Mamil

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Next weekend it's Everesting 17-19 Feb

With respect, I wish they'd call it something else, like Skyreach, Total climb, Pain Gain to 8848m or something else

Its just not the same and shouldn't be compared to anything remotely as difficult

Unless a person has done Everest itself, I don't think we should get the privilege of doing another event and attributing this name association to it. We will never understand the difficulty involved, the sacrifices a person has to make, the pain and suffering, the joy, the heartache, the fear, the mental fatigue, the loss of friends and the post depression it takes to climb that mountain.  

I dont see the point of the naming association with the amount of elevation you intend to climb on a bicycle, its different when you're in the comfort of a bicycle seat and have all the convenience of safety and achievement at your finger tips (excuse the bad pun) 

Edited by 117

4 minutes ago, 117 said:

With respect, I wish they'd call it something else, like Skyreach, Total climb, Pain Gain to 8848m or something else

Its just not the same and shouldn't be compared to anything remotely as difficult

Unless a person has done Everest itself, I don't think we should get the privilege of doing another event and attributing this name association to it. We will never understand the difficulty involved, the sacrifices a person has to make, the pain and suffering, the joy, the heartache, the fear, the mental fatigue, the loss of friends and the post depression it takes to climb that mountain.  

I dont see the point of the naming association with the amount of elevation you intend to climb on a bicycle, its different when you're in the comfort of a bicycle seat and have all the convenience of safety and achievement at your finger tips (excuse the bad pun) 

I fully agree, I read up on the rules and decided to only attempt the half or quarter. My wife already told me that I am not allowed to spend 8 hours on the trainer 😜

5 minutes ago, 117 said:

With respect, I wish they'd call it something else, like Skyreach, Total climb, Pain Gain to 8854m or something else

I agree 110% with you. We should rather call it Olympussing or Olympus Monsing and make it an elevation of 21 900m seeing as nobody has climbed this mountain yet. Maybe Elon has...

Main events I am planning my year around

Karoo Burn in February

Swartberg Gran Fondo in April

A newish 3 day gravel race in Gansbaai in June (if it happens)

Desert Dash in December 

with some of the usual & smaller events inbetween.

2 hours ago, 117 said:

I look at it very differently, climbing Everest these days is a lame* thing to do. Probably the most vain thing possible for mankind (a very hard list to top) with an endless string of wealthy ego driven chops paying their way on the (figurative) backs of poor Sherpas.

but hey, if you are so attached to the name Everest, don't forget that the colonial surveyor who gives it his name never even climbed it himself, in fact he never even saw it.

And no, I haven't climbed Everest, nor have i even done a cycling one; but I know what I'm talking about as I shook Sir Ed's hand and even got a picture in the paper to prove it (true story!).

* I'm referring to the w@nkers who decide it's something they want to do as some sort of midlife crisis tickbox. The true alpinists who have a lifetime in the sport and guide them or do legit expeditions have my utmost respect. but they should be on Lhotse or K2 or other less tourist places really anyway. 

Edited by Shebeen

CTCT
Swartberg100
36One
The Gallows
Double Pot
The Ceder
Prince George
DC
maybe Stanford100

Should be a good year!

4 hours ago, Jbr said:

I'm doing something similar this summer (or winter if we speak SA time), 1 week off in the alps with Me, Myself and I !

YUP, me to.

The best riding ever

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

I look at it very differently, climbing Everest these days is a lame* thing to do. Probably the most vain thing possible for mankind (a very hard list to top) with an endless string of wealthy ego driven chops paying their way on the (figurative) backs of poor Sherpas.

but hey, if you are so attached to the name Everest, don't forget that the colonial surveyor who gives it his name never even climbed it himself, in fact he never even saw it.

And no, I haven't climbed Everest, nor have i even done a cycling one; but I know what I'm talking about as I shook Sir Ed's hand and even got a picture in the paper to prove it (true story!).

* I'm referring to the w@nkers who decide it's something they want to do as some sort of midlife crisis tickbox. The true alpinists who have a lifetime in the sport and guide them or do legit expeditions have my utmost respect. but they should be on Lhotse or K2 or other less tourist places really anyway. 

I'll try not tell my mrs over dinner tonight that her summit was done for a midlife crisis.

And when those Sherpa's (who's only form of income in life is to help you climb that mountain) desert you at c4 because they are also human and will put their survival ahead of yours, while you selfishly spend 36 hours more than needed in the dead zone to wait for your expedition leader to return (not a sherpa by the way) who is blind, frost bitten and lost off the rope between the summit and c4 in a storm, comfort him in his time of crisis, feed him, warm him up, treat his frost bite and make sure he survives the night, monitor his O2 supply, and wait for him to gain enough strength so you can get him down to c2 to be evacuated the next day. This, when you have just learnt that a dear friend and co-expedition member died about 2 hours prior to you getting back to c4.
And after all of that, you descend back to base camp, on your own, to realize how much of a w8nker you are for doing something so stupid, so idiotic, so draining, so immense that you break down in tears - not of joy of success, but of sorrow for what has just transpired

Is that really what mid-life crisis wealthy adrenalin junkie seeking people do? I can assure you it aint as rosey and golden as you think it is

Regardless of a persons wealth status in life, the ability and dedication required to climb that rock far outweighs the right to say you've 'Everested' on your bicycle or while climbing the stairs at the Westcliff

Keep that newspaper article, maybe one day it'll bring a sense of reasoning as to why people do those extreme climbs.  

Edit: besides, the route up to Lhotse these days is the same via c4 for everest. Perhaps then your point is mute for the hallowed ground of less tourist destinations

Edited by 117
Additional reply

36 minutes ago, 117 said:

I'll try not tell my mrs over dinner tonight that her summit was done for a midlife crisis.

And when those Sherpa's (who's only form of income in life is to help you climb that mountain) desert you at c4 because they are also human and will put their survival ahead of yours, while you selfishly spend 36 hours more than needed in the dead zone to wait for your expedition leader to return (not a sherpa by the way) who is blind, frost bitten and lost off the rope between the summit and c4 in a storm, comfort him in his time of crisis, feed him, warm him up, treat his frost bite and make sure he survives the night, monitor his O2 supply, and wait for him to gain enough strength so you can get him down to c2 to be evacuated the next day. This, when you have just learnt that a dear friend and co-expedition member died about 2 hours prior to you getting back to c4.
And after all of that, you descend back to base camp, on your own, to realize how much of a w8nker you are for doing something so stupid, so idiotic, so draining, so immense that you break down in tears - not of joy of success, but of sorrow for what has just transpired

Is that really what mid-life crisis wealthy adrenalin junkie seeking people do? I can assure you it aint as rosey and golden as you think it is

Regardless of a persons wealth status in life, the ability and dedication required to climb that rock far outweighs the right to say you've 'Everested' on your bicycle or while climbing the stairs at the Westcliff

Keep that newspaper article, maybe one day it'll bring a sense of reasoning as to why people do those extreme climbs.  

Edit: besides, the route up to Lhotse these days is the same via c4 for everest. Perhaps then your point is mute for the hallowed ground of less tourist destinations

Sounds wild. You should write a book about it.

I dont think she will. Its too personal

Back on topic though...

Mt Anderson
What ever else pops up on the radar