What's for lunch?

I am definitely not fueling correctly over lunch or before HIIT. I do my weekly HIIT in the afternoons at around 16h30. Most often than not I feel a bit depleted in the energy stores. Not tired as in sleep deprived or yawning. More like blood sugar might be running a bit low. I hope this makes sense in what I am trying to say.

I do not eat breakfast but do drink a glass of Nutribullet juice (apples\prunes\celery\pineapple) and drink 2 cups of coffee (2 x sugar + milk) in the morning. Around 11:30 I'll have lunch, or is it still brunch. This ranges from chicken breasts and salad, Beef strips with wild rice and veg, avo toasties, ravioli, lentil soup or 'kook kos'.

So what is for lunch in the life of the afternoon HIIT Hubber? What have you found works better for you and what not. Do you take any supplements or gels before training? 

I must just add that come Saturday morning rides I do not have any issues with low energy or such. I mostly ride just on water as well. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest learning I have had in the last couple of years talking to riders and nutritional folk is fuelling for every single ride you do. Both before it and during it.

I interviewed a few pros for a nutrition story a while back.... even recovery rides, Zone1/2, they eat properly a few hours before, and head out with 40-60g carbs an hour, unless it is a specifically fasted ride (which seems to be, thankfully, going out of fashion again). If you are doing intervals/HIIT/efforts, train with what you will be racing on, my guess is your sluggishness is part time of day -  afternoon is famous for energy slumps -  and 11h30 is far too far away to fuel your session.  You can't expect your body to get stronger/fitter without fuel.

You might not think you have issues on your Saturday ride, but what if that isn't even close to your potential, and you are missing out by not making sure you take in the carbs or whatever you would use in a race. 

The old days of a bottle of water and an emergency pie on the way home are gone, thankfully. 

Edited by Tim Brink

Lunch by 11:30? You eat way too little IMO. Part from the stretch between 11:30 - 16:00 you also have quite a while between your nutri-bullet and lunch. Eat like a horse - frequently and little bits at a time, nuts, a portion of fruit, a sandwich stuff like that and then push the lunch to later in the afternoon 

A heavily tattoo'd ginger ex gun maker is shaking his wahooligan fists at you all and your advice!

He can ride at 400 watts average for 4 hours on water! Ask him how to find the keeto way.... You too can ride in a water fuelled 1 man worlfpack (plus photographer), think Cape Point is the southern tip of africa and only wear black.... The keeto way.... 

Hmmm your nutrition is defintiely sus, surprised that you aren't bogging or feeling it on a Saturday. 

2 hours ago, edgarblount said:

I am definitely not fueling correctly over lunch or before HIIT. I do my weekly HIIT in the afternoons at around 16h30. Most often than not I feel a bit depleted in the energy stores. Not tired as in sleep deprived or yawning. More like blood sugar might be running a bit low. I hope this makes sense in what I am trying to say.

I do not eat breakfast but do drink a glass of Nutribullet juice (apples\prunes\celery\pineapple) and drink 2 cups of coffee (2 x sugar + milk) in the morning. Around 11:30 I'll have lunch, or is it still brunch. This ranges from chicken breasts and salad, Beef strips with wild rice and veg, avo toasties, ravioli, lentil soup or 'kook kos'.

So what is for lunch in the life of the afternoon HIIT Hubber? What have you found works better for you and what not. Do you take any supplements or gels before training? 

I must just add that come Saturday morning rides I do not have any issues with low energy or such. I mostly ride just on water as well. 

So Recently I went to see a dietician. She Moved Me To Greens And REds and meat. Lunch white supper rwd or vice versa. but never mix them in one meal. No  sugar, no coke. etc. I Muat earth 3 times a day plus a snack 2 times( a fruit.) I feel Im eating more. But not rubbish. amd I have. manna tech during rides as drink. and 1 banana per hour. different things work for different people. I would seek a professional to help. because some foods don't work for some people and some foods do. like cheese is a no no for me. messes up my sinus. and this I'm turn affects my body because it's fighting the sinus. a healthy body language s a happy  body a happy body does better 

Go and see a dietician who will design a well balanced meal plan in line with your exercise needs as well as your general health. Definitely sounds like you're under fuelled. I too sometimes experience and energy dip in the late afternoon and have had to increase my calorie intake over lunch, 

I too do my training late afternoon / early evening. 

My 2c is as follows. Diet is important but knowing what works best (for you) is more important. I can get by with or without food. I only drink water in my day to day living, and I eat lots of bananas and dates throughout the day. The aim is to prevent the slump. I used to race and train whilst fasting when I still lived in Cpt more than 11 years ago. Since leaving for Jhb, I ventured into running. As I am still currently fasting, I have done a lot more this month than any Ramadhan in previous years. I am 45 currently and getting stronger as the years tick by. I have done a few short runs of 5/10k at any time of the day or night, and then also did 5 x 21k whilst fasting. So not a fasted session but still actively fasting for the rest of the day. I hope to do 1 more 21k tomorrow at a speed that lasts for about 1h40m. No side effects at all. I hope that you find your solution that works best for your training.

As mentioned already, you aren't eating even close to enough to fuel your bodies requirements, it's as simple as that. Look at eating a breakfast as a starting point, plain oats with a teaspoon of peanut butter and cinnamon powder or 2 x Wheetbix with milk and water is a good start (stay off the sugar). Consider having 2 x boiled eggs and a banana about an hour before your ride. Keep the nutribullet shake and add a protein shake after your workout.

Your body will thank you.

I've been seeing a sports dietician since Jan. My main takeaway was that I was eating too little food and the wrong types of food at incorrect times of day. I'm now eating 5 meals a day, a whole lot more food, dropped 12kg and feeling great on the bike. Consider seeking some advice, it's worth it.

Very very valuable information provided by you guys! Thank you so much. A lot to ponder over and see what works for me.

Edited by edgarblount

16 hours ago, edgarblount said:

As mentioned - rather get a professional to assist, even consider blood tests to establish and understand your 'metabolic' health baseline?  Do not copy what works for someone else as there is no insight and context wrt to the bigger picture. (Eg what is mentioned here is def NOT working for me at all, we all have different requirements and responses to food / training etc).  Trail and error experimenting can be fine - up to a point though.

Edited by Pieter-za

I'm hungry now, thanks guys.

15 hours ago, Theunissa said:

So Recently I went to see a dietician. She Moved Me To Greens And REds and meat. Lunch white supper rwd or vice versa. but never mix them in one meal. No  sugar, no coke. etc. I Muat earth 3 times a day plus a snack 2 times( a fruit.) I feel Im eating more. But not rubbish. amd I have. manna tech during rides as drink. and 1 banana per hour. different things work for different people. I would seek a professional to help. because some foods don't work for some people and some foods do. like cheese is a no no for me. messes up my sinus. and this I'm turn affects my body because it's fighting the sinus. a healthy body language s a happy  body a happy body does better 

This new diet has affected your punctuation.