PhilipV

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Thermophage said:

poor Myles. He did a good thing with that writeup IMO

I should actually ping him, haven't seen a sign of him not here not strava not instagram.

Hope he's ok

Just now, Meezo said:

I should actually ping him, haven't seen a sign of him not here not strava not instagram.

Hope he's ok

He's good just not riding at the mo much ,if at all :)

1 minute ago, Meezo said:

Hope he's ok

just did, he's doing ok! thankfully

20 minutes ago, Thermophage said:

poor Myles. He did a good thing with that writeup IMO

I agree.

HubMob got heated!

• 1 month later...

So @ChristiaanSt& @PhilipV You two seem to be in the know.. 

I don't really want the stages to be published in advance as It will make for even more practicing on course, which is inevitable, I mean there are only so many tracks in Jonkers.. But can you elude to the amount of climbing we are in for ? Christiaan mentioned the runs are not all full pull vibes, which is exactly what I shouldn't have heard as my panic training has now taken a backseat :) 

I'm sure its not going to be much less than 1500m though ey? 

Regards

8 hours ago, Bos said:

I don't really want the stages to be published in advance as It will make for even more practicing on course, which is inevitable, I mean there are only so many tracks in Jonkers.. But can you elude to the amount of climbing we are in for ? Christiaan mentioned the runs are not all full pull vibes, which is exactly what I shouldn't have heard as my panic training has now taken a backseat :) 

Regards

No idea sorry Bos(s) 

Sidenote, I had a heavy crash on Jonkers on Saturday. Felt like an Aussie rugby player on Sunday.

We must have been the first riders dropping in. A branch fell over the trail on Armageddon, I hooked up with it under the arm and it pushed me off the track. Fortunately I landed mostly between rocks. Unfortunately the front wheel will need to be rebuilt. 

1 hour ago, PhilipV said:

No idea sorry Bos(s) 

Sidenote, I had a heavy crash on Jonkers on Saturday. Felt like an Aussie rugby player on Sunday.

We must have been the first riders dropping in. A branch fell over the trail on Armageddon, I hooked up with it under the arm and it pushed me off the track. Fortunately I landed mostly between rocks. Unfortunately the front wheel will need to be rebuilt. 

I thought you said it felt like Etzabeth;) Glad you're not too hurt. I need to come do some recce's.

I have not done plummer since EWC 2019! It's not the trail you'll make massive time on but you could lose lots of time If you don't get it right. And then If they decide to make the DH trail part of it for instance, I've never actually ridden it. I think It will dry up by Wednesday and I may try get there for an afternoon ride, otherwise Saturday of course. 

10 hours ago, Bos said:

Regards

last year with 4 stages we did about 1400m

Edited by herrowpreeze

38 minutes ago, RiverInTheRoad said:

Really cool stages that they chose, something new. BIG day out.

Yes, something different for sure! very cool day. I like the top half of Armageddon more, and in fact often skip the bottom half, but the climb up there is hard, so I'm OK with that :)

was wondering if they may bring in the DH track as I saw the jumps have been primed and I almost diverted on my last visit.. And so I will have to! Not even sure where it starts though.

All I can say is 1800m and 35km is going to hurt. I entered because the initial page said 25km, LOL!! Saaltjie, after what most would consider a big day out already is going to be a teambuilding exercise. But we are doing it together, and thats what counts right! 😁

The place is going to be packed this weekend.

I like the idea of slightly shorter stages taking in more of what's on offer at JH. I also had a fat crash on Plumber last weekend. Unlike Phil, my bike survived fine, but I'm quite beaten up. I was owned by those two drops in quick succession about 1/4 way down. Took me  a good few seconds to breathe properly after that and my ribs are still tender...

So I recently acquired a squishy bicicletta that might make it LESS uncomfortable taking part in one of these things.

Im pondering coming along even if it’s just to praat k@k along the way and to meet some of you. But i havent been on a mtb in a while - and one obviously does not progress offroad skills on gravel and road bikes in my case ( i think i actually might have regressed)…

- AND ive never actually ridden at Jonkers. Gasp shock horror, i know right? To be fair it is always burning and quite a drive. They should consider a new trail and call it Mordor.

So then yes i’m rusty AF and seriously lacking confidence after my fall in 2020. i’m 39y old so going brittle i presume, and i’m a dad now too so cant just close my eyes and send it.

Will me coming along for the ride, most probably slowest of all = laughter/ ridicule and/or death? 🤣

Ive watched most of the things including this video up here over the years and i understand that a camera flattens the landscape, but it looks doable?
Like i said, going in blind ( and dry?)

Its this or a boring PPA ride on the same route they’ve done 1648 times this year already😅. I think i want to choose this instead?

thoughs? Do you remember your first time at jonkers as a noob? How was it?
 (No i’m not talking about the things you did off trail in the bush)

Edited by MORNE

5 minutes ago, MORNE said:

So I recently acquired a squishy bicicletta that might make it LESS uncomfortable taking part in one of these things.

Im pondering coming along even if it’s just to praat k@k along the way and to meet some of you. But i havent been on a mtb in a while - and one obviously does not progress offroad skills on gravel and road bikes in my case ( i think i actually might have regressed)…

- AND ive never actually ridden at Jonkers. Gasp shock horror, i know right? To be fair it is always burning and quite a drive. They should consider a new trail and call it Mordor.

So then yes i’m rusty AF and seriously lacking confidence after my fall in 2020. i’m 39y old so going brittle i presume, and i’m a dad now too so cant just close my eyes and send it.

Will me coming along for the ride, most probably slowest of all = laughter/ ridicule and/or death? 🤣

Ive watched most of the things including this video up here over the years and i understand that a camera flattens the landscape, but it looks doable?
Like i said, going in blind ( and dry?)

Its this or a boring PPA ride on the same route they’ve done 1648 times this year already😅. I think i want to choose this instead?

thoughs? Do you remember your first time at jonkers as a noob? How was it?
 (No i’m not talking about the things you did off trail in the bush)

Take the bike out to hoogies and contermans, learn how to brake, corner, go over a rock, jump badly etc and go and do the broduro....

What's the point of owning the broest broduro bike if you're not going to broduro?

I'm missing it. I am bleak