[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2023

FootballingCyclist

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

So I have realised I can no longer loose any more weight before the race so I am now deleting as many messages off my phone as possible to make it lighter. #marginalgains

don't forget to drain your garmin and di2 battery down to at least 30% before the race too

53 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

Maybe if you got split peas then you got pins… 🤔🤔

I got a low carb pack .... no rice .... no peas .... no chips .....

At least I got pins ...😋

Beginning to sound like a lucky packet .... 🙉 🙈 🙊

Actully glad about the water bottle .... need a new bottle at the IDT 👍

46 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

So I have realised I can no longer loose any more weight before the race so I am now deleting as many messages off my phone as possible to make it lighter. #marginalgains

Pfft. Look at mr amateur over here, still carrying a phone when racing. What's next, a spare tube?
/s

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

So my Expo ....

Had a morning meeting in Muizenberg .... made sense to get back to Bellville via the Expo, lunch time and all ....

JIP, e-prix stands is a total MESS !!  Ended up circling past the lighthouse, as directed by the CTCT volunteers ....  Back at McDonalds the cops finally explains the situation: "NO parking"  Go park at the Waterfront, or on Main Road, or ....

A number of us proceeded to Main road.  A friendly volunteer in a yellow bib waved us to a parking area, even showed us where to park.  Looked well organised and reminded of last year's volunteers.

Okay, lunch time has shrunk to lets get a move on !

Also found a friendly but effective control of the RaceTec chips to enter .... got a lot of bemused looks, as I had my one cycling shoe in my hand.  Chip is strapped into the lases ....

Quick and most efficient number collection.  Very nice friendly group.

Goodie bag ..... uhm ja .... :P

Expo .... directly after the number collection you walk through a few stalls .... and then nothing ... HUH .....  It is a short walk before you actually get to the EXPO.  Difficult to say how many exibitors, due to the layout.  Certainly all the usual suspects were there.  The "bike shop" was again VERY BUSY !!  Lunch just about gone I carried on walking and had a quick look at a few of the stalls.  Some nice energetic young sales people at work.

Of course I spent some time at Teng Tools .....

I then stopped at the one stall that I was planning on buying at.  Actually held back on shop purchases over the last few months, knowing what specials they had last year ....  R5 difference between their price and what my LBS sells it for ......  I still had a nice chat with the gent, as I DO enjoy their products.  When I mentioned the price he turned to the cashier and gave a 17% discount ..... 

The goods are there, but you need to know your prices ....

I really enjoyed "DC Designers" stall.  Some NICE stuff, for every type of sports person.

EDIT - BEST stall ... MTN .... they have a liquidiser on a bike .... :clap:

I was never going to get the best experience out of it in such a short time, still enjoyed it.

Got back to the car to see a "pamphlet" under the wiper .... same with the cars next to me.  We are all used to the oportunistic marketing at these events, so I expected some product add .... NOPE ....

- we were shown where to park, by what looked like the same bibbed volunteers of last year.

- ZERO no-parking signs !!!

but we all got a R500 fine .....

But Officer T Motsepe of group 204 (officer number 100521136) was happily watching people being shown where to park ... and then pinning a fine on the car once we were out of sight.  He was in NO way stopping the "bibbed volunteer" to show people where to park !!

All my feelings and emotions on this aside ..... PLEASE get the message out there: "ONLY park in marked parking bays"

NO - the lack of a "no parking" sign does not make it a legal parking spot .....

And NO, the cops just smile while the "bibbed volunteer" shows more cars to these spots.

Allow enough time to park at the Waterfront and enjoy a long walk.  ENJOY the Expo, it is actually nice, even though it is worth knowing your prices.

not a good experience.....walked from the waterfront in about 10mins or so....rain didn't really disappear.....but that parking...

21 minutes ago, daveno7 said:

not a good experience.....walked from the waterfront in about 10mins or so....rain didn't really disappear.....but that parking...

I’m gna Uber 👌🏻🤲

10 minutes ago, throttles said:

I’m gna Uber 👌🏻🤲

Whatever you do .... DONT park where bibbed staff show you to park ....

BEST we can do is get the message out there and stop this moneygrabbing behaviour .... standing there while the bib shows people where to park, then fining after they walked away ..... poor form ....

Part of me hopes he does this with a legal eagle .... he really needs to be taken to task ....

3 tips to perform well:

1. Rev your engine for at least up to 90% effort the day before. It’s a mental and mitochondria thing.

2. Sleep well tonight and tomorrow night as the race jitters and early rise time may keep you somewhat awake on Saturday night.

3. Have fun and be lekka. The spirit of this event is about mass participation and community-building in a country that is desperate for good news.

E95B8FF1-9946-44BC-9DB1-8B54303902FD.jpeg

Edited by 'Dale

1 minute ago, FranE said:

Howsit all

Can one collect racepack on someone's behalf with email confirmation? 

I’d even say just have the SMS on your phone they recd with race number. But a letter will be safer.

19 minutes ago, FranE said:

Howsit all

Can one collect racepack on someone's behalf with email confirmation? 

Only if you don't want split peas in the racepack

10 hours ago, 'Dale said:

3 tips to perform well:

1. Rev your engine for at least up to 90% effort the day before. It’s a mental and mitochondria thing.

2. Sleep well tonight and tomorrow night as the race jitters and early rise time may keep you somewhat awake on Saturday night.

3. Have fun and be lekka. The spirit of this event is about mass participation and community-building in a country that is desperate for good news.

E95B8FF1-9946-44BC-9DB1-8B54303902FD.jpeg

4. HOLD YOUR LINE!!!!!!!!!!!