Jan Ullrich - the best there never was

lechatnoir

I've just finished this masterpiece by Daniel Friebe on Jan Ullrich. If you're a reader and vaguely interested in the pro peloton, give this a shot. Daniel Friebe's writing is fantastic but is eclipsed by his investigative journalism. Oddly, it's his second biography on a subject he never spoke to. Merckx was the other...

Reading it, I feel really sorry for Ullrich. Yes, he didn't do the best things during his career, but man, if someone with half an eye open was looking out for the guy, how might things have been different? Not everyone is rock solid and able to withstand what gets thrown at them, especially when they're the tallest tree catching the wind.

And like Merckx, watching him ride (also like Merckx, doped or not) in a race must have been something else. I wish I'd paid attention... And reading further between the lines, I wonder how things will turn out in time the come for the riders we watch and admire today just like those of old?

Friebe may be happy to know I give this 5 wine glasses 🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷

Recognized as the best of his generation and the biggest threat to blue train. (when he was competing at the same time)

I have such fond memories of the era. It was school holidays so I watched every stage live, flag to finish. Then watched the 2h recap with my dad in the evenings, then watched the 30min highlight package the next day before the live coverage started again.

The saddest part for me is the substance abuse that follows once they retire. Then suddenly the support base is gone and they have to deal with the repercussions alone.

He was an exceptional rider and I loved watching him in action, I really hope he gets his **** sorted out, I'd hate for him to end up another Pantani.

55 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

I like Jan & his story excluding what I don't know which will probably be revealed in this book, but not going to drop R520. Anywhere else we can get it for less? 

image.png.bea0cb949cffaa8876d41fc46e4b8a0a.pngimage.png.d04b95c04c9df2f71195765ed6cdd744.png

I listened to the Audiobook on Amazon, you can get it free with a 30 day trail 

8 minutes ago, CharlieGaul said:

I listened to the Audiobook on Amazon, you can get it free with a 30 day trail 

Shot I'll give that a go. 

As for the substance abuse, his biggest rival during the cycling era was Lance Armstrong and post retirement they actually became close again when LA & Hincapie assisted Ulrich to become "clean", flew over there booked him into rehab, etc. was clean for not sure how long, sadly I hear he has recently lapsed again.

15 years ago when he still regularly came over for the Argus (Cape Town Cycle Tour) I was able to get a photo with him.

image.png.f7d422455f35d4e2e67ff45384b58a0a.png

19 minutes ago, Andrew_Smith said:

Ullrich was a legend! I tried getting the matching T-Mobile kit to match the bike but sadly life had other plans.

Love that bike!

spacer.png

I have some old T-Mobile bibs...... Only done about 20000km - basically new

Love listening to Friebe on The Cycling Podcast. I have no doubt it is an excellent read and I have been waiting to get my hands on it since they did an episode introducing the book :) 

2 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

I have such fond memories of the era. It was school holidays so I watched every stage live, flag to finish. Then watched the 2h recap with my dad in the evenings, then watched the 30min highlight package the next day before the live coverage started again.

don't want to ruin your memories with facts, but pretty sure you didn't get the whole stage back then!

2 hours ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

The saddest part for me is the substance abuse that follows once they retire. Then suddenly the support base is gone and they have to deal with the repercussions alone.

He was an exceptional rider and I loved watching him in action, I really hope he gets his **** sorted out, I'd hate for him to end up another Pantani.

While he still remains in my top5 list of biggest D005E5 to walk the planet, Lance did a good thing here to help when it was needed last year.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/i-was-almost-dead-jan-ullrich-speaks-out-on-his-recovery-on-lance-armstrongs-podcast

I know a guy who, as a youngster, did 1 Argus only. His first and last..........at around 3 hours! We talked about the tour and of course times came up! He said his father bought a ticket at a charity auction to ride the tour as the stoker on a tandem.......with Jan Ulrich! He gave  the entry to his son, then around 14 or so, but he never got into cycling. (Never been able to verify the story though, but I hope it is true because it is a good story.)

Edited by DJR

18 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

don't want to ruin your memories with facts, but pretty sure you didn't get the whole stage back then!

Not in the late 90s, but certainly early 2000s.