Shimano Rant - with a happy ending

thebob

Need to blow off some steam. I've had my Trek Top Fuel since December last year. Great bike and I'm enjoying it immensely. One small issue was the rear brake was always a bit squishy, even after numerous attempts at bleeding it. It got to the point that the rear brake was almost useless around three weeks ago. So I took it in to my local shop who diagnosed a broken piston in the caliper. I shared the bike's invoice with them and they sent a warranty claim through to Shimano. I got feedback today, that sorry the pistons are not covered and I must cough for a new caliper. What the actual?! This was an issue from new that I was struggling with. A bit more digging reveals that Shimano doesn't even make the pistons available as spare parts. So much for sustainability and looking after the customer! Properly annoyed 🤬

Anyway, if someone has a Shimano caliper that they are not using with 15mm a piston, please let me know as I'd like to repair the caliper so I have a spare as the final insult is that these pistons seem to brake for vokol.

All sorted in the end!

Edited by thebob

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shimano caliper pistons are notorious for chipping, especially on the 4 pots. It happens when resetting pistons at pad change time - if the pistons go in even a bit skew the corners crack off and they leak. The best way to avoid this is to reset pistons with the pads still in place, it decreases the chances of the pistons rocking in the bore.

Calipers, when available, are at least reasonably well priced.

Also I have a piston for you.

Alas, @droodoes not have the size I need. Thankful for his offer of help from him. Still on the lookout for a 15mm caliper piston

Delights of Shimano.....it's a luss but I ordered titanium lever piston replacement on AliExpress, took a while but worked like a dream. 

In my searches there was definitely all the caliper spares. Check it out 

Ps: in the checkout section you can usually choose DHL .... Otherwise free shipping takes months. Also read reviews before ordering 

1 hour ago, thebob said:

Snip

Funny enough, I have started to notice that Shimano "is besig met k@k hierso" They're forcing the market to replace rather than repair. I mean for them it makes perfect sense, I mean why provide a piston when you can sell a whole calliper? It refers to the piston kits inside the levers as well. 

But I feel your pain and I do have a piston for you. I also have a 4 pot with one broken piston, I can just remove the others for you 🤪.

O and PS: I will have stock of the service kits in the not to distant future 

22 minutes ago, Snaagi said:

Delights of Shimano.....it's a luss but I ordered titanium lever piston replacement on AliExpress, took a while but worked like a dream. 

In my searches there was definitely all the caliper spares. Check it out 

Ps: in the checkout section you can usually choose DHL .... Otherwise free shipping takes months. Also read reviews before ordering 

I've got the Heppe piston replacement kit in my sights if no one can help

What really annoys me is that both the big S brands do this. I've recently replaced a perfectly good GX Eagle derailleur which had a pap clutch. At least the Shimano clutches can be serviced and parts are available for them.

4 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Funny enough, I have started to notice that Shimano "is besig met k@k hierso" They're forcing the market to replace rather than repair. I mean for them it makes perfect sense, I mean why provide a piston when you can sell a whole calliper? It refers to the piston kits inside the levers as well. 

But I feel your pain and I do have a piston for you. I also have a 4 pot with one broken piston, I can just remove the others for you 🤪.

Thanks Robert! Sent you a PM

2 hours ago, thebob said:

I've got the Heppe piston replacement kit in my sights if no one can help

What really annoys me is that both the big S brands do this. I've recently replaced a perfectly good GX Eagle derailleur which had a pap clutch. At least the Shimano clutches can be serviced and parts are available for them.

The GX Clutch (Spring) is actually serviceable and you get the spring as a part from the local importer...

3 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Nothing new. Shimano has been doing this since way back when. I've been hoarding broken shimano items to repair others from the 7spd days. 

5 hours ago, thebob said:

Need to blow off some steam. I've had my Trek Top Fuel since December last year. Great bike and I'm enjoying it immensely. One small issue was the rear brake was always a bit squishy, even after numerous attempts at bleeding it. It got to the point that the rear brake was almost useless around three weeks ago. So I took it in to my local shop who diagnosed a broken piston in the caliper. I shared the bike's invoice with them and they sent a warranty claim through to Shimano. I got feedback today, that sorry the pistons are not covered and I must cough for a new caliper. What the actual?! This was an issue from new that I was struggling with. A bit more digging reveals that Shimano doesn't even make the pistons available as spare parts. So much for sustainability and looking after the customer! Properly annoyed 🤬

Anyway, if someone has a Shimano caliper that they are not using with 15mm a piston, please let me know as I'd like to repair the caliper so I have a spare as the final insult is that these pistons seem to brake for vokol.

If you dont come right,im sure that I'll have a piston for you