Poor Poor form Meerendal Wine Estate

Richard84

15 hours ago, capediver said:

Agree, it is never really clean but gets OK some days, I popped in to get wet on a road trip recently...

Lekker video, brings back lots of memories of early morning sessions there.

Think some okes need to chill a bit on trail access, conditions - too much aggro is a bad path to go down - localism/ entitlement sucks. 

I spent more than half my life hassling at the gat for waves where localism was taken to the extreme. No good thing came of localism.

Problem nowadays is there are just so many of us competing for the same bit of turf - if Meerendal doesn't float your boat, move on and be very thankful you have so many excellent other options within a stones throw. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Do you WC guys realise how insanely lucky your are with the quality of riding you have down there. 

Even your worst trails are better than the best we have access to in GP. 

Clearly not, we would rather do public rants about bad jokes on newsletters and shame wine farms who don't give us trails without berms.

20 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Do you WC guys realise how insanely lucky your are with the quality of riding you have down there. 

Even your worst trails are better than the best we have access to in GP. 

There is still some really good stuff up there!

23 hours ago, Furbz said:

any arms been snapped yet by the enforcers? 

Nah, thats Tokai. In Tygerberg they a civilized bunch, PK's only

On 10/7/2022 at 4:16 PM, Skubarra said:

Last time I was there for an after ride coffee (which is not recent) they did have locks you could use at the bike rack. Which is ok I guess but I prefer to have my bike in sight. And yes there are so many options in the area its just not worth the hassle.

I rode there during the week, no way to secure your bike to the three bike racks, i.e. no locks provided. Asked the guard, he just stared blankly back at me and shrugged his shoulders. 

See attached pictures of the  racks, not even within direct sight of the guard, especially when he's busy at the gate leading into the estate. IMG20221012102552.jpg.c82c40eac6c27cfc4731120fa360ff84.jpg

Edited by Wannabe

On 10/10/2022 at 3:56 PM, Steady Spin said:

Not arguing that but it just does not compare.

Perhaps you’re just not riding enough, or appreciate that comparing isn’t really a good barometer.

Ridden all over and taken visitors from all over on the trails upland. Everyone of them have been blown away and had a good time.

The region has some exceptional riding. And yes, we may not have the exceptional natural mountain scapes like some areas in the WC. We do have access to comparable bushveld experiences like van Gaalen and Buffelsdrift.  If we want mountains, the Berg is about 4 hours away, which is world class for outdoors.

Very very few places have the range of accessible riding.

But ja, given the right opportunity I’d still jump to WC quicker than a cheetahs fart.

19 hours ago, Wannabe said:

I rode there during the week, no way to secure your bike to the three bike racks, i.e. no locks provided. Asked the guard, he just stared blankly back at me and shrugged his shoulders. 

See attached pictures of the  racks, not even within direct sight of the guard, especially when he's busy at the gate leading into the estate. IMG20221012102552.jpg.c82c40eac6c27cfc4731120fa360ff84.jpg

I think a bike lock is something you need to bring yourself... No wonder you got a blank stare. 

25 minutes ago, Mohs said:

I think a bike lock is something you need to bring yourself... No wonder you got a blank stare. 

Do you go Mtb'ing with a lock that's sturdy enough to keep a potential "liberator of bicycles" busy for more than a few seconds? I certainly don't, neither do I want to.

Hence my decision to ride the trails (which I quite like when I am looking for a relaxed ride) and then go and buy my after ride coffee at a number of spots in Durbanville CBD. 

13 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

Do you go Mtb'ing with a lock that's sturdy enough to keep a potential "liberator of bicycles" busy for more than a few seconds? I certainly don't, neither do I want to.

Hence my decision to ride the trails (which I quite like when I am looking for a relaxed ride) and then go and buy my after ride coffee at a number of spots in Durbanville CBD. 

And even if you wanted to lug about an anchor weight ....

You would need to remove every item off your bike ....

I enjoy the Meerendal trails .... then go spend my money where I can see my bike.

Economics 101 .... vote with your wallet.   

Though the park runners bring a LOT more feet to Meerendal ....

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

I enjoy the Meerendal trails .... then go spend my money where I can see my bike.

Gotto agree with ChrisF,

Put your money where you feel respected for your patronage.

A few local spots in the Cape winelands pulled the Meerendal stunt, and it cost them ........

7 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Which farm on the network would you recommend for a coffee stop? Either post ride or even during. 

7 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

Which farm on the network would you recommend for a coffee stop? Either post ride or even during. 

Dairy shed at Contermanskloof - even has a play area if you want to take the family with.

Bloemendal.  Trail head has enough options, if you want to spoil your wife go to Bon Ami restaurant.

Doing a short loop I have stopped at the Mugg and Bean at the Palm Grove (same centre as Giant Durbanville).  Often find other cyclists here.

Longer rides I stop in Philladelphia, mostly at Pepper Tree.  But there are many options there

On 10/15/2022 at 6:04 PM, Wannabe said:

So what's the purpose of the bike rack in front of Bossa then?