Rhino Run 2022 - KAMAAAN Benky!!

Shebeen

What sort of comms do they have ?

AZ must have gotten info at the stops .... so he knew what time he was chasing ...

Did Benky get updates on the ever closing gap ??

RESPECT to two worthy opponents 👍

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Wow. Wow. That was an epic finish. Huge respect to AZ. With way less sleep he came from behind and took it at the finish line. Absolutely gutted for Benky. This is going to hurt for a long time, but considering his accident not so long ago and that he didn't really train for this race (AFAIK he wasn't planning for it, but decided to enter because of the quality of the field), he was AMAZING! Keep your head high Kevin, you were an absolute beast. 

I hate to think what the gap couldve been if Az did not have that mechanical where he lost 2 hours. Kudos to Benky for putting up a respectable fight.

Official classification at 17mins. Still amazing how it can be this close over this distance. 

i see some riders have been naughty:

1C7E4480-567A-49CC-B4C6-0F6198C51E50.png

1 hour ago, milky4130 said:

I hate to think what the gap couldve been if Az did not have that mechanical where he lost 2 hours. Kudos to Benky for putting up a respectable fight.

Jip. Was also thinking about that. 

Benky had an epic ride. 

Must be horrible knowing that this oke is chasing you down and you just have nothing to offer. For Benky. In that world you probable see the light coming from 15km away. I am used to being caught and buried there and then. Benky is a legend and an all round kiff oke. He doesnt need to prove his pedigree to anyone imo.

Edited by Vetseun

Some background media with the ultra endurance athletes in Abdullah & Co 🎬

CC4E908E-64F9-491F-9B08-71E7DA1ABD1B.jpeg

Edited by 'Dale

On 10/29/2022 at 7:22 AM, ChrisF said:

What sort of comms do they have ?

AZ must have gotten info at the stops .... so he knew what time he was chasing ...

Did Benky get updates on the ever closing gap ??

RESPECT to two worthy opponents 👍

Abdullah lost his phone, so I'm not sure what he replaced it with so could have been a ring ring from the pep store, but he wasn't able to check the tracker. He mentioned he was on the phone with his girlfriend for updates at the end. I hope she worked out how to use predictive mode or compare similar breadcrumbs otherwise her info could have been wildly varying if just going on latest timestamp.

Otherwise the last two stops were solitaire (270km to go) and Rooisand(70km). I think Abdullah might have had slightly quicker stops there, and would have had a good idea what the gap was.

but beyond that, he just had better legs at the end. 

12 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Abdullah lost his phone, so I'm not sure what he replaced it with so could have been a ring ring from the pep store, but he wasn't able to check the tracker. He mentioned he was on the phone with his girlfriend for updates at the end. I hope she worked out how to use predictive mode or compare similar breadcrumbs otherwise her info could have been wildly varying if just going on latest timestamp.

Otherwise the last two stops were solitaire (270km to go) and Rooisand(70km). I think Abdullah might have had slightly quicker stops there, and would have had a good idea what the gap was.

but beyond that, he just had better legs at the end. 

Theres a good insta video on the FB dotwatchers group where he gave some insights. Im not on insta so i dont know how to share it, but basically Abdullah said that his partner informed him that he was within 20km or so of Benkie heading into the last stretch of +- 100kms or so. Thats when he thought to himself that he could make the catch, which he then did. He mentions chasing Benkie’s light and then making the catch and subsequent pass. As you said, he clearly had the legs.

something that also just caught my eye now while watching a youtube video & I could be mistaken, AZ was carrying a much lighter load than Benky? Also the gravel tires AZ was running vs Benky's 2 point somethings must've given him a slight advantage on some sections, I do understand that there was very sandy stretches of +-50kms if not more in total but the advantages outweighed the disadvantages surely?

On 10/29/2022 at 7:50 PM, gemmerbal said:

Official classification at 17mins. Still amazing how it can be this close over this distance. 

i see some riders have been naughty:

1C7E4480-567A-49CC-B4C6-0F6198C51E50.png

clearly I am too old for instagram.

New to actually using it and find it incredibly user unfriendly.

https://www.instagram.com/sofianeshl/

I tried clicking on the face to find the story thing but it has all disappeared now, is his allegation post gone for good now?

23 minutes ago, gemmerbal said:

Theres a good insta video on the FB dotwatchers group where he gave some insights. Im not on insta so i dont know how to share it, but basically Abdullah said that his partner informed him that he was within 20km or so of Benkie heading into the last stretch of +- 100kms or so. Thats when he thought to himself that he could make the catch, which he then did. He mentions chasing Benkie’s light and then making the catch and subsequent pass. As you said, he clearly had the legs.

I think it was at Solitaire on the live feed Benky said he is not following the tracking, I think not doing that also contributed, not sure if that would've made a difference to a motivated AZ.

Just now, milky4130 said:

something that also just caught my eye now while watching a youtube video & I could be mistaken, AZ was carrying a much lighter load than Benky? Also the gravel tires AZ was running vs Benky's 2 point somethings must've given him a slight advantage on some sections, I do understand that there was very sandy stretches of +-50kms if not more in total but the advantages outweighed the disadvantages surely?

benky was on rekon 2.4" = 60mm

AZ on 48mm

I think the gains on the hard stuff would be well outweighed  by the losses in the sand. Benky got in to stellenbosch first despite stopping on night 1.

prior to Betta I calculated earlier on this thread that Benky had stopped for sleep at 31hours, AZ just 16 - they didn't stop again. Benky's average moving time was clearly quicker, AZ just never slept so was able to keep up that way and was able to somehow have more strength at the end. he is a cyborg.

4 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

clearly I am too old for instagram.

New to actually using it and find it incredibly user unfriendly.

https://www.instagram.com/sofianeshl/

I tried clicking on the face to find the story thing but it has all disappeared now, is his allegation post gone for good now?

Yes it's only up for 24 hours there is an additional manual step for the "story" posts to save it to a "highlights" folder for later viewing.