Best Tyre Combo - Noordhoek/Tokai/Silvermine

DDM Cape Town

Hi

I mostly ride Ou Wa Pad to Tokai Forest on a Cross Country 29er dual suspension. I will occasionally do Vasbyt and other “less extreme” snake trails. 

My tyres (came with bike) are now shot and I need to replace them. Any recommendations  from people who know the above routes on the best tyre combo? 

Thanks ;)

An absolute all scenarios covered set of tyres is the Vittoria Barzo on the front and Mezcal on the back. Depending on you inner dimension of your rim, and space on your frame and fork, the 2.35 are great. Alternatively, I am really enjoying the Pirelli’s at the moment, their XC Mixed on the front and the Hardpack on on the rear is a great combo. 

Also look at Maxxis cross country range, great side wall protection and no compromise when running lower pressures, hard wearing side knobs with great grip, wet or dry...choose your poison from Pace for low rolling resistance to Forecaster, built like a chainsaw!

Edit: Any colour as long as its black, no trendy tan sidewall I'm afraid!

Edited by capediver

21 hours ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

Opinions on tyres are worse than opinions on almost anything else, and you'll find incredibly divergent responses here. Most tyres out there are pretty good. Buy a few used and try them out till you figure out what works for you. 

This. 

Get something similar to what you replacing. Don't change anything drastically unless you want drastic change.

I'm on a set of Maxxis Aspen 2.4 (proven to be the most unreliable tyre) and do ride the mention area occasionally, but more Table Mountain, Newlands & signal hill. I've yet had a days issue and my technique and skillset is fairly questionable. 

🙃

On 1/5/2023 at 12:04 AM, DDM Cape Town said:

Hi

I mostly ride Ou Wa Pad to Tokai Forest on a Cross Country 29er dual suspension. I will occasionally do Vasbyt and other “less extreme” snake trails. 

My tyres (came with bike) are now shot and I need to replace them. Any recommendations  from people who know the above routes on the best tyre combo? 

Thanks ;)

In line with what Nico suggests, what are your current tyres and what do you think of them ?
Why not get the same, or are you looking for something different ?
Are they not grippy enough or do you find them heavy WRT to rolling resistance ?

Not sure what stock levels are like at the moment, but your choices might be limited to what the shop actually has on the shelves.
You could pop in at The Gear Change and The Uitsig Bike Park to pick their local knowledge brains.

I agree with the above sentiments.

I perennially 'over tire' my bikes as I occasionally like to let loose and shred some gnar.

I also like grip and traction more than I like rolling a bit faster.

Tire choices come down to your preferences and what you value while out riding.

My MTB is set up for trails and not for the tar/jeep track in between trails. 

That said, Maxxis Ikons are my xco tire of choice. 

22 hours ago, splat said:

In line with what Nico suggests, what are your current tyres and what do you think of them ?
Why not get the same, or are you looking for something different ?
Are they not grippy enough or do you find them heavy WRT to rolling resistance ?

Not sure what stock levels are like at the moment, but your choices might be limited to what the shop actually has on the shelves.
You could pop in at The Gear Change and The Uitsig Bike Park to pick their local knowledge brains.

I have a Schwalbe Nobby Nic on the front and a Bontrager XR3 on the back. The back is slipping out terribly. 

On 1/8/2023 at 12:24 PM, DDM Cape Town said:

I have a Schwalbe Nobby Nic on the front and a Bontrager XR3 on the back. The back is slipping out terribly. 

How are you finding the rolling resistance on the Nobby Nic? I put a pair on my bike and they look like they will be tough on XC which I have not done since putting them on.

On 1/5/2023 at 4:26 PM, Murrob said:

An absolute all scenarios covered set of tyres is the Vittoria Barzo on the front and Mezcal on the back. Depending on you inner dimension of your rim, and space on your frame and fork, the 2.35 are great. Alternatively, I am really enjoying the Pirelli’s at the moment, their XC Mixed on the front and the Hardpack on on the rear is a great combo. 

Look no further, excellent combo for our riding conditions.

In winter I go Barzo front and rear. Old Barzo go on the rear, new Barzo on the front.