos). I immediately informed the seller that the shock is fubar and that I would like to return if it for a refund, and he ignored me , but read the message.

I gave him 24h to respond, then rated him accordingly. Below it the whatsap messages between us:

2022/06/29, 11:53 - Messages and calls are end-to-end encrypted. No one outside of this chat, not even WhatsApp, can read or listen to them. Tap to learn more.
2022/06/29, 11:53 - +27 72 122 8427: <Media omitted>
2022/06/29, 12:28 - Charl: Awesome. Thank you
2022/07/01, 16:33 - Charl: IMG-20220701-WA0018.jpg (file attached)
Good afternoon. I just received the shock, thanx for the speedy shipping. But i am not happy with the condition of it. The stanchion is warn and the shock is pissing oil from the rebound/lockout lever assembly. I would like to return it for a refund please.
2022/07/01, 16:33 - Charl: IMG-20220701-WA0015.jpg (file attached)
2022/07/01, 16:33 - Charl: IMG-20220701-WA0016.jpg (file attached)
2022/07/01, 16:33 - Charl: IMG-20220701-WA0017.jpg (file attached)
2022/07/04, 16:56 - Charl: I take it you do not want to chat about the defunct shock you sold me or refund me for this deal?
2022/07/05, 04:52 - +27 72 122 8427: I saw your comment posted, can't I say anything after the fact.
2022/07/05, 05:24 - Charl: The fact is you sold me a leaking, worn out shock and then ignored me after i made you aware of it as soon as i received the shock.

I saw your last online status on bikehub, meaning that you have been online after  I sent you a message, but you ignored me, and now play the victim.

But fact still stands. Seeing that you own a bicycle shop, and that you deal in parts, you should have known that a shock leaking oil from its dials with a worn stancion should go to the bin. And not ne sold off on bikehub to make a quick buck.

That means you are either dishonest, or you dont know anything about bike parts.

I tried to resolve this amicably, BUT you ignored me. You read my message on whatsap and decided not to respond.

Now you play victim, because I called you out on your dishonesty and made other people aware of it too.

I will be starting a thread on bikehub, warning others and post this conversation there as well.

Attached is the photos as well.

Be careful dealing with this seller. 

I tagged him in the thread, so he is more than welcome to state his side.

IMG-20220701-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20220701-WA0018.jpg

IMG-20220701-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20220701-WA0017.jpg

1 minute ago, Steady Spin said:

Not to be a dick here but did you not request detailed photos before pulling the trigger on this? 

No, I didnt do my due diligence. So yes, school fees paid. Again

5 minutes ago, droo said:

Bikehub Pay.

The end.

If the seller refuses, move on.

Also - when buying suspension on a budget, expect to have to service it at the very least.

True yes.

Options just limited. Been looking for a 152x31 for a while now.

excitement got the better of me

1 minute ago, CdT85 said:

No, I didnt do my due diligence. So yes, school fees paid. Again

The seller is still in the wrong to not offer a refund. 
Will make a note to NOT deal with him through. 

Looking forward to his version of events and how he plans on rectifying this. 

That's an Ebay purchase. All the local ones come off old Elements and have been ridden into the ground. And no spares to be had anywhere.

3 minutes ago, droo said:

That's an Ebay purchase. All the local ones come off old Elements and have been ridden into the ground. And no spares to be had anywhere.

I am trying to revive an old 2006 Mongose ECX. The Rockshox MC3.1 is still functional, just wanted a fox rp23 to match the Fox Float RL up front.

Guess it will be a "display" and not a "ridable" restore now

37 minutes ago, CdT85 said:

I am trying to revive an old 2006 Mongose ECX. The Rockshox MC3.1 is still functional, just wanted a fox rp23 to match the Fox Float RL up front.

Guess it will be a "display" and not a "ridable" restore now

Since they are so scarce, wont it be possible to "rescue" it?  Maybe Cogent (or other fox service) can get it in a usable condition?

Edited by TheoG

3 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Since they are so scarce, wont it be possible to "rescue" it?  Maybe Cogent (or other fox service) can get it in a usable condition?

It does not seem that there is spares available for it. And from wat I read up on MTBR it is not  really repairable if it start leaking oil out of the lockout lever.

The wear on the stanchion is also a bit worse than what my cellphone camera shows. Opened up the air can Friday night, and the shock was filled with oily mud. I guess it is still has the same dust wipers it left the  Fox factory with

I must admit I had to send people to collect money from 2 separate Hubbers who tried their luck. Got my money back on both occasions but it cost them a lot of collection fees. None of them sell here anymore I see.

2 hours ago, CdT85 said:

And from wat I read up on MTBR it is not  really repairable if it start leaking oil out of the lockout lever.

99% of the time the leaky adjuster thing is just a service kit. Whoever dished out that wise advice has obviously only watched YouTube videos on air can services.

The damper body may be more of a challenge, but if you get it here I'll be able to tell you pretty quickly.

5 minutes ago, droo said:

99% of the time the leaky adjuster thing is just a service kit. Whoever dished out that wise advice has obviously only watched YouTube videos on air can services.

The damper body may be more of a challenge, but if you get it here I'll be able to tell you pretty quickly.

Awesome news. Thanx Droo. Will make a plan to get the shock to you. 

6 minutes ago, droo said:

I have an old RP23 o my 2008 scalpel that’s leaking around the compression adjuster. Omnico said no spares for that part of the shock . If you have some Magic I will drop It off. It’s little more than an infamous air spring at the moment