Tour de France 2024

'Dale

22 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

In previous years Jumbo had 3 riders they could build a grand tour squad around, Steven Kruiswijk, Primoz Roglic, Tom Dumoulin before the emergence of Jonas in 2021. 
then they lost Steven and Tom and became focussed on Primoz and now Jonas. They have lost the depth and flexibility they once enjoyed. It’s now all in for Jonas which means they’ve morphed from bring Grand Tour protagonists to Tour De France focussed. 

this year they have had bad luck but also a lack of depth for the Tour and when that doesn’t work out it looks like a rotten year. If they had more wins in the classics they wouldn’t look back and say , “ bad year”.

the all in for the your approach is high stakes because more teams have got the formula right but one of those has Tadej Pogačar.

They can use the same strategy next year and gave the same risks, or revert to previous years structures and take the heat off themselves 

💯! Next year it’s rebuild the team. Maybe those bee outfits had an influence somehow? 🤭. But seriously, Jonas is riding solo, his had to be his own man. I reckon If he had someone to help ease the pain, those time gaps maybe would been a lot smaller who knows. Now we can see how much Sepp Kuss is missed.

Edited by betaboy
Spelling police visited my sentence

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rest day 2 personal reflections:

I remember how I felt after getting very hurt on the bike in early March which was a near-death experience:

Work has become a mere part of life, important as ever and not quite so central any more. I am fortunate to have a very meaningful, also tough and demanding, occupation. Yet, while aiming to uphold my highest performance standards - it all feels different now. 

I haven't yet been able to replace Eva, the matt black Cannondale Evo that was smashed up. Supply chains to Southern Africa have been a bit slow or broken. I am rustig, never really agitated and may get a replacement in September or November, depending on which local bike ship surprises me with an order. Yet, the anticipation of receiving a brand new stealth machine with cool electronic bits - it all feels different now.

This “difference” is why Jonas's journey is so remarkable to me - valuing life,  family, love, all soaked in gratitude and appreciation for all things Life, including his job.

He is defying the odds, kicking his demons in the teeth and going max effort all the way to the Nice time trial. You can bet on it that he is fully committed to winning the 2024 Tour de France and that "we will keep on fighting" as the team director has stated after two tough days in the Pyrenees.

Pic: @roleurimagesspacer.png

The annual rivalry with Tadej are taking on epic proportions. I heard on a podcast that they have now finished 1-2 at least 10 times, with both taking some victories in the duel, statistically a first. There’s obvious mutual respect as well as a clear separation from the rest of the best in the world.

Long may this remarkable rivalry last. To life! What a ride, what a tour.

💟

Edited by 'Dale

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

I remember how I felt after getting very hurt on the bike in early March which was a near-death experience.

Work has become a mere part of life, important as ever and not so central any more. I am fortunate to have a very meaningful, tough and demanding, occupation. Yet, while maintaining my highest performance standard, it all feels different now. 

I haven't yet been able to replace Eva, the matt black Cannondale Evo that was smashed up. Supply chains to Southern Africa have been a bit slow or broken. I am rustig, never really angotated and may get a replacmement in September or November, depending on which local bike ship surprises me with an order. Yet, the anticipation of receiving a brand new stealth machine with cool electronic bits - it all feels different now.

This “difference” is why Jonas's journey is so remarkable to me - valuing life,  family, love, all soaked in gratitude and appreciation for all things Life, including his job.
He is defying the odds, kicking his demons in the teeth and going max effort all the way to the Nice time trial.
You can bet on it that he is fully committed to winning the 2024 Tour de France and that "we will keep on fighting" as the team director has stated after two tough days in the Pyrenees.

The annual rivalry with Tadej are taking on epic proportions. I heard on a podcast that they have now finished 1-2 at least 10 times, with both taking some victories in the duel, statistically a first. There’s obvious mutual respect as well as a clear separation from the rest of the best in the world.

Long may this remarkable rivalry last. To life! What a ride.

In 20 years' time Jonas might look back at this second place(assuming that's where it ends) as a greatest ever performance. 

I've also had a big accident and the return to normal stuff like walking properly was unreal. It's an incredible comeback, and the level he can be it despite the training deficit is scary exciting for the 2025 rematch. 

11 hours ago, 'Dale said:

I remember how I felt after getting very hurt on the bike in early March which was a near-death experience:

Work has become a mere part of life, important as ever and not quite so central any more. I am fortunate to have a very meaningful, also tough and demanding, occupation. Yet, while aiming to uphold my highest performance standards , it all feels different now. 

I haven't yet been able to replace Eva, the matt black Cannondale Evo that was smashed up. Supply chains to Southern Africa have been a bit slow or broken. I am rustig, never really agitated and may get a replacement in September or November, depending on which local bike ship surprises me with an order. Yet, the anticipation of receiving a brand new stealth machine with cool electronic bits - it all feels different now.

He is defying the odds, kicking his demons in the teeth and going max effort all the way to the Nice time trial. You can bet on it that he is fully committed to winning the 2024 Tour de France and that "we will keep on fighting" as the team director has stated after two tough days in the Pyrenees.

Long may this remarkable rivalry last. To life! What a ride, what a tour.

💟

@'Dale - thanks for raising this awareness... there are more important things. It's good to just stop sometimes and reflect on what's important. To see this happening unfold in mainstream media is good. Jonas' vulnerability on show in an environment where being super-tough wins the day is an important thing I can learn from.

16 hours ago, splat said:

Happens so often!
I drop the resolution, but that doesn't help
Control F5 sometimes works
Sometimes go back and launch again
Eventually get really cross and give up. Fuming!

I find clicking pause and then going "back to live" works pretty much all the time.

23 hours ago, Spinnaroonie said:

You have to love the irony of something this unreliable, reliably breaking right at the peak moments of a race/fight/game. 

If I was paying a grand a month to have the same issues as a Tiz stream I'd be fuming...

So of the people having issues with the DStv app, what device is this on?

Laptop, Android box, Apple TV, the Smart TV. 

9 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I'm on a windows PC - only does it on the cycling stream - the tennis is perfect as is anything else on DSTV - only happens on the cycling. 

11 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Happens on Smart TV. IT happens with all live events, Rugby, UFC and cycling. Nothing wrong with the TV or Fibre. Runs Netflix without any issues. It must be a App problem for DSTV. 

It has been discussed previously that the app is a crapp one, and that the cache needs to be cleared; at least for a device like the MiBox (low processing power.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

laptop

Watching TdF dstv streaming from my MacBook Pro Safari browser. The regular advertisements the dstv streaming (dis)service throw in all the time seems to cause the stream to freeze most times which forces you to refresh the webpage 🥴

Edited by nathrix

33 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Yawn.

Can anyone organize us some crosswinds or something?

Solid headwind for me 😁

image.jpeg.c28e1239d2430e94562e36969f92bcf0.jpeg