'Dale

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Girmay seems a good bet

Almost but to be fair, no1 was getting close to Jasper Disaster on this one.

15 hours ago, lechatnoir said:

you saw all the replays? you can come back and comment here when you have...

Philipsen was going straight, saw the barriers bending in from the right and didn't figure Bini would be trying to sneak up. It really didn't look intentional (like it did last time)

I think Bini would have waved his hands at least once  if he thought he'd been hard done by...

From the various slow-mo angles it looks like Girmay got himself boxed and made a number of desperate attempts to elbow/shoulder riders both left and right out of the way.

Can't say that Casper did anything wrong ............. well, on this occasion ;)

Let’s call today’s stage “The Leg Sapper” - 211 kms of narrow twist roads covering 4,300 m of vert. It’s a day designed for ambitious breakaway artists like Ben Healy or Tom Pidcock.

There is likely to be GC action over the last hour as the terrain is more suited to Pogačar and Evenepoel than the 57 kg pure climber in Vingegaard. The Dane will need all his lieutenants around him to close any gaps.

Aleksandr Vlasov took this pic of his bike after crashing into a ditch on Sunday and, unfortunately, had to withdraw from the race because of a broken ankle. This is unfortunate news for Red Bull - Bora Hansgrohe and Roglič as Vlasov is an important domestique for the mountainous week 3.

IMG_8189.jpeg

16 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

i doubt JB would get caught out by amateur mistake like relying on strava app measured data🤣

That's exactly what he did*, which is why I queried the validity of it when it was brought in here. but hey, it's all about clicks and here we all talking about it.

"I went on Strava and did some digging. First thing I saw was Matteo Jorgenson," Bruyneel refers to the rider from Visma | Lease a Bike. "He's a big guy and as a co-leader, he also has to do some work for Jonas Vingegaard when needed. Looking at his Strava file, you can see he burned more than three thousand calories. He's naturally big, but riding with Jonas in the wind also means he's taking on quite a bit of wind."

"Next, I looked up Tadej Pogacar," Bruyneel continues, noting the Slovenian had only burned 1781 (!) calories. "That shows how good he is and how easily he moves through the peloton. He uses very little energy and therefore rides very efficiently."

*I haven't actually listened to uniballer's podcast, just quoting what i read online.

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

Maybe Jasper will leave some space for Bini now that he's won a stage 🤔 

we get it, you watched the netflix documentary 

I wonder if the top riders will let Derek "GeeCee" get too far down the road today. It seems like his sort of stage. He's not a true threat to the podium I don't think (happy to be proven wrong), but he's also only 4 minutes off the pace. I can't see Visma and UAE being too worried about him, but teams like Ineos, Soudal and Red Bull have a bit more to lose if he moves up a few more places.  

1 minute ago, NickGM said:

I wonder if the top riders will let Derek "GeeCee" get too far down the road today. It seems like his sort of stage. He's not a true threat to the podium I don't think (happy to be proven wrong), but he's also only 4 minutes off the pace. I can't see Visma and UAE being too worried about him, but teams like Ineos, Soudal and Red Bull have a bit more to lose if he moves up a few more places.  

looking at my fantasy picks, I don't really think anyone higher than 20th will be allowed rope to go more than 3min up the road. UAE + JV+ QS have the firepower to reel anyone in, it's one thing pg protecting yellow but the other teams like their podium slots too.

That goes down to Ben Healy at 7:15.

some heavy hitters (if not just recently) further down the GC rankings, all 15mins plus out

SYates, Pid, Maincheese, Carapaz, Kelderman, Bardet, Barguil, Gaudu,

even someone like Lutsenko was TDF GC top10 a few years agois an hour back.

if EF+Jayco+Astana+DSM get smart they could put thse guys far enough up the road to take it from the break.

I've got a feeling we're going to see UAT & Pogi light it up in a big way today. I suspect he's going to try build up a buffer of time just in case Visma to try stick minutes into him on one big stage. This stage is more suited to his explosive style of riding. Actually it's suited to Remco as well... damn, I can't wait, please let it be the fireworks we expect 😄🤙

54 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

That's exactly what he did*, which is why I queried the validity of it when it was brought in here. but hey, it's all about clicks and here we all talking about it.

*I haven't actually listened to uniballer's podcast, just quoting what i read online.

Strava uploads come from whichever bike computer they use. “Strava files” is a euphemism since it’s a common platform that riders use to make some data available. I doubt the riders are trekking around with a phone in the back pocket running the Strava app. This isn’t the fun ride world champs although yesterday did come close.

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

Let’s call today’s stage “The Leg Sapper” - 211 kms of narrow twist roads covering 4,300 m of vert. It’s a day designed for ambitious breakaway artists like Ben Healy or Tom Pidcock.

There is likely to be GC action over the last hour as the terrain is more suited to Pogačar and Evenepoel than the 57 kg pure climber in Vingegaard. The Dane will need all his lieutenants around him to close any gaps.

Aleksandr Vlasov took this pic of his bike after crashing into a ditch on Sunday and, unfortunately, had to withdraw from the race because of a broken ankle. This is unfortunate news for Red Bull - Bora Hansgrohe and Roglič as Vlasov is an important domestique for the mountainous week 3.

IMG_8189.jpeg

I know he got back onto another bike - did he finish the stage on a broken ankle?!

16 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

I've got a feeling we're going to see UAT & Pogi light it up in a big way today. I suspect he's going to try build up a buffer of time just in case Visma to try stick minutes into him on one big stage. This stage is more suited to his explosive style of riding. Actually it's suited to Remco as well... damn, I can't wait, please let it be the fireworks we expect 😄🤙

The Cat 1 climb (pas de peyrol) has a plateau and a dip halfway up so would be very interesting to see if they attack before or after this. If UAE set a really hard pace up the climb, then riders that are still with them might get the chance to recover a bit halfway up, negating the some of the hard work. No idea how it will play out, very exciting stage.

10 minutes ago, NickGM said:

The Cat 1 climb (pas de peyrol) has a plateau and a dip halfway up so would be very interesting to see if they attack before or after this. If UAE set a really hard pace up the climb, then riders that are still with them might get the chance to recover a bit halfway up, negating the some of the hard work. No idea how it will play out, very exciting stage.

Is that not the section between the Cat2 Neronne summit and the base of the Cat1 Peyrol climb?

Neronne is steep, 9.1%

If I were planning this for UAE it would be to explode up Neronne to try to isolate Vingo, then further thin the group up Peyrol and attack HARD on the descent into Saint Julien

But I'm hella John Snow about these thing