All bikeracks in SA frame fixed?

jpvdwal

Hi

Why dont we have bikeracks in SA that only use the tyres too secure the bikes when transporting?

All seems too use the frame not like some like in the US.

Am I the only one that wants too keep my frame scratch free?

3 minutes ago, jpvdwal said:

Hi

Why dont we have bikeracks in SA that only use the tyres too secure the bikes when transporting?

Because nobody imports them. 

May also be that the US models sit on a tow hitch receiver and not a tow ball like ours. 

Ps… if the arms on your rack scratches your bike then something is wrong. Never had a bike scratch from a rack. 

Hanging racks I can’t comment on. They are pretty janky contraptions. 

Edited by Steady Spin

6 hours ago, jpvdwal said:

Hi

Yes for some reason we dont have any racks in SA except the Thule mentioned. (which is roof mounted) 

Im currently working on my own design that will be similar to the 1 Up USA. If you interested, message me and I'll keep you posted. 

9 hours ago, Matchstix said:

saw this in Canada recently

very neat. .  a bit wobbly during transport. but they are everywhere so have to be good.

https://www.1up-usa.com/

It’s an inherent design flaw with anything that uses compression against an air filled tyre to secure a bike imo. There is so much room for movement. What happens when the wheels are deflated while on the rack?

So as im sure you know the Thule platform racks have straps for the wheels to anker them down onto the base, as well as frame fixing clamps/points.

A while ago we did a day on the bikes, loaded them up and drove home. When i stopped at home and started to unload, the one wheel was flat. Obviously a slow puncture i picked up during the day…so the one wheel strap was basically not doing anything in terms of fixing the bike in place anymore.
Admittedly this is only really a possibility on mtb tyres and up since a flat 2.5/2.6 mtb tyre immediately creates 65mm ish of wiggle room. 

It didn't matter though since the bike was secured at the frame too and another wheel. 

Just something more to consider imo.

Edited by MORNE

9 hours ago, jpvdwal said:

Hi

This is what I use: https://www.seasucker.com/

Small plastic frame with suction cups that I leave in the boot. Super handy.

Can't believe they aren't more prevalent.

3 minutes ago, M L said:

This is what I use: https://www.seasucker.com/

Small plastic frame with suction cups that I leave in the boot. Super handy.

Can't believe they aren't more prevalent.

I read in a review that there is a reason they are always showed on supercars or other luxury vehicles haha, because plebs like us couldn't care less about washing a car more than once a month and that these do need a clean surface to work properly.

39 minutes ago, MORNE said:

I read in a review that there is a reason they are always showed on supercars or other luxury vehicles haha, because plebs like us couldn't care less about washing a car more than once a month and that these do need a clean surface to work properly.

and they're rather pricey for what they are

10 hours ago, jpvdwal said:

Hi

Which bikerack is scratching your frame?

Try putting a microfibre cloth around your frame, and then clamping.

I now permanently cary my thule easy fold in the boot 

arm has never scratched any frame , i also don't tighten it to just under where it will crush my frame 

for long drives i also u lock the seatstay to the frame of the rack and that helps a little (u lock is silicon coated )

2 hours ago, BaGearA said:

I now permanently cary my thule easy fold in the boot 

arm has never scratched any frame , i also don't tighten it to just under where it will crush my frame 

for long drives i also u lock the seatstay to the frame of the rack and that helps a little (u lock is silicon coated )

They are great, i can go ride all over from home and when I bonk or just don't feel like grinding home after one to many beers at Conties,  it’s easy enough for my wife to gooi it in the boot and come pick me up haha

14 hours ago, jpvdwal said:

Hi

Thule Upride

Yakima Highroad

Both will cost you a kidney, but will do what you want.

13 hours ago, MORNE said:

It’s an inherent design flaw with anything that uses compression against an air filled tyre to secure a bike imo. There is so much room for movement. What happens when the wheels are deflated while on the rack?

So as im sure you know the Thule platform racks have straps for the wheels to anker them down onto the base, as well as frame fixing clamps/points.

A while ago we did a day on the bikes, loaded them up and drove home. When i stopped at home and started to unload, the one wheel was flat. Obviously a slow puncture i picked up during the day…so the one wheel strap was basically not doing anything in terms of fixing the bike in place anymore.
Admittedly this is only really a possibility on mtb tyres and up since a flat 2.5/2.6 mtb tyre immediately creates 65mm ish of wiggle room. 

It didn't matter though since the bike was secured at the frame too and another wheel. 

Just something more to consider imo.

Thats a fair point, Ive also had to load a bike onto a Thule with a flat tire, no issue. But could be problematic on something like the 1 Up