FootballingCyclist

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, SoloCyclist said:

I just want to know why DSTV had a stall at the expo.......LOL

Was very close to giving them a piece of my mind about their single device streaming policy, but had other priorities to worry about, like finding my pack of split peas.

16 minutes ago, Meezo said:

my boss is in 1A i'm in 1B, i need to make Monday morning as awkward as possible...

Go early into your shoot and make sure you dropping watts up to hospital bend.

All the best

On 10/6/2022 at 5:22 PM, NickGM said:

Let's get this back on track by laughing at my misfortune and desperation. I write this every year...

I'm one of those guys that would love a sub-3 and I've done a few 100km rides at sub-3 pace, so it's possible. But I'm not really exceptional and I don't train 350km per week, so I need to be in a good bunch and I need the weather to play ball as well. This is how it's gone so far....

2015: Train hard. Fire shortens route.

2016: Just didn't ride it. As I understand, the weather was good.

2017: Train hard. Friend organizes skiing trip with free accommodation and very cheap flights. I skip CTCT and the weather is perfect with something like 1400 sub-3s.

2018: Train hard. On the start line but strong winds cancels the race.

2019: Train hard. Very windy, but not cancelled. Only 141 sub-3s. I limp home at 3:20.

2020: Global pandemic. I decide not to ride

2021: I ride at "fun ride" pace. Best weather since 2017 obviously.

2022: Train hard. It rains for 3 hours straight and I do a 3:11.

Jury's out for 2023. On one hand, training hard seems to bring the bad voodoo. But on the other hand, I'm slowly getting closer. I suspect I will have another go at sub 3 in 2023 but if a plague of locusts descends on cape town on race day please don't blame me.

Just a follow up on my earlier post. I broke my hand and am not riding so its almost certain that the weather will be fantastic. Gentle sun and a tailwind the whole way around. You're all getting sub-3's. Enjoy.

3 minutes ago, NickGM said:

Just a follow up on my earlier post. I broke my hand and am not riding so its almost certain that the weather will be fantastic. Gentle sun and a tailwind the whole way around. You're all getting sub-3's. Enjoy.

Agreed on this - every year I am fat and unfit the weather is fantastic. Without a doubt the October 2021  race was the best ever - I had a good ride in 2020 just prior to pandemic but my track record of being fit in the face of cycle tours and then the 11th hour things change, goes back to the detour and OuKaapse weg which was just a cr@p route - best ever was 3:19 on that - hated that route. I was strong in 2009 - Cape of Storms day, then in 2018 cancelled after it blew gales - also on the shortened route and last year was my 21st so it was not optional and i rode in a flood. this year is Covid that has put paid to me so i am using discretion rather than valour.

Enjoy and have fun to all doing it  - it is truly one of the greatest if not the greatest race on the calendar and a wonderful experience. I wish i could still have all the butterflies i had on my first one again and that sense of achievement when you eventually start getitng better seedings and work for 3 to 4 months just for this event and the time and the chance of a sub three.

3 hours ago, FranE said:

Howsit all

Can one collect racepack on someone's behalf with email confirmation? 

Email said you need confirmation email + copy of ID

but in reality nobody checked my own id so not sure they'll check if you're collecting on someone's behalf

Read earlier someone got charged R400 for a sub at the EXPO, rocked up and told them If they could show me anywhere on website or on any other communication that it said R400 and not R200 for the substitution I would be willing to pay it, but without that how am I to know its not R4000.... Lady had nothing to respond with and just charged me R200. Hopefully they now charging everyone that.

The one thing I wanted was fastbars, dischem shelf was empty. 

the flee market guys with the show cleaners and the massage devices irritates the crap out of me as I walked up and down a few times whilst waiting for my mate to finish flirting with anything in a skirt. 

I did find some incredibly comfortable gloves at Vye, just a bit much for me to spend right now even with their “20%” discount. But they are on my shopping list. 

16 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

The one thing I wanted was fastbars, dischem shelf was empty. 

the flee market guys with the show cleaners and the massage devices irritates the crap out of me as I walked up and down a few times whilst waiting for my mate to finish flirting with anything in a skirt. 

I did find some incredibly comfortable gloves at Vye, just a bit much for me to spend right now even with their “20%” discount. But they are on my shopping list. 

it was 2 boxes for R100 it was never going to last...........

AND definitely agree with those shoe cleaner guys, also had solar panel guys hassling us

2 minutes ago, SoloCyclist said:

it was 2 boxes for R100 it was never going to last...........

AND definitely agree with those shoe cleaner guys, also had solar panel guys hassling us

2 for R100 is the normal expo special. 

and we were there like 11am yesterday, surely that should have had more stock. 

18 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

Just go to a normal Dischem, that is the current deal that they have on them. So much for expo "specials".

22 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

I was there at 6pm and the shelves were packed, perhaps they were still waiting on stock