Really, No Epic 2023 Thread?

BMCfan

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

QUESTION FROM A "FIRST TIME" TEAM -

"What pain meds may they use?"

Kindly provide a link to some sort of site or list that can guide the newbies through this ...

EDIT - for those that have done the Epic ... is there a "race doctor" that could assist them ?

Getting a new appreciation for the fun this little maze can be for the amateurs ....

True story which happened to me in the distant past…. Got food poisoning from what I suspect was a bad woolies sandwich Handed out at the finish of one stage, struggled the whole night and next stage with bad nausea, during the next stage I Stopped at one of the first aid tents and asked if they could give me a “quick drip” to quickly replace the lost fluids…. Answer was yes, BUT then your race is over. 

Granted a drip is not the same as pain pills (you know like most comrades non podium runners carry with them 😂), and I’m pretty sure lots of epic riders do the same….but the principal should be the same.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

True story which happened to me in the distant past…. Got food poisoning from what I suspect was a bad woolies sandwich Handed out at the finish of one stage, struggled the whole night and next stage with bad nausea, during the next stage I Stopped at one of the first aid tents and asked if they could give me a “quick drip” to quickly replace the lost fluids…. Answer was yes, BUT then your race is over. 

Granted a drip is not the same as pain pills (you know like most comrades non podium runners carry with them 😂), and I’m pretty sure lots of epic riders do the same….but the principal should be the same.

Those little red and green capsules helped me through a lot of Comrades Marathons from the 70km mark.😉

Edited by Lexx

My 2 cents worth whichever web development company did the Cape Epic website and its results search engine needs to be shot. Its a very amateur job and totally useless to search and track people on. Not sure what has happened but previous years were much better.

2 hours ago, Jbr said:

yeah, nothing wrong with what Spez did, they just played with their strenghts and weaknesses, but I do understand that 2 mins after a frustrating finish like this you can be a bit sour in the heat of the moment. Not going to use the D word here because we hear it 1000 times during every stage, but don't think there should be any hate towards any of the riders here.

Maybe some of SCR's frustration also comes from the fact that spez did no work when Scott was hanging by a thread, and it was in their common interest to create as early as possible a gap as big as possible to them to try and grind some time on GC ? Does the fact that they did not help shows that Spez's goal is more to win stages than try to recover GC ? (actual question)

Matt was nursing a flat tyre for 6km if they stopped they were out so they managed it best way possible. Whoever got onto the singletrack 1st Won. Spez knew this; they executed well. The route guide is available for everyone 

10 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Those little red and green capsules helped through a lot of Comrades Marathons from the 70km mark.😉

Which ones?

I think Myprodol have codeine in them, which is not WADA legal. But the generic MyPaid are legal.

I'm not a great one for pain meds. I prefer to grit my teeth and feel it over masking it, but I have found the best (less stomach issues and easier to manage hydration) for me has been Dicloflam 

They seem to be race legal.

6 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Which ones?

I think Myprodol have codeine in them, which is not WADA legal. But the generic MyPaid are legal.

I'm not a great one for pain meds. I prefer to grit my teeth and feel it over masking it, but I have found the best (less stomach issues and easier to manage hydration) for me has been Dicloflam 

Yes Myprodol. R10 and R21. Oops, I'm an illegal doper in Comrades.🤫  With prob 60% of the field. lol

4 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Which ones?

My guess is Myprodol.  They were for sure my friends many years ago when I did Comrades.

1 minute ago, The Ouzo said:

It sounds to me like the only way to complete a comrades is whilst stoned. :) 

True, either that or crazy.  I'm not crazy anymore so I stopped doing it .... 🤪😂

37 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

My 2 cents worth whichever web development company did the Cape Epic website and its results search engine needs to be shot. Its a very amateur job and totally useless to search and track people on. Not sure what has happened but previous years were much better.

Still easier than the Ironman tracker.  Even when tracking multiple teams.  Their notifications are brilliant !

That said, you do need to flip between screens to get the bigger picture .... so both can be improved ....

If I recall, not that much different to the Comrades tracker, though I did not do multiple tracking then.

11 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Still easier than the Ironman tracker.  Even when tracking multiple teams.  Their notifications are brilliant !

That said, you do need to flip between screens to get the bigger picture .... so both can be improved ....

If I recall, not that much different to the Comrades tracker, though I did not do multiple tracking then.

Yeah the app isnt too onerous its the tracker on the website that was written by a grade 8 kid doing a softwrae project

1 hour ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

I thought it was only my poor skills. I can't seem to come right with results . That also worked much better last year. I now wait for "It was another tough day but we did it" on Strava. 

Edited by Blokman