'Dale

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 remarks in the build-up to the biggest annual sporting event on Mother Earth:

1. Stage 4 vs Jonas

The first high mountain test comes early. Is this the stage, including the high altitude Col du Galibier where the mighty Dane 'may not win the Tour, but he could lose it'. There is an argument to be made that he may be vulnerable and off form until about stage 9 due to his injuries and shortened runway in preparation.

The 'Galibier was my highest elevation ever on a bike when I was touring through the south east corner of FranceLand a few years ago. I definitely felt weak in the legs and lungs being so close to the moon.

2. 'Look Mum, no glasses.'

Victor Campanaerts is wrapping up a 9 week high altitude training camp. It is remarkable how structured and science-driven these professional athletes organise their lifestyles. Being a pro looks sexy from the outside; the reality is entirely different - high highs, low lows and tons of hours of behind-the-scenes commitment.

Like many, he is a superstitious athlete and shared in an interview recently that "I do not wear glasses because everyone else wears glasses." I imagine him being one of the breakaway artists, alongside the Irish national champ in Ben Healy and others. VC is rumoured to move over to the team on Cervélos in 2025.

3. Sir Mark Simon Cavendish KBE

Now knighted by mom Charles, can the 39 year old sprint warrior reach the record milestone of 35 Tour de France wins? He is touted as the best sprinter in the world. Some would say it is not just about stats. However, being the most successful stage winner in the history of the Tour de France would certainly tip the debate in his favour.

Knighthood could be the extra 17 watts that could earn him #35. Jasper Philipsen (and super lead out rider MVDP) is probably his biggest obstacle in this challenge.

4. The gogga

Lidl'-Trek's Tao is out due to a fractured rib after a crash at the Dauphine and testing positive for Covid-19 after 5 consecutive days of testing. Will the gogga have an impact on the peloton's lap around France? I imagine teams will take all the necessary health precautions.

5. Not Paris, but Nice. 

My my my - how juicy will the time trial from Monaco to Nice be as a thrilling finalé and final stage. Who can ever forget the absolute perfect TT performance in against the clock by the maillot jaune in 2023? The question begs whether it will be a close race for yellow. 

spacer.png

…anyone see the TdF annual publication in the shops, yet? Recovering from an op, so not been in the shops much, and i like to read THIS publication every year, a week before Day 1…

thanks!
Chris 

23 hours ago, SwissVan said:

Personally I find Froome’s apparent demise as GC contender rather sad, not a nice way to exit the main stage.

LMAO @ commentators and armchair critics who have yet to podium at Benoni world champs.

Chris needs an ego check. When you no longer relative to your performances, it’s time to bow out gracefully. He hasn’t Accepted it. Let’s see what he can do in Spain… I hope his saddle position is perfect. 😜

3 hours ago, Zebra said:

…anyone see the TdF annual publication in the shops, yet? Recovering from an op, so not been in the shops much, and i like to read THIS publication every year, a week before Day 1…

thanks!
Chris 

Yes got mine last week at PNA in Oudtshoorn 

Looking forward to Stage 9! 👀😎. Let the chaos begin… a little dust never killed anyone!😜

On 6/21/2024 at 8:16 PM, SwissVan said:

LMAO @ commentators and armchair critics who have yet to podium at Benoni world champs.

Such a weird take, don't have to podium at the Boksburg Crit National to have some discernment. 

14 hours ago, betaboy said:

Chris needs an ego check. When you no longer relative to your performances, it’s time to bow out gracefully. He hasn’t Accepted it. Let’s see what he can do in Spain… I hope his saddle position is perfect. 😜

Ego check?

“Bow out gracefully”  it would be interesting to know how this would be possible and under what conditions with his existing contract. Unfortunately we can only speculate unless someone with genuine inside information comes forward.

Those who have yet to play the Fantasy League, here is a link:

EDIT: Link removed, I maxed out my Credits for referrals. Someone else can log in and use the referral link generator to get some game credits...

Edited by Vetplant
Someone else can score some credits

Looking at the stage profiles, there could be a good chance that GC is already panned out by end of stage 4?

5 minutes ago, Ispeed_V said:

Looking at the stage profiles, there could be a good chance that GC is already panned out by end of stage 4?

How so?

1 x Classics stage, 2 x flat stages and the Galibert with everyone on fresh legs?

I reckong stage 7 ITT and then all the way to stage 11before we see any sort of big duel, then 14, 15 will split the pack.

The grand finale of 19, 20 and the last day ITT 'should' be absolutely radical

There are a lot of pretty flat stages early on.... It couldn't be set up better for Cav to win another........

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

There are a lot of pretty flat stages early on.... It couldn't be set up better for Cav to win another........

Does he have a ticket?

Where we streaming from, still nothing on staylive . Giro Woman is next on staylive 7 July