Tygerberg MTB club newsletter - unacceptable

MORNE

1 minute ago, MORNE said:

EVEN THEN, I can guarantee you PnP wouldn't send out official comms letting customers know that they authorise "moerse PK's" (even IF tongue in cheek) if said brat should be caught in the act. You are till trying to justify it I think. 

Lets put the ball right back in the other court for that matter....It's obvious that some on here are STAUNCH supporters - which is fine. Again, nobody is personally attacking anyone.

But maybe people are letting their personal relationships with or their positions in the club perhaps cloud their reasonable judgment on what is considered the wrong to say and do things vs what is the right way to say and do things  - that promotes more "Goosfraba" overall -

(yes thats an anger managment movie reference lol)

Jip

Two distinct discussions ....

Patrick's choice of words .... club has already appologised on here

Deliberate damage to the trails .... the odd lock-up is part of the sport.  Roosting and dragging brakes through corners ......  not ayoba ...

okay, Teams almost done on the other screen :P .... time to get on the bike :thumbup:  Morne when we meet on the trail coffee is on me.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

okay, Teams almost done on the other screen :P .... time to get on the bike :thumbup:  Morne when we meet on the trail coffee is on me.

i might now be on some terrorist watch list for my treason i think hehe. If i go missing on the trails or get sick from sponsored coffee...please expect the worst. Also, not sure ill be allowed to renew my membership next year so ill do it on my wife's name 😅

(if there are lurkers on here...which i'm sure there are...italics mean 'tongue in cheek', i don't hate you, i just have a poephol and therefor an opinion)

Edited by MORNE

22 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

YES !!!  Do you want me to use my GoPro to tape the scoundrels ?   (then again, my GoPro is set to timelapse photos.  And the one time I did post a photo of persons deliberately ignoring trail boards I got told to mind my own business ....)

There ARE people that try and emulate YouTube videos and willfully slide their tyres into and through the turns.

It is SAD, but is truly is nothing more than "willful damage"

PLEASE NOTE - I am not talking about the rider that mis-judge their speed and does a short lock-up, then modulate the brakes.

Well then yes, thats exactly what needs to happen, photos, vids whatever is necessary. They need to be found and penalised in some way. a real world consequence that doesnt involve the people not involved.

No one here is gonna support people purposefully destroying trails. In my opinion it would be a very small minority doing this. But the way things are handled is not constructive at all. What has it achieved besides this thread , a bunch of peeps kicking the bus and possibly worse when someone takes it literally, gets on an authority high and ends up in a scuff out on the trails.

As for someone telling you to mind your own business when you are trying to uphold the rules, especially if they are riding a trail that is closed or they do not have permission to access then that sounds like a shitty apple that needs to be delt with in some way like being banned

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Hang on a minute - increase fees ?

The continuous annual increase in membership fees has already become automatic, apparently without consideration of why the club exists, member expectations, thoughtful communication.

Re the Newsletter,

rather that moaning about rain and drought and brakes, in unacceptable language;  I would rather see more contributions from other committee members on  subjects such as noted below - (and by the way, don't think you will get much by going to an AGM)

Give us all the latest on the trails, yes, - but also consider other subject and club intentions that members should know about :

Consider that (2021) - R240,000 given away as donations. (probably to a good cause right !)

But, I already have enough stop-orders and donations to various charities and needy charities and societies that I have chosen to support.

It drives me nuts when every Cycle/Mtb event entry, club membership PPA CSA etc etc continuously increases fees and then gives it to whatever charities they like. Yes, 240,000 is very little when divided by the number of members - ..so what.... I don't join clubs or events for charities. I have already chosen charities I want to support privately. I would like to pay for a club or event that gives me what I came for - and keeps costs and member-fee etc. down.

Some other interesting stats that could be covered in Newsletter :

Where does the money go ? example R 900,000 spent on salaries, R900,000 on trail maintenance -excluding R 50,000 vehicle cost, tools etc., Not sure how that is comprised - i.e what does trail maintenance include (also some of the salaries and wages ?)

R22,000 on meetings (and R 36,000 clubhouse rent - where is the clubhouse - on Bloemendal ? where (according to the newsletter) the trail building teams spend a lot of time. How have the benefits to the Bloemendal owners (increase in visitors, wine restaurant etc) been weighed into our interest and costs ?

R 220,000 on bank charges etc. (Bank balance R 3,5m and R 1,7 m accumulated surplus ) 

Tell us about these things - (an AGM is not run or designed, or comprehensive enough for members to get these insights)

yes, we want to hear about the trails - but there is so much more that drought and back brake moaning, that could be newsletter subjects.

I also like the (Warren and Mellisa) ? type video idea (i.e. these (W&M specifically) probably not everyone cup of tea, but a good start to shows more of our excellent trails)

ciao

ps. I sent the essence of issues above to TMBC

Agree on this, unless I cant read financial statements as an IT person, carrying a surplus of kr700 + per year for the last two years , now 1.6 M !! I don't see the necessity to increase the fees every year ? Yes keep a buffer, but at a point do something constructive with the money...
https://www.tygerbergmtb.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/2021-Annual-Financial-Statements.pdf

I'm not a member nor do I ride the trails so I have no horse in this race.

I do find it laughable though that the club has 1.6m in their account, but complains about the cost/effort of repairing trails.

Isn't that literally what a portion of the membership fees are for?

The closest analogy I can think of is a golf course threatening to PK members for destroying the fairways with divots. It's part of the game, intentional or not.

IMO the club must do their jobs and use the member's fees to fix the berms instead of threatening violence.

10 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I'm going to be doing cutties, flik flaks, rooster tails, slides, grinds and slides all weekend long now just to see if I'm even able to now that it's apparent this is a thing...

Note the sarcasm font mense...

Are those kinds of simba chips?

I honestly don't know what half those things are or if im accidentally doing some of them because i suck at mtb’ing. My ‘coward levers’ are very much used overtime at this stage😊

2 minutes ago, MORNE said:

I honestly don't know what half those things are or if im accidentally doing some of them because i suck at mtb’ing. My ‘coward levers’ are very much used overtime at this stage😊

Just a 2 second squirt of Q20 onto your brake disc and you are safe from Patrick ....

1 minute ago, MORNE said:

I guess they must be, cause I've been riding MTB for about 9 years now and I've only just mastered the art of not regularly falling off of it while jumping, all thanks to the Leatt Skills Park and it's ilk.

Okes REALLY need to go spend a Saturday there every so often. Skills increase guaranteed. At least mine improved markedly. And that's all thanks to @tygerbergmtb for pushing for such a facility to be available. 

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

Just a 2 second squirt of Q20 onto your brake disc and you are safe from Patrick ....

Took my bike in for a pivot bearing replacement and service. Just before the Jonkers Enduro. On the weekend prior as I start the descent of Red Phoenix I discover the discs are greased so bad there's no grip. Talk about poeding yourself... You have no idea how effective your suggestion is 🤣

I thought you CT okes were rustig and what not. 

Edited by Pieter1
Suppose the music video could offend some. It was Don't be *** By Satanic Dagga Orgy if anyone wants to watch it. PG 16 SNL

I read through this discussion, and one thing seems to have gone amiss: sense of humor....

I enjoyed Patrick's mails. They were informative, wacky, rude and blissfully hilarious!

Because of you bunch of politically correct citizens the club will have to do the 'right' thing and tell him to stop. Well done. You achieved something today. The world has gotten a bit more correct and a lot more boring. 

Patrick, keep up the good work. I miss your trails dearly!

On 10/10/2022 at 8:46 AM, Thermophage said:

Loool...no Tokai MTB doesn't complain....they just ban people from commenting on their b1tching about it if you recall DH1 rebuild for the first LH corner last time.

Builders had AMPLE opportunity to clad the corner in the multitude of rocks there...but didn't, then built the radius is such a way as to facilitate cuddying and proceeded to moan about it on SM.

Knowing Patrick he's definitely saying said line somewhat tongue in cheek...But again, if you build big flowwy corners with a k@k radius...don't expect people to not have fun.

Welcome to being a bike park, that's essentially what Hoogies is trying to be...it's either going to cost you money every year or you have two choices...Build things EXPECTING this (aka. many Canadian trails) o

We've been asking for years for slower, more tech trails with less berms...Cheaper to build, cheaper to maintain, better opportunity for up-skilling. Le sigh, the club committee as stated my ppl here and the Morondull thread recently don't give 2 poops about MTB, they're really only interested in gravel grinding so don't expect any of your requests to be taken seriously.

But, But, But,v what about those that pay R 200k for their steeds and need manicured trails to be able to ride and then are the biggest cash cows for the club.

Dont come here with you MTB logic.