News bot

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

i sommee draw a picture of how crap the route is for the no oceans half

whereas here is the ultra, which they subjectively themselves call "the world's most beautiful marathon". Which is weird, because it's an ultra marathon and that should be the USP

guess what. a moerse amount of people do the 21km "oceans" on easter saturday (well not anymore)

Most beautiful is subjective, UTCT has as good if not better views of the same areas. A bit of a stretch( like apple marketers)

n Moerse amount of people also do park runs every Saturday morning- why? Because they are there...

4 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Get more peoples off their chronic couch lifestyles and bikes and on two wheels, lekka lekka

C18C3161-AFBB-42EC-ACB9-8860DFA305FF.jpeg

Why did you have to edit your post as I was about to be a smart @ss and inform you it is not priceless, but rather costs R320. 

4 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Agreed.

I said it in an earlier post too, the 2 oceans half is probably one of the least attractive half marathons in the Western Cape. It IS however, tied to a prestigious event, with existing infrastructure, timing, marketability and support. 

Anyway, those who want to stand on some sort of pedestal about long vs short because THEY/Their Gran/Their son etc did it, are welcome to do so.

Opinions are like Pro Nouns... everyone has one, some just don't make sense to others

My comment in the other thread about my dad doing the longer route was more as a response to someone saying something about a lot of people not being able to do the long event. I don’t have the gift to put words down to eloquently express what I’m trying to say but let me try. 
there is obviously a market for the short route, it might even mean the whole family can ride a race that weekend and therefore justify the cost to travel to CPT. That’s awesome  

But instead of saying you can’t ride the long route rather say you don’t want to ride that distance. There is a difference. 

and if the shorter route can boost the CTCT so that it doesn’t fizzle out soon then go for it. 

I would have preferred a different route to introduce people to the race, but I guess logistically this makes the most sense. 

I think it would have been nicer if they dropped the age limit a bit. 

Also, spread the event over 2 days, as the original cycle tour was to raise awareness for cycling, it has not really expanded since then. Should be a whole weekend or week event with different roads being closed throughout the week to think bike etc or test which roads would work for cycle lanes etc.

Can easily close a cycle lane of space all the way to suikers and back with out too many drivers tears.

3 hours ago, Shebeen said:

i sommee draw a picture of how crap the route is for the no oceans half

Capture_Half.png

whereas here is the ultra, which they subjectively themselves call "the world's most beautiful marathon". Which is weird, because it's an ultra marathon and that should be the USP

Capture-Ultra.png

guess what. a moerse amount of people do the 21km "oceans" on easter saturday (well not anymore)

Two-Oceans-Half-Marathon-Training-Programme_.png

hectic.......

no single file in sight.....cretins

Edited by DieselnDust

I want to see if the short version counts towards the total number of Cycle Tours completed.

Only reason it's of interest to me is because if you do the Elite Ladies race then it doesn't count. 😖 In essence you could win the Cycle Tour but then if you check your stats you haven't completed one 😂

From what I saw at Ride joburg, picking up stragglers at the back, who did not see the end, I too agree, that they would have been better suited for the short route.

However, we have some measure of free will, and if you want to try your hand at the long ride, and not make it, so be it. Chances of returning the following year I would say is 50/50, depending on how motivated an individual is. 

The short route option is great to get more peeps to ride, some will hopeflly experience it as a gateway drug to advance to hopefully bigger things. My first MTB event was the spring classic, and I outright almost died on the trails, but it had me hooked. And albeit slowly, I built up to longer distances.

Not every person feels the need to be validated as a cyclist by the distance they ride or their ranking on a segment on the orange app.

Not that I am into roadie stuff much, or been on my bike much this year either, or even participated much on this site this year .......... BUT, this is a great way to allow new riders, younger riders and those older riders (Like @Meezo @Patchelicious and @Iwan Kemp) to get out and enjoy a group ride.

Some of these riders may start doing the longer route the following year when they are ready, or they just do the shorter one again ... either way they are out riding their bikes, so good on them.