The Swartberg 100 Gran Fondo becomes the first SA race to join The UCI 2023 Gravel World Series

News bot

South Africa’s premier gravel race, the Swartberg 100 Gran Fondo, has officially achieved Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) accreditation for the 2023 Gravel World Championship Series.   This historic achievement makes the Swartberg Gran Fondo South Africa’s first and only UCI accredited gravel race. Set to take place on 29 April 2023: the 171km gravel race, […]

View full article

2 hours ago, 'Dale said:

Hmmm, this news makes ma want to buy a grevvel machine. 🤔

I'm intrigued by your response. Why does a certification change the appeal of a race for you? It's the same race, just now wrapped in more red tape...

Not trying to troll, honestly interested.

1 hour ago, buckstopper said:

Especially the decent, on a grevel bike with 40's, 160 disc and no springs

That is an experience on its own.
Along with Rooiberg Pass 

7 hours ago, NC_lurker said:

I'm intrigued by your response. Why does a certification change the appeal of a race for you? It's the same race, just now wrapped in more red tape...

Not trying to troll, honestly interested.

It's a 'I am a proud South African' thing. Oh, and, of course, it's not the same race with this afforded status. 😎

Edited by 'Dale

7 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

It's a 'I am a proud South African' thing. Oh, and, of course, it's not the same race with this afforded status. 😎

Ok, now you're mystifying things for me even more! So you're not proud of SA "things" unless some European organisation says it's worthwhile?

I'm pretty sure that's not what you mean, you strike me as someone who embraces the beauty of SA.....hence my intrigue.

I'd suggest it becoming a UCI race is a negative for the average saffa rider. No doubt there's a cost involved which will be pushed onto the riders. 

NC_Lurker you come across as a reasonable guy, one who comes up with some cogent points. I always thought the moment the UCI got their grubby paws on gravel racing they'ed suck the joy out of it. I mean before long dodgy substance taking may be the norm, motorcades will be following, radios will be communicating information etc.

Yep, unlikely to work to the benefit of the fun rider. Bit like trickle down economics I fear, sounds good but...

7 hours ago, splat said:

That is an experience on its own.
Along with Rooiberg Pass 

Can't imagine doing that rooiberg pass on my checkpoint although I see the 36one allowing gravel bikes in 2023.... It'll be a better bike handler than I am that takes them up on that

21 hours ago, babse said:

Swartberg pass is amazingballs, UCI accredited or not...

Must. Go. Experience. It's been on the list for too many seasons now. Do I take my Scalpel or the grevvel bike that I must still buy? 

20 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Must. Go. Experience. It's been on the list for too many seasons now. Do I take my Scalpel or the grevvel bike that I must still buy? 

Haha so if you’re just going for the enjoyment factor of just riding the pass, I would suggest the MTB.

First time I did the pass I was on my gravel & I didn’t have the right gears and it was a struuuugle. Like when it dropped to 9-11% I got excited, it felt like it was flat 😂 and the downhill is a journey on a gravel. It’s rough!!!

For the actual race, gravel… but for enjoyment of just the pass, MTB!

Edited by Spookie
Clarity

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

Only ever done it once... Was pinning it on my Skaaapel during pioneer. Wouldn't have referred anything else.

The whole experience was proper. Actual climb, views, drastic change in temp from bottom to top. 

8 minutes ago, babse said:

Only ever done it once... Was pinning it on my Skaaapel during pioneer. Wouldn't have referred anything else.

The whole experience was proper. Actual climb, views, drastic change in temp from bottom to top. 

Okay you convinced me (did a much better job at it than for attakwas). Let's do it

Swartberg pass is rad. 

I've been lucky enough to do it on Freedom Challenge and from the other side during a few of the early iterations of the race in question.

Only once with gears though, the last GF100 I did a week after giving it beans at 2 oceans. I was grateful for them that day.

It is a really cool event, the section through Meiringspoort is also top notch, as well as the long gravel climb and subsequent tar rollers up towards the Cango Cave turn off. 

I'm a big fan but I'm not sure I will make it back any time soon unfortunately.