2022 Virgin Active Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

I have zero issues with drafting someone to my goal time, isn't that the whole point of cycling in large groups?

But yes, I don't see it becoming a thing in cycling - think finish times are much more weather & conditions dependent than for running, and the majority of people in the bunch wouldn't care about the same time goal.

As we all know, it's called bunch riding. 

Many wheelsuckers in every race and every bunch, but a few honest riders will contribute to the pacing of the bunch...

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, madmarc said:

Watching the Comrades this year it was very cool to see those pace groups coming into the finish and how well managed the pacers kept the timing - Was wondering when this will become a thing in cycle races. 

The difference between runners and cyclists, is that the runners stay with the pacemaker until they've crossed the line; no jumping out the group and racing for 1245th position. If cyclists adopted the same attitude, there would be large groups of cyclists riding as a bunch. I guess the ABC groups are very serious about their time.

2 hours ago, Underachiever said:

As we all know, it's called bunch riding. 

Many wheelsuckers in every race and every bunch, but a few honest riders will contribute to the pacing of the bunch...

How often even when there are break-aways peeps would patiently wheelsuck in the dropped group and then still do a heroic sprint finish to beat their fellow dropped riders from Z bunch... 😂

That said imo if you are one of the stronger riders in the group and wheelsuckers annoy you its up to you to make certain there are as few as possible of them around by the time you get to the finish line, very rare that there would be no opportunities to break-away in a race like this.

For me this year, it will be a case of 'lets see how  the day pans out'

I generally prefer riding my own race and will let the racing snakes do there thing.

2 hours ago, FondTF2 said:

Is it too early to start calling on the weather pundits to make their predictions?

It will either be very hot and sunny, or cool and rainy, or something in between 😎

Normal weather in the week leading up to the race is wet and chilly, possibly early morning rain on the day but hot from sunrise getting scorching by mid day. 
breeze blowing south/south west

22 hours ago, Skubarra said:

How often even when there are break-aways peeps would patiently wheelsuck in the dropped group and then still do a heroic sprint finish to beat their fellow dropped riders from Z bunch... 😂

That said imo if you are one of the stronger riders in the group and wheelsuckers annoy you its up to you to make certain there are as few as possible of them around by the time you get to the finish line, very rare that there would be no opportunities to break-away in a race like this.

Exactly.  In a lekker crosswind it's called a gutter...  Normally takes one hard gutter to get rid of them.  Ride up front and don't get caught behind a dead/tired wheel!!

Hi all, is anyone else still struggling with the reseeding? I only received my start time yesterday, so 3 days after re-seeding officially closed. They put me in MM after I started B last year and finished 03:12 - I was aiming to get back to sub 3 this year. They reseeded me to J and I re-submitted, but since then they are quiet on WhatsApp and email. Anyone with a similar experience?

Us knobbly riders will keep you honest in J 😉

Bummer they're not keeping the query line open, but I guess with so many queries there's only so much you can do before keeping the head in the sand. 

You might be lucky if they have a query/info desk open when you collect your race pack. If they do, I'd suggest trying to be one of the first on collection day

Edited by 117

Just now, 117 said:

Us knobbly riders keep you honest in J 😉

Bummer they're not keeping the query line open, but I guess with so many queries there's only so much you can do before keeping the head in the sand. 

You might be lucky if they have a query/info desk open when you collect your race pack. If they do, I'd suggest trying to be one of the first on collection day

Or he can pace us nicely in the J group to a good time .... 🤪😂

46 minutes ago, gerrit_c said:

Hi all, is anyone else still struggling with the reseeding? I only received my start time yesterday, so 3 days after re-seeding officially closed. They put me in MM after I started B last year and finished 03:12 - I was aiming to get back to sub 3 this year. They reseeded me to J and I re-submitted, but since then they are quiet on WhatsApp and email. Anyone with a similar experience?

I have friends in F and G that did times ranging from 2:51 - 2:55. A 3:12 last year would logically place you in H, I or J.

I still think the groups will be smaller, which is why we are seeded later than before.